• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I like the part where Cyan Bloodbane totally ignored my Post.
BlazeEagle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounds cool to me. I like and enjoy UC AND AU Gundam, so I'm up for snything Gundam related.

I'm tired of UC, as how many times can you have a Fed vs. Zeon set up? The Feds&Zeons have been at it for DECADES! Turn A was very refreshing. Most UC is very similar and UC is stuck in a rut.

I like this idea of everything being original but still keeping the Gundam mecha intact, it prevents derivative mecha designs like from both SEED anime. I mean the past Gundam mecha are cool as is, so why make new mecha, ya know?
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
I like the part where Cyan Bloodbane totally ignored my Post.

Maybe I should centralize my dislikes.

Wing, Seed, and G are abominations of the Gundam Name. Past that, ∀ Gundam and X were misunderstood classics that were canceled before their time. No, having a show being canceled is proof of a masterpiece.

BANZAI!!!
wao

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
It sure took them long enoguh to realize that a significant enough number of fans are sick of UC...

And I also love Turn-A (misunderstood is a good word to describe it), but since when was it cancelled? (Actually, from what I hear it had the lowest TV ratings out of all the Gundam series, but then the fact that it wasn't cancelled while X was is a bit odd.) Or was it meant to be more than 51 eps and didn't? (I don't think it would have had 2 compilation movies if it was cancelled...)

Turn-A itself had some interesting uses of Gundams, like that one episode where Loran got the Turn-A to act as a washing machine, and later hung clothes on it. That's the kind of refreshing, interesting stuff, with good solid storylines and characters, rather than SEED... And they still made a sequel of that... デス種 indeed!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
It's not so much that the Universal Century as a whole has become bloated & overdone, as it is that the One Year War itself has while the rest of UC Gundam is woefully underappreciated animation-wise. No, we don't want to hear about the fiftieth amasing sidestory that magically happened when no one was looking which featured the RX-78-500GXPNT-5½APGX52² Gundam Super Full Armor Alpha Type All Terrain Combat Matsumoto Custom, we want to hear about sidestories related to the Gryps/Neo-Zeon War (SENTINEL OVA), or the F91 era (CROSSBONE TV SERIES), or maybe even make something GOOD that follows Victory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
I'd personally like to see more stuff like 080: War in the Pocket. Smaller, more personal Side stories about the happenings during, and directly after the one year war.

Even though War in the Pocket had only 6 episodes, and Mobile Suits were probably only in less than half those episodes, everything that made the Gundam series great was in that OVA.
The Emotions, the realization of the type of people on both sides could very well be your next door neighbor, and the destruction of innocence becuase of the futility of War.

It was one of the most beautiful series I've ever seen. It's things like 080, that I want to see more of. No Big stand alone stories that mess with the storyline of UC, but rather add to the depth of the one year war. Like when you hear all those differant War stories from WWII vets. Everyones got a story to tell, everyone sacraficed a little of something. Don't dismiss that Random GM, or green Zaku that bit it at the hands of a main character. They were a person too with their own life, and their own story to be told.

As great as 083: Stardust memory was, It sorta fudges with the UC storyline a bit...I mean, come on? A Nuke went off, and Amuro Wasn't even at least called in to deal with the Zeon threat? No way...no freakin way. Still a great series though.
BlazeEagle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
Anyway, back on topic -

I hope this game has an Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger level/quality story. A bad story could ruin this game.
wizrd54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I think they should make a gundam simulator like they did with Steel Battalion for any of you who have seen or played it. It comes with a controller that has like 40 buttons 2 joysticks and 3 foot pedals. If they made a gundam game like that i think it would be a hit.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
It's not so much that the Universal Century as a whole has become bloated & overdone, as it is that the One Year War itself has while the rest of UC Gundam is woefully underappreciated animation-wise. No, we don't want to hear about the fiftieth amasing sidestory that magically happened when no one was looking which featured the RX-78-500GXPNT-5½APGX52² Gundam Super Full Armor Alpha Type All Terrain Combat Matsumoto Custom, we want to hear about sidestories related to the Gryps/Neo-Zeon War (SENTINEL OVA), or the F91 era (CROSSBONE TV SERIES), or maybe even make something GOOD that follows Victory.

Here here! I think when you have the original 0079, 3 compliation movies, 0080, 8th MS Team, and numerous manga adaptions all examining the same One Year War, you've got to move on to more closely examining other parts of the UC timeline. And technically, according to Turn A Gundam, isn't every series but SEED related to the UC timeline? Ah, but mere technicalities.

SEED was meant to be a reimagining of the classic Gundam storyline in order to reestablish the franchise in the new millenium. It was to present new themes and mecha designs while still reminding old fans of the original UC stories. In that aspect, I think it definately succeeded, and the high popularity confirms this. I wouldn't be surprised if Cosmic Century stories begin to flow out and begin heading towards the number of Universal Century stories. The fact that SEED Destiny is the first big sequel to an alternate universe story points in this direction.

And Gundams in everyday life? I just can't see that being completely realistic. Maybe if regular mobile suits were integrated into everyday life, but Gundams were always considered special, their own class above the masses of common mobile suits, and I couldn't see more than a select few piloting their custom Gundams while everyday people have regular mobile suits. It would more closely adhere to the spirit of Gundams always being the best of the mobile suits.
wizrd54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
There is a crossbone gundam series? I thought it was just a movie and thats it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
wizrd54 wrote:
There is a crossbone gundam series? I thought it was just a movie and thats it.

There's the manga, and there was originally supposed to be a Crossbone Gundam TV series, but it got scrapped. What I was saying was that I'd like to see them put effort into actually producing one, or just creating some type of new anime based in the UC beyond simply the One Year War. The fact that they keep hitting the One Year War, most recently with that MS IGLOO thing, is what gets people tired of the Universal Century timeline more than anything, I'd wager.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
It got scrapped like a princess, eh? Cool

Nagisa has a point, though. I mean, how many stories can you make about the same 365.24 days. Even though I'm not a UC fan (I'm not partial to any version, save maybe G Gundam) I wouldn't mind an Endless Waltz-esque thing where after the War's over, some other nutjob comes out of the woodwork
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
How is G an abomination to the Gundam name? It's different, not bad. Plus it's the only instance of Crossbone Gundam actually being animated.

And I think that the Gryps Conflict could use some Spin-Offs...possibly involving Karaba.

Nagisa wrote:
or maybe even make something GOOD that follows Victory.

I'd love something on the 7th Space War...it would make a nice Correct Century tie-in.

Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
Nuke went off, and Amuro Wasn't even at least called in to deal with the Zeon threat?

I'm guessing that the Feddies were reluctant to put him inside a Mobile Suit on the grounds that he probably would've used it to flee from Earth.

Joe Mello wrote:
I wouldn't mind an Endless Waltz-esque thing where after the War's over, some other nutjob comes out of the woodwork

Except Endless Waltz just felt incredibly tedious & forced.
darkinusgurl

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Gundam with out Zeon,the Federation, Zaft....That would be very much like Zoids. If so, then they had better get Richard Cox to be in it(he voiced in both Zoids and two of the Gundam series). Otherwise,it would be very interesting to see Gundams as a part of everyday life...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2