• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you ever been hesitant about watching a show.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
Have you ever been hesitant about watching a show. This is happening with Four shows first is Kare Kano I had the first 2 dvds rented from netflix. But I put one in and saw the main menu and just could not hit play it just seemed stange seeing the two from what it showed. I had just finished watching a show thet messed me up a bit.

The second was Voices of a Distant Star I had the dvd also rented from netflix I had read what it was about it did not sound like a very happy show I had the dvd in and it was just something about how the main menu on the dvd seemed sort of sad. Also I had just finished watching a show thet messed me up a bit.

Third is Uta Kata happend about a week ago i watched the little bit on the first epp before the opening and just got the stragest feeling from that seemed really sad.

And NGE for some reason not sure why.

Also is Uta∽Kata a happy show or sad show or dark or something.

Has anyone else been hesitant about watching a show and you did not really know why.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
Third is Uta Kata happend about a week ago i watched the little bit on the first epp before the opening and just got the stragest feeling from that seemed really sad.

Also is Uta∽Kata a happy show or sad show or dark or something.

Uta~Kata's...melancholy. Very melancholy. It's kinda happy-ish at first, but there's always this ominous "something just over the horizon" feel from the very outset that just grows & grows to a point, and then the last few episodes are just pretty much dark & foreboding all the way through. Great stuff, though, and it's always good to know that there's someone else who bothered to look past the fanservice to see what the show really had to offer (seriously, too many people write this thing off as a fanservice show without really giving it a chance).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
The second was Voices of a Distant Star I had the dvd also rented from netflix I had read what it was about it did not sound like a very happy show I had the dvd in and it was just something about how the main menu on the dvd seemed sort of sad. Also I had just finished watching a show thet messed me up a bit.

What?!?!?...Did you actually watch it? Or returned it? Voices was Magnificiant. I love it. The ending too, was a happy ending. People always miss this: Nobaru said spoiler["nailed that armada duty..." ]and the alien says spoiler["you'll see him again." ]I cried at the end...

Ok, so...It seems that you just dislike anime that is...not up beat? Thats ok, everyone has their own personal tastes, just because you couldn't watch it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you, or that you are any less than an anime fan.

I have not watched an anime before because it was boring to me, Paranoia agent bored the hell out of me the first 15 min, so I went to bed. Not a big deal...
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
I enjoy a lot of the darker, more serious anime like X, Blue Gender, Paronia Agent, Jin Roh, Haibane Renmei. Wolf's Rain is the masterpiece as far as I'm concerned with current releases.
Well Saikano, I been looking forward to watching for about three years. I watched a few fansubbed episodes. I've been looking forward to watching the whole series. Each time I've gone in to rent something, I get something else.
In the end, when the final decision is made, it hasn't happened. I'm begining to wonder if......I don't want to be that depressed.

All the best,

Nani?
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
Gundam Wing, or Seed whatever. I still haven't watched one episode of it, I just don't think I'll like it at all because of all the exaggurated looking mechs in the endless galaxy that has been done a million times over. I'm not saying Gundam isn't original I can't judge becaus I haven't seen it but I'm just not up for another plotless biff. Another anime I've been hesitant at watching is InuYasha for a few reasons. The first reason is because I've seen the first 12 episodes and I didn't particularly like them and if I was to see the 100+ episodes I just have a feeling I might be wasting my time... On the other hand, I've heard that it gets MUCH better after about 20 episodes and if this is so then it sounds a lot like Naruto. This is bad and good because I don't really want to watch such an emotionally involved anime just to leave me begging for more at the end. I get too involved in anime especially Naruto and if InuYasha is anything like this then I'm not prepared for long-term anime just yet.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Gundam Wing, or Seed whatever. I still haven't watched one episode of it, I just don't think I'll like it at all because of all the exaggurated looking mechs in the endless galaxy that has been done a million times over. I'm not saying Gundam isn't original I can't judge becaus I haven't seen it but I'm just not up for another plotless biff.

That's the thing about Gundam... the mechs are basically a supporting character to the series, and often take a backseat to the story itself. I can assure you that SeeD has more plot to it than the average anime series. Moreover, while not a Gundam fan in general, I really enjoyed SeeD. If you watch it, you won't be wasting your time. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Anime^fangirl^shenlu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote
Serial experiments Lain
I watched the first episode and I haven't watched another since. It's just so weird and doesn't really grab you. The art is kinda cool but again it's weird and not really like anything else I've seen (which can sometimes be a good thing) but in this case it's just... weird. Question Also... Miyuki-chan in wonderland Shocked I completely refused to watch it for weeks after I received it and when I finally did watch it it kinda creeped me out (clamp being an entirely female business and all) and i probably wont watch it ever again but Anime dazed
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
I was hesitant about my G-Gundam & Mobile Suit Gundam viewings since I only had Super Robot Wars experience backing them up...and Gundam Wing did them no favours.

philg wrote:
Gundam Wing, or Seed whatever. I still haven't watched one episode of it, I just don't think I'll like it at all because of all the exaggurated looking mechs in the endless galaxy that has been done a million times over. I'm not saying Gundam isn't original I can't judge becaus I haven't seen it but I'm just not up for another plotless biff.

The first Series effectively set the direction of 80s' Mecha, so yeah, it was pretty original...initially.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Kino's Journey originally the only reason that I bought it was because it was cheap for a new anime (IIRC I paid $15 for it) and that the few people that had seen it liked it. After seeing the first DVD I made sure I paid attention to the release dates for the next three DVDs. Extremely good "thinkers" anime that anyone should see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1