• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz and Naruto

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Please forgive me if this should of gone in the Manga section instead, as I am unsure of where to put it. Anyways, I was thinking that as in one of the recent issue's of Shonen Jump USA a reader complained that she had trouble getting into Dragonball and Yuu Yuu Hakusho because she followed the anime as well which was way ahead of or finished as compared to the manga. I was thinking that because there are other readers that probably feel the same way, and since Viz has the licenses to both the manga and anime versions of Naruto if they will only air episodes after the manga portions of the story have run in Shonen Jump USA? Please tell me your thoughts on this.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
You never know, since the manga version of Naruto already has a huge headstart on the manga this could potentially be mirroring the Japanese release, where the anime version we'll always be far enough behind that you won't really have to worry about it, I'm thinking that as long as Viz keeps pushing at least 4 chapters a month they'll be fine, especially since the anime will be on Toonami and will only air once per week
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
I'm thinking that as long as Viz keeps pushing at least 4 chapters a month they'll be fine, especially since the anime will be on Toonami and will only air once per week
The only thing is, every time I see the magazine at a bookstore, it seems to have less pages. I know they're using thinner paper, but the page count hasn't quite been what it was. *sigh* Can't have everything...
As for your question, animalia555, I think Toonami and SJ will just keep their separate schedules. I personally would hope to see the manga portion first if the anime is based off one. The anime works like a spoiler for me.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Maybe their subscription rates dropped. I know I dropped mine when they started translating Zoro as "Zolo".
Fishpuu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not really sure. The manga has gotten a headstart and the anime will only be aired once a week so you probably won't have to worry about that for awhile. You might start, though, if CN decides to air Naruto daily. Then it'll probably easily catch up to the manga, but I don't see that happening incredibly fast so no worries. I guess. Of course, I could be totally and completely wrong! I guess we'll find out.
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
The One Piece manga started long before the anime was licensed and shown on the fox but now the anime is quite a bit beyond where it is in shonen jump. Naruto might have the same problem but not for quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aokage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote
I don't think it is a huge problem to follow an anime and manga simultaneously, unless they start to get boring. I used to follow Naruto in both forms for a long time, until they started having too many flash backs and too much whining from Sasuke. Now I follow Bleach in both anime and manga. So far so good (though Bleach the anime has some flaws).
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 am Reply with quote
Fishpuu wrote:
Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not really sure. The manga has gotten a headstart and the anime will only be aired once a week so you probably won't have to worry about that for awhile. You might start, though, if CN decides to air Naruto daily. Then it'll probably easily catch up to the manga, but I don't see that happening incredibly fast so no worries. I guess. Of course, I could be totally and completely wrong! I guess we'll find out.

But if it airs, say, Monday though Thursday, they will go though episodes really friggn' fast, like what happened to Inuyasha when it first started to air on the weekdays. I'm sure people will get rather upset when they have to wait two, up to four months for more. People might not like the fact they have to wait a week, maybe less if they rerun it during the week, but a week is sure is shorter then a months.

Edit: I got stop getting really really early to catch last night Daily Show "epiode".

Last edited by Ataru on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ok, Rough guess, based on where the manga is in the US, and the pacing of the show. . . hmm. . . if the show starts in September and runs once weekly, without a break, 52 episodes per year, they'll probably catch up to the manga by next Christmas, if not sooner. Someone could do the math, breaking down the chapters, but really that's the whole lot of pointles busywork.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Lately, they've only been having 2, maybe 3 chapters an issue for Naruto, which has been really annoying me, since I've become accustomed to having 3 or 4 chapters each month. Step up the work, Viz!
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
But if it airs, say, Monday though Thursday (...)

But it was previewed for Toonami and isn't Toonami only on Saturdays now?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
Ataru wrote:

Yes, but maybe Ataru meant that Toonami could change its schedule. I think it used to air on weekdays before Miguzi came along.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
They should keep their same schedule. It doesn't matter. The anime has some differences anyway, and it will catch up pretty quickly at the rate SJ is going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
Ataru wrote:

I highlighted the key word for you. If, instead of, it airs on Saturdays, they air on the Monday though Thursday, like in the Dragonball Z slot.

Note: It will still air on Toonami, which is on Saturday, some time between 6 to 10 PM CDT, and in September on some date. Jeez... do I got explain my what ifs.

I'm pretty sure it won't air Miguzi, mostly becasue they are keeping a American action block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1