• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KOROSHIYA 1

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOJO JO JOE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know a few things about the manga I've seen the live action movie ichi the killer and I will see the anime prequal soon. I also Know about there being a live action preqaul but I still would like to know more about the manga and were I can get it.
milcor1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Japan. America would wet their pants if they saw it over here.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Like milcor1 said, the chances of it being licenced anytime soon are pretty slim. While we have seen ultra-violent things like Berserk and Battle Royale, Koroshiya 1 makes those look almost mild in comparison. While it has no more blood or gore than the titles mentioned, much of the violence is sexual, and the level of sadomaschocism is through the roof. There is quite a bit of nudity including scenes of male genetalia (somewhat censored of course) being mutalated, among other things.
Despite the grotesque levels of violence, Ichi actually has real substance to it; much more than the vast majority of manga out there. It's very well written and paced at a break-neck speed, and Hideo Yamamoto's art is effectivly creepy and bizarre (just look at milcor1's avatar). The story does somewhat bog down in the middle, when Yamamoto becomes lost in the statements he's trying to make about society and the torture becomes excessive even compared to the rest of the manga. But by the tenth and final volume everything falls in place. Yamamoto's existentialist ideas about modern society repressing humans come into place wonderfully, telling the reader just enough to make them think about what he's saying without overstating his point.
MOJO JO JOE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Anime preqaul I watched it early today but it should have put more into it. I would have to agree most Americans would wet their pants seeing this stuff. Most of my friends give me a weird face after showing them the live action movie. Soon I will be learning japanese and one day I hope to start up a manga/anime production company. I am already planing on to be a writter but I just suck at drawing. My manga would be pretty dark I've been writing since 8th grade.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I am a VERY big Takashi Miike fan, and I've always had a soft spot for Ichi since it was the first by him I saw, so I'm kinda curious how the manga compares. Not in terms of "which is better" or whatever since that's entirely subjective, but was the movie faithful and if not how are they different, etc. That kind of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1