• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
W40k anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I have been meaning to ask this for a couple of weeks now. Warhammer 40,000 is one of the largest table top RPGs anywhere. The rules have had four different revisions, and the game has influenced countless books that take place in the 40k universe. A computer game has come out (Dawn of War) which, in my opinion, is one of the greatest computer games ever.

The little CGI movie at the begining of Dawn of War has stuned many. That was something many people have been waiting for: the ability to see the fearless soldiers of the Imperium come to life.

Games Workshop has gotten in claws into every form of media except...the "silver screen" and our homes.

Do you think Warhammer 40,000 should become an Anime?

For those of you not familiar with 40k, here is a link:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40K/default.htm
Grendel61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the worst ideas I've heard of. There is no way that the anime medium could ever capture the grim darkness of the far future.

That awesome CGI opening movie for Dawn of War is not anime. Can you see a bunch of bright eyed teenagers (because that's what they'd be if an anime was made) fighting for days straight against a horde of chaos warped heretics? No.
ActiveX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Grendel61 wrote:
his is one of the worst ideas I've heard of. There is no way that the anime medium could ever capture the grim darkness of the far future.

That awesome CGI opening movie for Dawn of War is not anime. Can you see a bunch of bright eyed teenagers (because that's what they'd be if an anime was made) fighting for days straight against a horde of chaos warped heretics? No.

I take it you haven't watched Gantz, Hellsing, or Berserk before Wink Gantz is so far one of the bloodiest anime's I've watched. I bought a 2 episode DVD of it to see what it was like. It was just episode 3 & 4 and let me just say, war can be captured in anime, just don't think of the anime aimed at younger audiences like Sailor Moon, DBZ, or any of those other animes popular with the younger audiences.
Grendel61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I am thinking of those. I own Berserk. Hellsing is a walk in the park compared to Warhammer 40,000.

Thousands of psychic souls are fed to the Emporer on his Golden Throne each day in the Imperium, just so that humanity can have a navigational beacon for FTL travel through the warp.

"It is not the Horror of War that troubles me, but the Unseen Horrors of Peace."

"The more I learn about these aliens, the more I come to understand what drives them, the more I hate them. I hate them for what they are and for what they may become. I hate them not because they hate us but because thay are incapable of good, honest, human hatred." - Inquisitor Agmar on Tyranids

"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live..." - In Exterminatus Extremis

Believe me, if you know Warhammer then you'll know that the idea of an anime based on it would be ridiculous. The style is just all wrong.

Last edited by Grendel61 on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I argee with Grendel in a certain respect. A Japanese animation series or film isn't as capable in drawing really gritty images seen in western animation films like Watership Down. A rougher approach is certainly much more commendable.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, in response to Grendel's statement, if the series was surrounded aroud the Adeptus Astartes, you wouldn't need to worry about "Big Eyes" or Teenagers.

Infact, every character (the important ones) are usually over a century old. They could make an Anime on the traitorus acts of Horous. Or on the Inquisition.

It would seem like a challenge for the animators. All the Augmentations and details that would be needed to be delicatly drawn. That alone, would draw in any animator.

I wouldn't so much as compare what it could look like to hellsing. But it would be a direction in which anime would rarely travle.

Right now I am stairing at a picture of Inquisitor Eisenhorn (the one on the trilogy cover) and it looks relly nice and what spawned the idea...
Grendel61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Well, my biggest grief is that if such a thing as a Warhammer 40k anime was made properly, the style would be so different that the only thing making it 'anime' would be the fact that it came from japan. So calling it such just seems wrong.

I do agree that it would be a direction rarely taken in anime, but I can't see many of the production companies being able to pull it off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1