• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin - Kyoto Arc

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about something. Numerous people I talk to say the Kyoto Arc in the Rurouni Kenshin anime is one of the best arcs in anime. Personally, I've not seen any of the Rurouni Kenshin anime, save for the Trust and Betrayal OVA, but I've been reading the manga instead. I also hear the anime splits off from the manga at a certain point. I ask because while reading what I presume to be the fabled Kyoto Arc, I'm not overly impressed by it, at least to the point where it would be one of my favorite arcs.

Is there any real difference between the Kyoto Arc in the Kenshin manga and the Kenshin anime? If there isn't, I guess I want to know what it is about the Kyoto Arc that makes it so special. Also, at what point the anime and manga take different paths?
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Actually, the Jinchuu (revenge) arc is the best in Rurouni Kenshin. Unfortunately, this arc was only in the manga. Takes place right after the Kyoto arc, but in the anime, after the Kyoto arc contained just filler episodes.

But the anime Kyoto arc and manga Kyoto arc are almost identical. Very minor changes only. What makes it so good is, for one, that it's the only arc in the anime that has a consistent plot. Secondly, it has the best fights, contains some of the best characters, kickass music, the works.
NinjaGunslinger55

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
The Kyoto Arc is awesome, it animates all the fights in the manga and Kenshin VS Saito is better in the anime version. It has all my favorite characters in it and I think that the anime version is much better than the manga version of the Kyoto Arc.

What don't you like about it??

But, I agree with Debateable, the Jinchuu Arc is better than the Kyoto Arc in every way except for fighting/action scenes.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NinjaGunslinger55 wrote:

I think that the anime version is much better than the manga version of the Kyoto Arc.

What don't you like about it??

But, I agree with Debateable, the Jinchuu Arc is better than the Kyoto Arc in every way except for fighting/action scenes.

I can believe it would be better animated. It's not that I don't like the Kyoto Arc, but it really feels like it drags in the manga. The only fights I've really been excited about are Kenshin/Aoshi and Kenshin/Sojiro.

I may have to watch the Kyoto Arc in the anime just to see if I like it better.

I'm very excited to hear the Jinchuu Arc is better, even excluding the fighting. I've definitely got my fill of it in this arc.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I may have to watch the Kyoto Arc in the anime just to see if I like it better.

Please do. The Kyoto Arc is the sole reason why I give the series a Masterpiece rating (I don't count the third season).

I haven't read a single bit of the manga, but I love the anime (if you can't tell by my avatars).

Not to knock on the manga (again, since I haven't read any of it), but one of the things I like about any anime is the fact that it brings a title to life with voices, motion, music, etc.

The Japanese voice cast is flawless throughout the entire length of the story, in my opinion (I'd recommend you avoid the dub at least the first time through, then rewatch it again in English if you want).

The story itself is quite linear and free of any filler (thank goodness) with plenty of drama, action, and a little comedy here and there.

However, what really helps is the music. The musical score for the TV series was composed by Noriyuki Asakura, most famous (I guess) for his work on the Tenchu video games. He uses a good deal of strings (violin, cello, etc.), drums, trumpets, and a little Spanish acoustic guitar (aside from that electric in "The Last Wolf Suite") for a lot of the Kyoto music. It's a very enthralling aspect that adds that much more emotion to the story.

If you want to skip the first season, Kyoto starts on episode 29 and ends at 62. And might I also recommend you watch the Tsuioku-hen OAV right after Kyoto. The whole transition of atmosphere from a lighter to darker mood and the parallels of who Kenshin is now (in the present) and who he was (during the Bakumatsu) is a great piece of storytelling.

Too bad Seisouhen isn't worth it, but I guess you could then start reading Jinchuu right after watching Tsuioku-hen Anime catgrin.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess what makes the Kyoto Arc of the anime series so good is that the show started to become more serious by episode 27 with the introduction of Saito. The music, the action, the drama, the characters, and the overall plot of the Arc also make it one of the best. It also might be because there are no fillers unlike the 1st and 3rd seasons (actually the 3rd season is nothing but fillers), so it follows the manga very closely.

Though I do agree that the manga for the Kyoto Arc is very long, I think it takes up about 10 volumes, but I still like it.

I have heard the Jinchuu Arc is better, but I haven't read it yet so I wouldn't know. It's too bad that Arc was never shown in the anime, just a very abbreviated version on the Reflections OAV
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1