• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Hina

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching this anime. I finished the TV series, the two movies and the ova. I love it.

I was all bummed at the end of the series, because Naru never confessed her love for Keitaro. She just said they would make it to Tokyo U together. I was like "ahh man, that sucks."

When I went into the two movies and the ova I was thinking that it was just gonna be random events that didn't continue from the story. But fortunately I was wrong. So then after seeing the last episode of the Ova I was very happy. A good anime series ending. We don't get too many of those.

So I was wondering if anyone had some seggestions of other animes like this that I might like.
lovehinafan1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime wise I guess I would recomend Ai Yori Aioshi and and Ichigo 100%. They have somewhat of a romance story and they have hEhlariousm moments too.
Although i didn't like the LH anime. It was to short for me. And not even funny. And sterotypical too. just because Su looks like she's from India she's not! Dont give her an accent!!! spoiler[she's from Molmol!.. DAMMIT] And the accent on Kitsune... tpyical. She speaks Sotuhern Japanese. You dont have to give her a Sothern accent. It takes away from the anime. Naru's vioce was too over dramatic. And its not her style, like I thought her voice would be seet and warm since she's nice to everybody but Keitaro... in the beggining. Motkos voice was deep. I mean she is tomboyish but she shouldnt have a deep voice. She kinda sounded like a man >.<.. AND I HATE THAT! she's my favorite character... Im tomboyish (that may be why I like her...) but I dont sound like a man!
As of manga recomendations that are similar- MARS, Ichigo 100%, Fruits basket (thats another anime you can watch too), and Ai Yori Aioshi.

Last edited by lovehinafan1 on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really an expert on this genre, but Fruits Basket has good ratings. I'd also see about Ah My Goddess, it's similar. A bit older, I think, but it also has positive reviews.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Love Hina the anime was somewhat of a downer for me.

The first time I saw it, I nearly fell in love with the series, movies, and OAV. However, after a second try, I could barely sit there and force myself to watch any of it at all.

The repetitive jokes of Keitaro "innocently" groping Naru or "falling in" while one of the girls were changing or bathing got real old, real fast, and eventually became so insipid, I decided to stop around episode 9 and move on.

I'm still a bit curious to check out the manga sometime and I also hold the anime with a little regard, but for now I'll keep my distance from this franchise.

I also agree with lovehinafan1's take on the dub. It's terrible. They captured Naru's side of being b**chy, but Dorothy Melendrez's performance (much like her Kaoru in Rurouni Kenshin) lacked any kind of heartwarming gentleness and failed to balance the character out. I think that voice works very well for Meryl in Trigun, but that's about all I feel she's really good at.

Then of course there're the accents with Kaola and Kitsune, which have pretty much been addressed already, so I'll leave those alone.

Anywho, for some much better romantic comedies. I suggest Kare Kano because it's very well written and more along the serious side of things, while still maintaing a good dose of comedy throughout. It is my top title of this genre, and I would definitely recommend it.

And the only other title I can think of that would more than likely be an easy hit is School Rumble. The romance is actually quite sutble in this series, but the comedy is off the wall and adds a very light atmostphere to the show overall. The characters are very easy to get attached to, and I think you'll find this to be a lot more enjoyable than Love Hina.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Definitely check out School RUmble and Ichigo 100%. Uhhh others might be Ai Yori Aoshi, Mahoraba, and maybe AI Mai Me Strawberry Eggs
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The closest I can think of similar to Love Hina would be Mahoraba ~ Heartful days ~ - I mean, the tenant - land lord/lady relationship ^_~
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nirvana wrote:
and maybe AI Mai Me Strawberry Eggs
That reminds me, I saw the first volume of the series from a friend, and I thought it had a really good plot. Funny, but not unoriginal. Each episode was connected and the story was just really well-written. I wasn't even in my right mind when I agreed to watch a genre that I doesn't appeal to me. This is just one of those titles that jumped out as "excellent" instead of good. At thirteen episodes, it shouldn't be too long for most.
Aoi_Sekai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina is 1 of my favs. Very Happy

Although I haven't watched the American release of LH, I've watched the trailers for it and man did the dubs really suck for it...
lovehinafan1, I exactly said the same thing about Su's and Kitsune voice in another forum.

The Japanese voices r so much better. This is y i prefer the Japaneses ver. than dubbed. The Manga kicked ass. And there was alot more in it.spoiler[Also that Naru finally gets married to Keitarou]

As for similar animes and manga's, Ichigo 100%, School Rumble, Ai Yori Aoshi, Negima, A.I Love You, Pastel, He is my Master and Green Green. This is all I can think of at the mo. that contains 1 guy who gets all the girls type of anime Anime smile
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
How about Tenchi Muyo, and on a smaller scale, Please Twins.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yeah, Love Hina the anime was somewhat of a downer for me.

The first time I saw it, I nearly fell in love with the series, movies, and OAV. However, after a second try, I could barely sit there and force myself to watch any of it at all.

The repetitive jokes of Keitaro "innocently" groping Naru or "falling in" while one of the girls were changing or bathing got real old, real fast, and eventually became so insipid, I decided to stop around episode 9 and move on.

I'm still a bit curious to check out the manga sometime and I also hold the anime with a little regard, but for now I'll keep my distance from this franchise.

I also agree with lovehinafan1's take on the dub. It's terrible. They captured Naru's side of being b**chy, but Dorothy Melendrez's performance (much like her Kaoru in Rurouni Kenshin) lacked any kind of heartwarming gentleness and failed to balance the character out. I think that voice works very well for Meryl in Trigun, but that's about all I feel she's really good at.

Then of course there're the accents with Kaola and Kitsune, which have pretty much been addressed already, so I'll leave those alone.

It was hard for me to rewatch the series, too. In fact, this is the first series that I have ever watched listening to the Japanese audio track the entire way through.

I have problems with the English voice actors/actresses, but not the ones that have already been mentioned. I just cannot stand David Umansky's voice. His voice in the epitome of nerd, and it's is the reason why I listened to the seiyuu the second time through.

The main reason that I picked up this DVD was for Dorothy Melendrez' voice. I loved her in Trigun as well, and I wanted to see her in other anime so I purchased Love Hina, and The Twelve Kingdoms. She is my favourite voice actress.

And while Kaola Su's voice is just a bit too "crazy" for me and Motoko's is a bit too masculine (Mona Marshall should stick with doing boy's voices like Wolf's Rain's Toboe and Last Exile's Lucciola), I like Kitsune's English voice. I like the fact that they gave her a southern accent since her seiyuu's voice is regionalized. It reminded me of episode 8 of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, "MISSING HEARTS". The Meditech CEO's English voice actor did a Texan accent while the seiyuu did a Kansai accent.

I also like Kitsune's seiyuu's performance. I just love episode 6 "Journey" where Kitsune and Motoko make a little extra money showing off Motoko's talents and after Motoko does her thing, Kitsune's seiyuu is so funny when she receives the money from the specators. "Domo, domo, domo!" Laughing

All of my recommedations have already been given. I just wanted to share a bit of what I thought about Love Hina.
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I have to say I always get a bit annoyed with these harem animes in that you have a billion "potential" love interests but its obvious they will just end up with the female lead. Naru is like 4th on the girl depth chart of love hina in my opinion.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, definitely check out the manga if you want a more satisfying ending. If you're low on finds, get volumes 13 and 14, since LH Again covers roughly the events in volumes 10-12, with many changes for compression purposes.

I think the others have already mentioned most of the major harem series, like Chobits, Ai yori aoshi, Maison Ikoku, Please Teacher, Please Twins, To Heart, Air (to a limited extent--there's one male character and numerous female characters, but it's not really a romantic rivalry setup), Ichigo 100%, Girls Bravo, Sister Princess--some of these harem shows are more clichéd than others, so choose wisely.
msi435

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
I second Kare Kano. It is, in every way superior to Love Hina.

On a somewhat related note…

I actually tried to watch Love Hina (TV) again not too long ago and I couldn't do it. The gags got old fast and I only found my self a good chuckle every few episodes. Love Hina is a good anime for people starting out and I still respect it, but, Kare Kano as a fellow romantic comedy anime is much better Anime smallmouth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Auron_Y2K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me if "Love Hina Again" is the real final episode of all the story please???
beezis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
love hina again is the final of the anime but there is 2 mangas they didn't cover in that. so it is not the real complete ending of the full story.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2