• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Something I think would make a cool anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ky_Stormreaver

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
Now this is based around the world of Battletech or Mechwarrior for those of you with familiarity and I would love to see someone make an anime based on that world. Now my only stipultation would be that it be done kind of like Gundam Wing. So for those of you who know Battletech or Mechwarrior what do you think?
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
I think if they did it in a sense of taking place in the current Iraq war, then it could be a good series. Either that or have a Mechwarrior/Battletech/Gundam crossover series.
Ky_Stormreaver

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
that sounds very interesting I like that idea too.
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote
Ky_Stormreaver wrote:
Now this is based around the world of Battletech or Mechwarrior for those of you with familiarity and I would love to see someone make an anime based on that world. Now my only stipultation would be that it be done kind of like Gundam Wing. So for those of you who know Battletech or Mechwarrior what do you think?

This is "interesting". Consider that Mechwarrior/Battletech was written/designed by Americans trying to imitate late 70's/early 80's Japanese Mecha shows (bit of Frank Herbert/Dune thrown in as well) such as the original Gundum.

So you say you want a Japanese copy of an American Copy of a Japanese original with the only stipulation is that it's "kind of like" the Japanese original?

Sounds like your already there.
Little too Ironic, don't you think?

All the best,

Nani?
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:33 am Reply with quote
I dont know I think that it could be really cool I was a fan of both Shows acctually The only one i did not care froe was gundam. It would be interesting to watch now especially with the current world events.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
I think they did that in America. It was called Exo-Squad, and it rocked.
C'mon, the last thing we need is another mecha anime. I would be interested in watching a squad/platoon of mechs... don't see much of that. Mostly it's just 1-man army.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
This is "interesting". Consider that Mechwarrior/Battletech was written/designed by Americans trying to imitate late 70's/early 80's Japanese Mecha shows (bit of Frank Herbert/Dune thrown in as well) such as the original Gundum.

To be precise, Mechwarrior/Battletech blatanly ripped off at least two animes. One was Macross, and another was Fang of the Sun Dougram.

By blantly I mean they took the mecha designs and made up rules for them. They didn't even modify the designs! What morons.

Bruce Lee: Yeah, I remember Exo-Squad. That was a cool show, great toys too.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
personally I want a anime based off comics from over here Smile

or more animes based off their Superhero comic books and shows, ie Kamen Rider, Henshin Ninja Arashi, Ultraman, Sentai Very Happy hell a Godzilla anime would rule!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
Ky_Stormreaver wrote:
Would "Gasaraki" fill the requirement? Wink
netmyster5

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
A Godzilla anime would be sweet!!!!!

Speaking of Godzilla, anyone know when the latest movie will be released on DVD here in the states?

Also I think an Anime based on spiritual battle, angels vs. demons, for someones soul would be cool....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not exactly bent on having another mecha show that just doesn't have plot. I could give it a try, but right now, I've just seen Fullmetal Alchemist and GITS:SAC, so my expectations are a bit raised. I'd like to see something with an original plot, if that makes any sense at all.
Silverwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
I think it would be neat if you be in an anime episode of course you would do something like freak out but it would be cool though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote
It might work, but it might not. Battletech and Gundam don't really work together as most fans of Battletech know that a mech in Btech moves and functions nothing like a gundam does.

As for Btech ripping Macross off, I don't see it, especially since though Btech was first released in 85 the initial art and localized concept releases for it date back into the 70's before the company to produce it nationally was actually formed. That and the fact Macross functions on a very different format than BTech, much smaller scale and far faster, more interesting to watch but BTech goes more for realism.

I love the Battletech storylines though, the fight for survival the Inner Sphere faces against the technologically superior clans. The only reason they even survive is due to the fact the clans fight each other more than the sphere. I personally like BTech far more than Macross, never liked Macross/Robotech much at all. I wouldn't be surprised if some Macross influence didn't make it into the initial release of BTech though, especially since its popularity is what drummed up enough of a market to get a concept like BTech the interest it needed to succeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saikyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
As for Btech ripping Macross off, I don't see it...

I believe what he is referring to is the Lost Mechs. In Battletech there is a grouping of mechs/tech labeled as "Lost." They earned this designation because they had a copyright (or is it patent in this case?) with Harmony Gold who I assume handled Macross. They were an infringement due to their design/appearance. The infringing mechs were subsequently pulled from the BT universe, and got the title "Lost." The Crusader and Maurader are two BT mechs that were Lost, as were a number of LAM (Land-Air mechs) that were obviously ripped/based upon Macross style mechs. You can find these mechs in the BT tactical readout 3025. Other mechs in this catagory were taken due to conflicts with other companies.

I may have some specifics messed up as it's been awhile since I've been involved in BT, and I never liked Macross to begin with. Perhaps I cleared up something for you.

Ky_Stormreaver wrote:
What do you think?

I remember an ancient battletech series... I can't seem to find much in the way of detailed information though.

I would enjoy such a (remake) series only if they stayed true to the feel of the BT universe. The dark, gritty feel depicted in the Victor vs Katrina, strife in the Draconis Combine, or the Legend of the Jade Phoenix. The jumping back and forth of viewpoints would also be a plus as I loved it when they did in the books to bring you up to speed of a drama point on both sides.

My only question is would it be majority CG or Hand drawn? I'm leery of CG unless it could manipulate the look of Mechwarrior 3, which is by far the most foreboding feel. Especially when compared to the partial cardboard feel of 4. Then again hand drawn would make the effects look weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1