• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How does Adult Swim decide what shows fit?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to get into Scryed (by the way, I haven't heard that word mentioned yet in the show, so what does it mean?) on Adult Swim, but it just annoys me. For some reason it reminds me slightly of Gundam which I didn't like, either.

What I'm curious about is how does Scryed "fit" with the whole "Adult Swim" concept? The same question could probably apply to Inuyasha, as well. These series don't seem to really address adult themes, nor do they seem to have overly graphic depictions of sex or violence. To me, Inuyasha and Scryed could be Saturday morning cartoons, or afterschool cartoons like when I would come home and watch He-Man or Voltron as a kid.

To me, "Adult Swim" anime series that do fit would be things like Wolf's Rain, GITS: SAC, Bebop, and Paranoia Agent, to name just a few. These shows deal with a variety of "higher level" ideas like spirituality, the future of humanity, justice, vengeance, lust. Basically, they deal with the concerns of humanity.

I don't really get a sense that shows like Scryed or Inuyasha really explore these concepts at all. But maybe I'm wrong and there is some piece that I'm missing. I'm interested to hear what others think about this.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
The problem with Inuyasha as an afterschool program is obvious, he's a demon, and if Goku can't go to hell in the afternoon than surely Inuyasha couldn't be a demon, and would you want to go through and edit out every single instance of the word "demon" from the show?

As far as s-CRY-ed, they could never put a show where *major spoiler* spoiler[half of your main characters die] on during the day, at least not a kids network.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
Talking about ages *or something*

I'm surprised we get to see that red guy's ass from cow and chicken, but then in a later ADULT SWIM sched, we can't see Harumi Chono's ass

... That was pretty weird... where was I? Shocked
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
The same way Magic: the Gathering Bans/Restricts Cards:

DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Excellent Laughing
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
My memory is failing me, but a while back [as] went V.O.D. Some sort of partnership was made where [as] aired some of its shows along with some other companys/groups? (something like that). Anyway s-CRY-ed was aquired through that, so it was only natural that they would air it on their cable block, why not?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
The problem with Inuyasha as an afterschool program is obvious, he's a demon, and if Goku can't go to hell in the afternoon than surely Inuyasha couldn't be a demon, and would you want to go through and edit out every single instance of the word "demon" from the show?

Hmm... Seems odd that demons would be a no-no for kids. After all, I referenced He-Man which I used to come home and watch when I was 10 years old. What the heck was Skellitor if not some kind of Demon. Maybe they never CALLED him a Demon, but I could figure that out on my own!

I guess I can concede your point about s-Cry-ed, though. Although, if I wasn't scarred for life spoiler[by Bambi dying or watching The Shining] when I was 5 years old, s-Cry-ed wouldn't destroy me! Very Happy
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:46 am Reply with quote
Heh, the times are changing, they are far more strict today then they were 20 or so years ago when it comes to what makes it on television.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DaGreatKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
wait so they actually choose shows.... it just seems like they air whatever they get the rights to.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Heh, the times are changing, they are far more strict today then they were 20 or so years ago when it comes to what makes it on television.

And this is largely because parents increasingly seem to want to blame the things that may influence their children rather than control what influences them.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
You kidding? It's become much LESS strict with adult shows. Decades ago you couldn't say "pregnant" on television, and homosexuality was practically a sin. Don't forget those negroes.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
But everything is kinda liberated now, don't you think?

For the most part, they can even make games about vietnam Razz *bad ones at that*

... ???

Wait, did anyone remember how they changed the TMNT name in... th UK?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

And this is largely because parents increasingly seem to want to blame the things that may influence their children rather than control what influences them.

How are they more strick today then 20 years ago? You can basically watch gay guys go out on dates on MTV or watch the Carl's Jr commerical featuring Parish Hilton watching yourself with barely any clothes on. There's more sex and violence on tv now then ever before.

totalgeek wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

I guess I can concede your point about s-Cry-ed, though. Although, if I wasn't scarred for life spoiler[by Bambi dying or watching The Shining] when I was 5 years old, s-Cry-ed wouldn't destroy me! Very Happy

Scryed isnt' for dumbass and that includes 5 year old kids. Maybe it's on A-S because adults can comprehend the underlying meaning of the show more than some punk 11 year old kid that can only go "cool they're fighting". Take a show like Planetes, that isn't filled with demon or violence or sex...nothing graphic or extreme, but require some intellegence to appreciate it. But whatever the reason is, that's up to CN.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Scryed gets pretty damned brutal later in the series, especially spoiler[the final fight between Kazuma and Ryuhou]
DaGreatKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
yea so like i was saying... there doesnt seem to be any thought process as to what shows they air. they do more experimenting than anything. thats why a lot of their shows just flat out flop.

if ur talking about in terms of content. on a children's cartoon channel of course their not gonna let shows with sexual references or "obscene" language air in the daytime. words like "damn" and "hell" dont make it on their daytime shows. everything on in the day is kiddie stuff. alot of the anime on a adult swim have serious themes, which i guess is not intended for the younger audience. thats my take on it at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2