• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime that changed your view of Anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The Anime that changed your view of Anime. Has there been a show that change how you saw anime. Like if you watched only one type then you watched a show that was not like anything you had seen before that changed your view of anime.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Eh, when I got stuck watching Yu-gi-oh, then I dropped that and started watching a bit of YuYu Hakusho. I started watching YYH and I just...got into anime thataway. That was...a while ago.YGO scares me...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing. I was never a fan or the horor genre, but I found myself really liking this one a lot, and learning that annimated gore doesn't bother me at all. In the same vein is Elfen Lied which I also ended up enjoying despite it's terribly violent tendencies. Anyhow those are the two that I suprised myself by actually liking. Twisted Evil

Some others like Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments Lain are also definitely noteworthy for showing my other genres besides the martial-arts fighting anime.
netmyster5

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The Cowboy Bebop Series

It showed me that Anime is for adults as much as it is for kids, and that it was very complex, well written and had great story/character development. It was the first Anime that I took seriously, and since then i have been hooked!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
msi435

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
It was bebop for me too. Before that I thought anime was all about blood, guts, and dragon ball z. Cowboy bebop opened up a whole new world for me as soon as I saw ballad of fallen angels. Ah, green bird.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
deep_blue

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
I say Cowboy Bebop as well,because I had never seen an anime about bounty hunters!I was like,"OMG!What is this?!".That show gave me a whole new look on what different anime can be about.But I liked it even from the begining.
jagozon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke Introduced me into Studio Ghibli,and
when i first saw Ninja Scroll i had never seen anything that violent and bloody before.One of the first seens werespoiler[all thoes ninjas were in the trees and got cut in half,and that demon rips off that ninjas arms and drank the blood.].I was like Shocked "this is so cool"
Octonium

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Case Closed. Until I saw that show most of the anime I had seen was poorly dubbed/translated, making them a novelty at best. When I saw Cased Closed I was blown away. There was very funny dialouge, great voice acting, and a fantastic new mystery each episode. Until I saw Case Closed I just assumed all anime was about schoolgirls/giant mechs/ninjas.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
Hmm...Tenchi in Tokyo, when I was younger. That's when I realized that some anime just sucks. :) About half of it.

And Nazca. That's when I decided that a Japanese animator should never be allowed to purchase a copy of 3d Studio max.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop -- most definetly.

Although I was into a couple other animes before then, this one showed that even non-anime fans could get into at least one anime. Great plot, Grammy-worthy soundtrack, and likable characters. (I still think that the Bebop movie would've done great in the box office if it had a much wider release; not 60 theatres. When I went to see it at the theater, the ticket window line was so long it went around the corner of the street; and they were there in line just to see this movie.)
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I used to be opposed to anime, thinking it was just crude and stupid with horrible humor... until I saw Greatest Teacher Onizuka... then i realized animes have storylines, hilarious comedies and exciting drama.
akitainu

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I never watched anime before 1997. In fact, I made fun of my younger brother for being so hung up on "cartoons"...until I sat through the Tenchi Muyo OVA. Now, I'm nearly 35 and have close to 1800 anime DVDs of my own. My wife and I devour about two DVDs a night. So, Tenchi, although not my favorite, was definitely the anime that changed my perception of anime. Orikasa Ai, Takada Yumi, and the rest of the Tenchi crew are the root of my love of anime now.
philg

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Love Hina. That was the first time I saw the stereotype become reality.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
When I went to see it at the theater, the ticket window line was so long it went around the corner of the street; and they were there in line just to see this movie.)
The line for the Bebop movie went around the corner? Whoa!. When I accompanied two elementary schoolers to see the YGO movie I thought the line (a good 35 feet) was long. (Their parents didn't want to go and watch it, so they cajoled me into going.) Movie sucked, BTW.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1