• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Safe to write Anime fanfics?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vantos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Lately, I'm starting to think that it is unsafe to write anime fanfics if you eventually hope to move on to being a real author that writes his own stuff.

Example: You write some book with original settings and characters, then it is published after the umpteenth rejection letter. The book turns out to be a hit, then you as the author gain a high amount of visibility because of it. If someone finds that before you wrote your original tale, you have been writing fanfiction, you might get sued.

Am I putting myself in danger by writing anime fanfics? (Yes, I know about fanfiction.net, but what if you grow out of the fanfic stage and become a real author?)
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it matters. So what if you started out doing fanfics? I'm sure there's plenty of authors who started out writing stories involving other people's characters. Heck, many consider it to be an homage to one of your favorite authors.

Plus, take a look at the manga world (yes, different industries, but a good parallel example). Many manga artists got their start doing doujinshi (like CLAMP), so how is it any different?

If you want to write fanfics, go for it. You certainly aren't going to get in trouble for it later.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
That's a good question: while it's true that fanfiction is technically less than legal, one of the Batman writers got her start in fanfiction (can't remember her name, but I think she's the only female Batman writer.) Embarrassment is more likely than legal trouble: fanfiction is generally seen as a childish/dorky hobby, but Jonathan Lethem and Michael Chabon may help to change that, since much of their work teeters on the brink of postmodern fanfiction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Vantos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the insight, Sakechan.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1