• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shojo Beat Discussion Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Discuss any topic that's related to Viz's Shojo Beat.

It seem like I'll be getting Shojo beats because they ended my Animerica subscription. Never been much of a shojo fans, so this would give me a some great preview of shojo titles without having to commit a lot of money on a single book. If it's good I might continue my subscription or buy a certain title in GN form.

Series in the Shojo Beat Magazine
Crimson Hero
Kaze Hikaru
Baby & Me
Godchild
NANA
Absolute Boyfriend

Series straight to Graphic Novel (not in the magazine)
Full moon wo Sagashite - Arina Tanemura
Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden - Yuu Watase
Ouran high School Host Club - Bisco Hatori
MeruPuri - Matsuri Hino
Tokyo Boys and Girls - Miki Aihara
Ultra Maniac - Wataru Yoshizumi

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:47 pm; edited 7 times in total
milcor1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Nana is insanely popular in Japan by Ai Yazawa of Paradise Kiss from Tokyopop. Dunno if that means it's any good though...
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
It seem like I'll be getting Shojo beats because they ended my Animerica subscription.

Same for me. Should be interesting though, since some of the titles in this new publication are supposedly rather good.

The only one that I've really heard of is Absolute Boyfriend (Zettai Kareshi), which is supposed to be etreamly good. Though I've never read it myself, I have wanted to check it out and I guess this is giving me my chance.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Baby and Me is an absolutely adorable manga about a young boy trying to raise his kid brother after his mother's death. It deals with a lot of issues kids have. It's an older title, but classic and true-to-life.

Godchild's part of Kaori Yuki's massive 'Count Cain' series. The artwork's better than in Angel Sanctuary, but I don't know... Most of her work reads so similar to everything else she's published.

Nana is Ai Yazawa's newest series. I picked it up because I was getting lesbian vibes and Yazawa's just got such style. x.x But no luck. Basically, two girls, completely different, but with the same name(Nana, one written in katakana, one in kanji), end up sharing an apartment. One is running away from her old band, who's gained in popularity since she left, the other is running away from a relationship. Basically, dramatic romance played with style, as one can expect from most any Yazawa work. This one's geared to an older group(Tenshi Nanka was more for late-junior high, Gokinjo and ParaKiss is more high school, Nana seems more geared to early-twenties).

Absolute Boyfriend is Watase's newest title(she's running this in ShoComi's weekly mag and doing FY: Genbu on the side). Something similar to a Chobits for girls? A girl accidentally finds herself getting a manufactured boyfriend in the mail. He is, of course, inherently innocent of the world, but has all the qualities women seem to want. Basically, general romantic comedy as the girl tries to decide between her manufactured companion or the geeky boy next door. Not one of Watase's best story-wise(she's been sucked up by the smut addicts of ShoComi imho), but artwise it's rather nice.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, can't tell you anything on these manga that anyone hasn't already said. I'm actually kind of glad that the rest of my Animerica subscription is paying for Shojo Beat, since I really couldn't afford a new subscription. Anime smallmouth

It seems rather interesting that Viz is aiming for an "older" audience with their shojo magazine (i.e. Nana and Absolute Boyfriend, with its supposedly smutty storyline), while their shonen magazine is aimed at a younger one (since I's and even some parts of Naruto have been edited in it).
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:

It seems rather interesting that Viz is aiming for an "older" audience with their shojo magazine (i.e. Nana and Absolute Boyfriend, with its supposedly smutty storyline), while their shonen magazine is aimed at a younger one (since I's and even some parts of Naruto have been edited in it).

I's isn't running in Shonen Jump magazine or is it?. It's just a preview, and doesn't change the fact that it's still an Older teen 16+ title even with the edit nipple (this does not make it a kiddy title). I'm also unaware of what edit was done to naruto.

The series that are running in the SJ magazine are still aim at the teen (13) Dragon Ball Z and Yugioh (there's blood/violence) crowd, because there's a bigger market for them than the older teen age group.

On the other hand, a lot of females reading shojo are older teen. Older teen titles like Hot Gimmick, Angel Sancutary, Basara, Alice 19 and a lot more are selling really well for Viz. It would be crazy to exclude older teen titles.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I picked up a preview mag at the comic book store and I'll be reading tonight. The make up ads don't really make me want to buy the real thing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I picked up a preview mag at the comic book store and I'll be reading tonight. The make up ads don't really make me want to buy the real thing...

I don't see why the girly-girly stuff is a problem; I'd just skip over it and enjoy the manga. Razz
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Zettai Kareshi (Absolute Boyfriend) ended a few days ago in Japan. So I wouldn't say it's new anymore. ^^; Recent maybe. =P

About the makeup ads, I'm guessing Viz is trying to emulate the female manga magazines in Japan.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
slickwataris wrote:

I don't see why the girly-girly stuff is a problem; I'd just skip over it and enjoy the manga. Razz

I usually just skip over the ads anyway but I'm getting sick of Viz telling me what's girly and what's not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Patachu wrote:
slickwataris wrote:

I usually just skip over the ads anyway but I'm getting sick of Viz telling me what's girly and what's not.

Ugh...I hope this won't be another Smile magazine fiasco.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Get over it, they're just ads.

This preview mag is free, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
About the makeup ads, I'm guessing Viz is trying to emulate the female manga magazines in Japan.

Harharhar, they should also be including cutesy giveaways like cell phone straps then.

And yes, the preview issue is free, I picked mine up at Free Comic Book Day this past Saturday.
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
midori kou wrote:

Harharhar, they should also be including cutesy giveaways like cell phone straps then.

Not all of them have giveaways and freebies. Some do, which are the ones that are really successful like Ribon.
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:23 am Reply with quote
I was happiest about Kaze Hikaru. It's not a overly popular or wel-known series, outside of Japan at least. I don't think it's faring too badly in Japan, after all it's been running for years and has reached 17 volumes...

Aw, and it is just so cute...

Basically, this is a shinsengumi manga. The plot idea is relatively simple: A girl, disguised as a boy, joins the shinsengumi after her family is murdered.

There's romance and emotions, action, and a large dose of adorable humour. The super-deformed shinsengumi are just too cute. I guess I spontanously fell in love with this manga because of this!

The artwork is beautiful. It's a typical shoujo-art style, but very well done, very beautiful. Hey, to see the shinsengumi portrayed in such a style is special, too. I've heard that the portrayal of the historical characters is actually close to their real personalities (as much as we can know, in any case). I cannot personally agree or disagree with this, but in any case, this is a mightily fine manga for history fans, shinsengumi fans...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6