• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
someone hate Fushigi yuugi and kenshin ><:

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekin13

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
so i loaned a buddy of mine 2 set of animes kenshin and fushigi yuugi. two weeks later he phoned me and complain for 30 mins how it's so suck. so i replied "it's a good anime, look you call me to talk about it. " after complainig how fushigi suck he start to complain about kenshin. i hung up the phone, drive to his house and eat all his food. after I'm doning eating I called him fat ^^ he deserved that. he the first person i know that hate fushigi yuugi
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
ekin13 wrote:
so i loaned a buddy of mine 2 set of animes kenshin and fushigi yuugi. two weeks later he phoned me and complain for 30 mins how it's so suck. so i replied "it's a good anime, look you call me to talk about it. " after complainig how fushigi suck he start to complain about kenshin. i hung up the phone, drive to his house and eat all his food. after I'm doning eating I called him fat ^^ he deserved that. he the first person i know that hate fushigi yuugi

I have to admit this post is kind of funny (unintentionally, maybe). Nevertheless I think you should edit your post and at least tell us why your friend hates Fushigi Yuugi and Kenshin. Or why you think they're great and why he's wrong in your opinion.
msi435

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
+ You should read the rules, spelling is key! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Trickstr

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
well, I've never seen either of them. buts thats because I dont think i would like them.
I'm sure there are plently of people who wouldn't like it and therefor havn't seen it cause it doesn't look like the kind of thing they would like.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ekin13 wrote:
i hung up the phone, drive to his house and eat all his food. after I'm doning eating I called him fat ^^

Someone got pwned... is pwned still cool? Anyway, some series is not for everyone. FY is pretty heavy in drama area, while Kenshin has some drama in it, it's mostly action. Check with him and see what type of movies he likes and try to match with anime. But before that, replace the dude's food.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... maybe because of

(Fushigi Yuugi)

Miaka: TAMAHOME!!!!!
Tamahome: MIAKA!!!!!

And again...

Tamahome: MIAKA!!!!!
Miaka: TAMAHOME!!!!!

Miaka's bodyguards: MIAKA!!!!!!!! (dawg)

It's a good series but the repeated shouting of their names just gets in the nerves. Well, about Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) though.... I can't think anything that would make him hate it except (The Feng Shui Arc). I think the Anime should have ended in Shishio or Amakusa arc. I mean, the series became weirder and weirder in each arc.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ekin13 wrote:
two weeks later he phoned me and complain for 30 mins how it's so suck.

Yeah, God forbid someone have a different opinion. How wrong of them, right? Such a terrible person they are. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, why don't you just grow up, okay?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
but you know, though he has a perfect right to NOT like those two series (personally, I loved 'em. call me a sap, but FY was sweet even if it was over-board on the Miaka x Tamahome fluff), that was really rude of him to whine to his friend who LENT HIM those dvds. I mean, it would've been better if he'd returned them then said, "well, I didn't like either series".

I think the guy should be thwacked, but not because he didn't like the series, but because he was a jerk.
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
I personally believe FY and Kenshin were both done quite well. FY does have a bit excessive drama, but I watch it like a soap opera. Anime hyper

I'm sure he would have several reasons why to dislike them although they're both quite well-rounded. Surprised
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:56 am Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:

Well, about Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) though.... I can't think anything that would make him hate it except (The Feng Shui Arc)

I love the manga but was sorely disappointed in the anime. The animation looked cheap at times, and the story content had been kiddified. Those misshapen lumps of pink potatoes appearing on their heads for comedy relief was overused right from the start. So was some of the background music (especially during fights). What made me give up on the series was early on when Kenshin had just defeated Sanosuke and launched into a big speech. Lordie did it sound unconvincing! Worked much better in the manga. I thought Kenshin's voice was very interesting and the Japanese voice actress acting him was one of the better performers, but _not_ in that scene. Or then perhaps it was just the script since I didn't think much of the dialogue of some of the other characters (especially Sanosuke and Yahiko).
NinjaGunslinger55

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Did you let your friend see Kenshin's Kyoto Arc?? That's anime at it's finest...

But it is his opinion, you can't blame him for that...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Both series have their good and bad episodes. I believe this is inevitable when a series lasts for over 26 episodes (oops wrong thread) since it's hard to not repeat ideas/themes, or have filler episodes. I personally, am not a big fan of either series, but the better episodes from both series are rather good. Did you loan him the TV series or OVA series?
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Never got around to Fy, but frankly, I was never very impressed with Kenshin. I watched the first 4 DVDs, and although it had some interesting moments here and there, but it was too over to top and "cartoony" for me-- the bad guys were one-dimensional and not very interesting, and the over the top powers they had took away from the fights for me. I also watched the first 3 DVDs of the 2nd season, and although it was better than the first, by far, I still didn't find most of the characters very deep, and yes, the "cartoony" aspect of the badguys still got to me. Plus, the music during alot of the fight scenes was really incongruous and took away from them.

Of course, that's just me. I tend to like more of the Twelve Kingdoms, Berserk, Escaflowne type anime-- which, even when they have supernatural or magical elements, still seem to come off more realistic to me. I'm sure there's lots of room for arguement there. Mostly, I just never thought Kenshin was 'da bomb, as so many seem to think. Of course, I never thought much of Evangelion or Gundam either.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I never thought that talking Giant Rats and average humdan guy weild an impossibly heavy sword would be very realistic.

Oh you meant the "super-deform" mode that is a cultural aspect of japanese comedy/cutesy anime. So you prefer more of the serious drama type of anime.

Actually I wasn't really into the kenshin anime myself, but I've been readin the manga and it seem more intriguing to me, so I like it.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was sort of waiting for that reply. It isn't the setting that needs to be realistic to me, as I like all the shows I mentioned above. Bascially, the relationships between characters seemed more complex and interesting to me in shows like 12 Kingdoms, Berserk, and Escaflowne. The relationships between many of the characters (not all) in Kenshin seemed sort of flat and not very deep. The bad guys were rather simple, vs. say... the complex nature of spoiler[a man like Griffith] in Berserk or spoiler[a woman like Sugimoto]in 12 Kingdoms or spoiler[Van's brother] in Escaflowne (can't remember his name right now).

And it's not that I mind super deformed stuff per se, it's more that I find it detracts from the dramatic elements of a show-- and I guess that was more of what I was looking for in Kenshin. It's hard for me, as a viewer, to jump back and forth between such different moods. Also, the badguys in Kenshin, as I said before, seemed sort of "cartoony"-- I don't know how to put it better.... the guy wrapped up in rags, or the super buff, super powerful, super big guys he's always fighting who just seem to grunt a lot and yell and swing big weapons around. They reminded me, basically, of something like Fist of the Northstar... which is also an anime I don't really care for. Obviously Kenshin is way better than that show, I'm just trying to demonstrate what bothered me about the badguys in the show.

Perhaps others like the more super-charged nature of these battles, which is cool. It's simply a matter of preference. I guess there are just certain things I have a lower tolerance for. ??

Whatever. I thought Kenshin was ok. I can see why others like it I guess. I just didn't think it was _that_ good. That's all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1