• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Original American manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaramaguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Anyone into 100% Original Authentic Manga by American creators?

What original American manga have you read, and enjoyed?

We do have some original American manga from Antartic Press, Seven Seas Entertainment, TOKYOPOP (with their Rising Stars of Manga and Original English Language (OEL) manga initiatives)... even DC/Vertigo (Jill Thompson's Death: At Death's Door) and Marvel (with their, well, unsuccessful, Marvel Mangaverse and Tsunami imprints).
MOJO JO JOE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Give me a few years after I graduate collage I'll be doing my own manga and hope to begin a publishing company of my own too.I've been writing for 4 years and I have note books full of idea's and actaul stories.

Anyways I haven't read any manga from american creators.
red stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
I have Jill Thompson's Death: At Death's Door, and while it's kinda cute, the only thing "manga" about it is the size and drawing style. "The Dream Hunters", by Neil Gaiman & Yoshitaka Amano is much more Sandman, AND much more Japanese than Jill Thompson's book.

The only other "amerimanga" I have are Von Van Hunter (which is more of a parody type thing), and Elf Quest (which was originally published in the 70's). Generally I stay away from non Japanese stuff though, at least the manga-style stuff.
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
There is actually a company publishing American made manga, Seven Seas Entertainment. As of right now they are producing a couple of series:

No Mans Land - A story of a cowboy bounty hunter who kills demons in the old west that he help set loose after a dark conspiracy.

Amazing Agent Luna - About a genetically engineered espionage agent for the U.S government, but now she has to deal with the awkwardnes of an being a spy in a high school, aka Full Metal Panic just with a girl.

Blades for Barter - A comedy about a freelance samurai who does various jobs with comedic outcomes.

You can check them all out at gomanga.com. I have currently only read No Man's Land and its alright, nothing amazing, the only problem is there quite pricy, it was 10.99 for it, which is more expensive then the Shonen Jump titles, but around Tokyopop and Dark Horses prices.
cboudreau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
As it stands now, I'm not a fan of American made "manga". It's not that I don't like or respect the style as being used by North Americans. It's that I've not yet found any really good stories. I've only come across two so far:

Death at Death's Door
Next Exit by Christy Lijewski
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Bryan Lee O'Malley's "Scott Pilgrim" series is terrific. Even though no one thinks of it as OEL manga because it's not published by any of the "manga companies." Razz But it very much is, in terms of the internals rather than the externals, and Mal even cut his teeth at the Anime Artists Headquarters (eventually ditching the generally-accepted idea of "manga/anime style" for his own personal style).
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Vash_the_Stamp3d3 wrote:

Blades for Barter - A comedy about a freelance samurai who does various jobs with comedic outcomes.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm generally unhappy with such a misplaced cultural concept insofar as an American writing about Samurai.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Bryan Lee O'Malley's "Scott Pilgrim" series is terrific. Even though no one thinks of it as OEL manga because it's not published by any of the "manga companies." Razz But it very much is, in terms of the internals rather than the externals, and Mal even cut his teeth at the Anime Artists Headquarters (eventually ditching the generally-accepted idea of "manga/anime style" for his own personal style).

<3 My roommate introduced me to that series recently and I'm totally addicted now. I agree that while the style doesn't fit neatly into any manga art category, the storytelling is top notch. I love it.

I also enjoy Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan. Again, fantastic storytelling. And I just love the artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Another great artist who is influenced heavily by manga, but really isn't part of this whole "amerimanga" lets copy everything movement and not think of our own ideas is Paul Pope. At one point Pope actually was working at Kodansha at one point.

In whole I think that American artists wanting to take what's good about manga should really study what's going on in france with the Novelle Manga movement if they want to get an audience other than the usual die hard fans that read "amerimanga".

Also here is Becky Cloonan's Deviant Art Page and Bryan Lee O'Malley's homepage for some samples of their work. Look at O'Malley's old comics and you'll see stuff that is a lot like the typical amerimanga, as he developed he broadened his style.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Princess Ai created by Courtney Love?
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody check out MBQ yet and how is it? From the small preview in Takuhai, it looks like it can be something intersting.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
Another great artist who is influenced heavily by manga, but really isn't part of this whole "amerimanga" lets copy everything movement and not think of our own ideas is Paul Pope. At one point Pope actually was working at Kodansha at one point.

In whole I think that American artists wanting to take what's good about manga should really study what's going on in france with the Novelle Manga movement if they want to get an audience other than the usual die hard fans that read "amerimanga".

Also here is Becky Cloonan's Deviant Art Page and Bryan Lee O'Malley's homepage for some samples of their work. Look at O'Malley's old comics and you'll see stuff that is a lot like the typical amerimanga, as he developed he broadened his style.

Funnily enough, O'Malley's work wouldn't qualify for the term "amerimanga" because he's Canadian.

Corey Lewis is another new artist at Oni whose style is laced with manga, although far more psychotic (and not as polished as Mal's). His new book "Peng" is, well, Naruto but with kickball.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Vash_the_Stamp3d3 wrote:
No Mans Land - A story of a cowboy bounty hunter who kills demons in the old west that he help set loose after a dark conspiracy.

This looks good.

mistress_reebi wrote:
Isn't Princess Ai created by Courtney Love?

Technically, no. (It was more like D.J. Milky, someone else, and a little of Love, with Kujiradou doing the art.) However, they got the idea in America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Seven Sea's stuff so far isn't too bad. I've read the first volumes to No Man's Land, Last Hope, and Blade for Barter and the first two aren't too bad.

No Man's Land is a little lacking in terms of story for the first volume, but I'm thinking that's because it's only the first volume. Hopefully with volume two things'll get better. The art is VERY nice tho', quite enjoyable.

Last Hope is probably the best of the three, in terms of both art and story. It has a nice cast of characters, and looks very good. Looking forward to vlume two.

Blade for Barter LOOKS good, the style reminding me of Eichiro Oda actually, but I didn't enjoy the story too much.

They actually have three other titles in the works - currently being released as webcomics - Captain Nemo, Unearthly, and Aoi House. Unearthly and Aoi House look pretty promising, but I ain't diggin' Captain Nemo, either in terms of story or art.

And the only two I've read from Tokyopop are Van Von Hunter (which felt a little weak compared to the webcomic) and Peach Fuzz. The art in Fuzz is a little static, but the story shows promise. I started to read MGQ, but it couldn't hold my interest. From what I hear the stories are supposed to be kinda slice-of-life-ish, but the first story just isn't impressive to me.

And don't forget the loads of webcomics that're manga inspired. 9thElsewhere, Explotation Now (sorta), Megatokyo, and RPG World are all pretty good.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
mangaramaguy wrote:

...and Marvel (with their, well, unsuccessful, Marvel Mangaverse and Tsunami imprints).

Can someone tell me what this is all about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2