• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Anime style" Fantastic Four cartoon on the way

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt anyone in Japan is actually working on this, but they're certainly going for the look.

http://rangerboard.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=25

I don't have a problem with the "style" being used, but that doesn't exactly mean it'll be any good either. Anyone know any details about this?

Thing really shouldn't draw on himself...

Emerje

(edit: OK, aparently there's a rumor of a 26 episode broadcast on Cartoon Network starting next year)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote
Oh, Marvel...it looks like they're handing out TV rights to their comics again, yippie! ;p

Anyway, I'm honestly not suprised to see this, but I'm also not expecting it to be all that good (Of course, I said the same thing about Teen Titans and it's not half bad). Give it some time, I imagine we'll probably see some more Marvel stuff in the anime style since American companies realized that using a similar style will actually draw in a decent audience, especially among younger viewers
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
I'm not turning cartwheels over it, but then again I disliked the reported PPG Z show in development. If they can stay somewhat true of elements in the U.S. show/comic then go for it. Just because a show a animated in a Japanese style doesn't mean it's cool.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
yawn..not to excited either from looking at the pic. But then again that babe in the fourth pic on the bottom grabbed my attention first Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not all that excited. I actually thought the old Fantastic Four cartoon they had during the "Marvel Power Hour" with Iron Man was OK, but I was young back then, and X-Men, Batman: TAS, and Spider-man were all around at that time too (dominating those hours of the day for me Anime smile).

I never really kept up with the comic either. But as a superhero group, I guess they're alright. And I definitely don't remember Invisible Woman being as hot as Jessica Alba Razz.

The Sue Richards/Storm drawn in that pic looks too much like a Barbie to me. I remember sometime during the comic, though, that they changed her look from looking a little more wholesome, to a little more of a babe.

That's Marvel for ya'.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I read in a comic book magazine that the animation for the cartoon is being done in France of all places. So that would be JapanaFranimation? There is a picture of the Fantastic Four look on Comingsoon.net, and they do look very anime-like. Which isn't a bad thing. Also, the same week the new Fantastic Four movie comes out, they are going to release the original F4 movie made about 10 years ago, which was so horrible it was never released. They cast the first actors that auditioned for the roles. It might even be better than the new movie.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The French are notorious for ripping off the anime style (Totally Spies, Code Lyoko, etc.), so that wouldn't surprise me.

This looks very "ugh" though. The red on the uniforms is totally out of place, the painted "4" on Thing's chest, the pointy, thin, practically "Aeon Flux" look that the characters have? Judging by that promo piece alone I have nothing to do with the show, evern though I generally love the FF. Of course it's possible that the promo shot misrepresents the final product.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Marvel needs to stop ripping off of anime. They are unoriginal. What, are they so desperate, they need to stoop to the level of stealing an art style to get more fans, be3cause that's what they're doing.

I'm not watching this, mainly because I"m not a superhero freak (but Batamn Begisn was awesoem).

sorry i typed fast so bad spelling abounds
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Marvel needs to stop ripping off of anime. They are unoriginal. What, are they so desperate, they need to stoop to the level of stealing an art style to get more fans, be3cause that's what they're doing.

I'm not watching this, mainly because I"m not a superhero freak (but Batamn Begisn was awesoem).

Whoa stealing art style? You do know most of asia adopted the same art style that the japanese used. Anyways, if it enhances the story and turn out really well, why be so close minded about?

Certainly, the anime style is the current trend for a lot of cartoon, so they're working with it.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

Whoa stealing art style? You do know most of asia adopted the same art style that the japanese used. Anyways, if it enhances the story and turn out really well, why be so close minded about?

Certainly, the anime style is the current trend for a lot of cartoon, so they're working with it.

First of all, how does a show's animation "enhance the plot"? See, that's how they're trying to draw viewers in, by saying "Hey, it's got Japanese eyes and sweatdrops!!! Wacky show!!! Gather round and watch it!!!! Yay!!! Confused

Also, anime-style is not a trend; the Japanese created it and now these Hollywood idiots are trying to mimic it (and you just proved my point even further by saying the rest of the continent did the same). They should stop right now, realize their mistake, and draw something else (or they can stop animating altogether, seeing as how MOST American cartoons suck). They think anime is just appearance, as in "Let's draw big eyes and add sweatdrops and then the show will be this whole "annie-may" thing that everyone's talking about! Whee!" Buncha douchebags, that's what they are. They don't realize that anime is about much more than eyes. Then again, they ARE animating crap, so their brains must be the same.

spoiler[The only good American animations are Family Guy and American Dad. Everything else is junk, especially Matt Groening's POS called The Crapsons and Crapurama.][/spoiler]
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
And Flame-O was his name-O...

Dude: seriously, RELAX! Not all of American cartoons are crap. Though right now only Batman comes to mind. America has "some" potential in the field of animation, but they are a little misguided right now, shuting down all of the 2D animation studios, focusing only on 3D, borrowing the style from anime, that`s all true, but it is just a fad, a one time thing, at most. They cannot continue to produce "semi-anime" looking things forever, in time they will find their way back to the roots.

And about your spoiler PS: BLASPHEMY! Burn in Hell!
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
And Flame-O was his name-O...

Dude: seriously, RELAX! Not all of American cartoons are crap. Though right now only Batman comes to mind. America has "some" potential in the field of animation, but they are a little misguided right now, shuting down all of the 2D animation studios, focusing only on 3D, borrowing the style from anime, that`s all true, but it is just a fad, a one time thing, at most. They cannot continue to produce "semi-anime" looking things forever, in time they will find their way back to the roots.

And about your spoiler PS: BLASPHEMY! Burn in Hell!

My spoiler is correct. FG and AD rule, no matter what you say They both overpower The Simpsons and Futurama easily; that's why they have better ratings and that's why FG came back from the dead with a new season and movie The Simpsons is old news and is no longer (well, never was) funny because it's been going on for way too long Futurama bombed right away because it was just boring and the only reason AS got it was because they needed something bad.

I will continue to flame American craptoons forever. YOU CANNOT STOP ME! SIEG ANIME!!!
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
You know that really is a matter of oppinion, I like FG on the same level as The Simpsons and Futurama, to me they are al lgood, varying on the level of "the naughty" stuff. I kinda started caring less for FG when I reached 20 and wanted soemthing more tasteful at times. Still I love it, but equally wth the Simps and Futurama. But that is something for another thread:

Quote:
I will continue to flame American craptoons forever. YOU CANNOT STOP ME! SIEG ANIME!!!

Yeah, I probably cant, but with Gods help, ther are people with the proper authority here who can Wink
And again: this is the kind of person whom, while very eager, we commend that, is actually bad for the fandom, spoufing run down, rusted statements like "sieg anime", "anime is your life" "western cartoosn sux". Kinda reminds me of the linux zealots, all of the regular admins hated them for making their entire community look like jerks. didn't think I would see of the anime zealouts again, was sure they were extinct.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Also, anime-style is not a trend; the Japanese created it and now these Hollywood idiots are trying to mimic it (and you just proved my point even further by saying the rest of the continent did the same). They should stop right now, realize their mistake, and draw something else (or they can stop animating altogether, seeing as how MOST American cartoons suck).

Well, the Japanese ripped off the anime style from Disney (and that's according to the Japanese, not according to me), so I see nothing wrong wtih ripping it right back. My only concern is that it's ripped WELL, and I've yet to see a non-Asian produced animation that ACTUALLY mimics anime well. Teen Titans has it's good points but most of the "humor takes" that they used are forced and unnatural.

Quote:
The only good American animations are Family Guy and American Dad. Everything else is junk, especially Matt Groening's POS called The Crapsons and Crapurama.

I don't know about the Crapsons or Crapurama, but Simpsons and Futurama, two of his other shows are excelent. Simpsons isn't much for animation but the writing is great, and Futurama has both great writing AND excelent animation (technically equal to any anime I've seen, even if you don't personally like the character design style).

Oh, and BTW, if Futurama is so bad, then why do reruns of it which everyone has seen 100 times outperform ANY of the brand new anime they run on CN?
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hello inevitable "lol anime style" debate. How are you today?

I'm not the first to say this, but regardless of what style used, it's all going to depend on if they can make it "work". Which basically means the writing has to not suck. DC kicks Marvel's ass when it comes to cartoons these days (Justice League Unlimited is possibly one of the best cartoons ever, Teen Titans is actually quite enjoyable), so I hope they really make a come back with this one. It seems like it's Marvel's turn to screw up moviewise this year - I can't see how FF could ever possibly top Batman Begins - so I pray it's Marvel's turn to make a great new cartoon. I really, really hope so. It's been too long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2