• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Editor's Choice Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
Viz put out some very good editor's choice titles. I would want to check out more of thier line in the future. In the meantime, talk about your favorite Editor's Choice.

My top Favorite:

Blue Spring: I really like the artwork, it felt surreal at times. The stories was offbeat, but was suprisingly engaging to read. Too bad it was only 1 volume long.

Vagabond:
Really deep Samurai manga based on Musashi. A dramatic story of one man who will be come the greatest swordsman in japan.

Short Cuts:
I really like the humor, some of the stories was really clever. Bizarre situation and funny satire on japanese's high school girls in manga. There's also a parody of american-style cartoon, which is a riot.

Other Great Manga that I'm still reading: Black & White, Dance Til Tomorrow, Sanctuary

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I only liked Vagabond, although Maison Ikkoku was enjoyable too. The problem is, the Editor's Choice titles aren't that appealing to me. The titles I enjoy most are grouped under other categories.

Vagabond falls under the general theme of titles that I enjoy: er...vagabonds. Titles like...vagabond and any samurai/wanderer/lots of swords! titles often capture my attention, and I enjoy all of those that I have read.

The first I had read of this particular author was Slam Dunk. Slam Dunk is a lot more "loose" and not as serious as Vagabond, so it was suprising at first to see the serious-ness in this series. But it is a serious theme.

Blegh! I am getting nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I've only read two of those titles. One would be Nausicaa which was very good. Of course, we are talking about Miyazaki, I don't know how it could be bad. The other one was Gyo. Its kind of a horror thing but it wasn't all that scary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I love Flowers and Bees. I wish I had half as much insight into women as Moyoko Anno has into guys. It's like she can read our minds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the only one I've read yet is Nausicaa, but that one in particular I love. The world Miyazaki has created is so grand and epic in scope, bleak yet tinged with hope. I have yet to see the movie, and even though I hear its much more simplified I would love to see Nausicaa's world in full color and motion. After getting migranes from the extremely small page size and bad printing quality of the first edition, I also can't wait to start collecting the second edition.

Aside from Nausicaa, I plan to start Phoenix(is it true that it's been cancelled?) because I really do need to start experiencing some of Osamu's stuff, and Maison Ikkoku because romance is lacking in my shonen-dominated collection.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Junko Mizuno! Like I said in the favorite manga artist thread, her work is incredibly inventive and a little on the macabre side. Plus, many of her comics (all of those offered from Viz) are fully colored. And her character designs are so sweet. I always recommend Princess Mermaid to anyone new to her work, because it's simply my favorite. But all of her comics are great.

I also love Short Cuts. It's rare that I don't laugh out loud when reading it (even for the 20th and 30th times! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop).

Oh, and here's the Editor's Choice list, for those who want to see the selection of titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I just found out that Viz is releasing Baron, The Cat Returns next month. I don't know if it'll be on Editor's Choice or not but I'll definitely get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I love Flowers and Bees. I wish I had half as much insight into women as Moyoko Anno has into guys. It's like she can read our minds.

I really wanna check this out along with Junko Mizuno.

Gyo and Maison Ikkoku were good. I was expecting great things and even though they were enjoyable, they could have been much better.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't imagine "Maison Ikkoku" being much better. To me it's THE best manga romance series of all time and my personal favorite.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Flowers and Bee: This is one of the funniest story I've read so far. Basically, poor Komatsu is your every day geeky loser until he stubble across a beauty salon. The salon, run by evil will help him be more attractive, yet they plan on torturing his soul.

Komatsu wants to get notices and attention like the other cool guys in his school. But with zero luck with pretty girls and low self esteem, Komatsu finds himself in many awkward yet funny situation.

I love every moment of this seinen manga. Kotmatsu's subconcious and insecurity is really funny, especially when things doesn't go as planned (which is liked always).

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
smutchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I've just ordered Short Cuts because everyone keeps saying how funny it is! Very Happy
I also read some examples, I think it might just hit the spot...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Really is hard to pick; the whole line is just stellar. But it's pretty hard to beat Nausicaa. Really is one of the few stories that I'd consider flawless in just about every aspect (Miazaki's pages and layouts perhapse aren't as impressive as some, but the rest of epic is perfect). Definitally one of the top three mangas ever.
Phoenix as a whole is stellar, though it's somewhat inconsistant: you get Tezuka at his best (volume 2 and 4), his somewhat mediocre (3), and what's inbetween (1) which is still pretty damn impressive. Even the so-so parts are enjoyable compared to most manga. Vagabond of course is exellent. I've got to give it to Inoue, because he really puts his heart into making it a great epic and creating a believable and human Musashi. Even when it gets caught up in a fight (Kojiro ark) it still remains at least entertaining.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Got kind of cut off there. But I won't really go into the stuff everyone else mentioned (Maison Ikkoku, Flowers and Bees, Blue Spring, Mizuno, and the majority of the EC titles are all exellent). Two titles that I feel really get overlooked are No.5 and Dance till Tommorow. No.5 does have a solid following becaue of Matsumoto's fans, and while I wouldn't consider it his best work (Black and White and Ping Pong are the best of his stuff IMO), it's definitally his most unique, and that alone is saying a hell of alot. It's weirdness for the sake of weirdness, but under that surreal and dreamy exterior there's a facinating world and characters.
I consider Dance till Tommorow to be one of the best romance/comedies out there, second only to Maison Ikkoku, and one of the few ones actually aimed at adults. It's downright hilarious, with wit and sarcasm, as well as a very touching side. Naoki Yamamoto is one of the most underappreciated manga-ka out there simply because many dismiss him because he draws very errotic stories (after all, there's a chapter in DTT called "The Very Long Orgasim"). He's an exellent writer, and his stories are filled with intellegence and potent themes. DTT isn't even his best: Arigatou and Beleivers are some of the best examples of modern manga I can thing of. I really hope they'll get picked up someday.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Got kind of cut off there. But I won't really go into the stuff everyone else mentioned (Maison Ikkoku, Flowers and Bees, Blue Spring, Mizuno, and the majority of the EC titles are all exellent). Two titles that I feel really get overlooked are No.5 and Dance till Tommorow. No.5 does have a solid following becaue of Matsumoto's fans, and while I wouldn't consider it his best work (Black and White and Ping Pong are the best of his stuff IMO), it's definitally his most unique, and that alone is saying a hell of alot. It's weirdness for the sake of weirdness, but under that surreal and dreamy exterior there's a facinating world and characters.
I consider Dance till Tommorow to be one of the best romance/comedies out there, second only to Maison Ikkoku, and one of the few ones actually aimed at adults. It's downright hilarious, with wit and sarcasm, as well as a very touching side. Naoki Yamamoto is one of the most underappreciated manga-ka out there simply because many dismiss him because he draws very errotic stories (after all, there's a chapter in DTT called "The Very Long Orgasim"). He's an exellent writer, and his stories are filled with intellegence and potent themes. DTT isn't even his best: Arigatou and Beleivers are some of the best examples of modern manga I can thing of. I really hope they'll get picked up someday.

All the wonderful titles that haven't been lisenced yet makes me so giddy with enthusiasm. So much to look forward too. Long live mangaaaaa.

As for editors choice titles, Vagabond because of the art and realism portrayed in the subject material, No.5 because of the unique art and storyline, nausicaa cause of its epicness, and others like Phoenix, Blue Spring, and Black and White. Looking forward to purchasing more editors choice titles in the future.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, Dance Till tomorrow is godly good. So much story pack into each volume and very stimulating at times. My only grip is how Suekichi's hair fall off because of stress. I know you can get grey hair, but I never heard of anyone in their late teenage years to go bald because of stress. This is probably my favorite romance manga.

As for No. 5, it was just really weird that I can't get into it (I love Black and White as well as Blue Spring) and I didn't like the oversized book, I wish it was more like Black and White's size. Maybe I should read it again past the 3rd chapter.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2