• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Excellent US-Made Anime - AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktchong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
Has anyone heard or seen this new cartoon series? I was surfing the TV channels, and I couldn not change the channel when I had come across the show. It is a new American anime set in a fantastic Asian world. The premise, animation, coloration and martial art fight scenes are all top-notch. The series is strangely being aired on Nickelodeon, though it seems to be geared for audiences much older than the usual Nicktoon viewers.

Quote:

The world is divided into 4 nations: the Fire Nation, the Earth Kingdom, the Water Tribes, and the Air Nomads. Within each realm, there is a class of people called the elemental "benders" who, through the mastery of their hereditary talent, can manipulate their native element and bend it to their will. The art of bending is a combined form of martial arts and elemental magic.

In each generation, a single person is solely capable of "multi-bending", of controlling all four elements. The Avatar is the manifestation of the world's essences. Every 100 years, the Avatar reincarnates as a native of one of the four elemental races. Starting with the mastery of his or her native element, the Avatar learns to bend all four elements and commune with the fifth, hidden Spirit realm. Throughout the ages, the Avatars have served to keep world and its four fractions--particularly the expansionist militaristic Fire Nation--in balance.

Then, 100 years ago, the Avatar mysteriously disappeared. In absence of an Avatar incarnation, the ruthless Fire Nation started waging wars on the other three nations. The Air Nomads were conquered, the Airbender Temple ravished, and all Airbender monks exterminated. The Water Tribes were defeated and driven far south to the brink of extinction. The Earth Kingdom still remains and fights a hopeless war against the Fire Nation.

In the frozen desolated South Pole, a lone Water tribe struggles to survive. It is here that the village's last remaining Water witch, the young Waterbender Katara, and her warrior brother, Sokka, rescued a strange 12-year-old boy named Aang who had been suspended in hibernation in a cavernous iceberg. The tribe soon discovered that Aang is not only an Airbender--the elemental race no one had seen in a century--but also the long lost Avatar. Now Katara and Sokka must safeguard the child Avatar in his journey northward to recover the secrets of bending multiple elements and stop the Fire Nation.

TV Tome | Animation Insider | Nickelodeon | Cineme

I found a short preview trailer at the official website, here.

Last edited by ktchong on Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
emory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
Yes. It's been brought up on this board many times.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
Technically, it isn't an Anime, because Anime by definition is "Japanese Animation", and since no process of the production is carried out in Japan, or by Japanese people, it's not an Anime. It might carry some similar aesthetics, but that's it.

Also I've heard mixed things about it, but in general I look forward to it.
ktchong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
In case you've missed it in the first message, there is a short movie trailer at the official website, here.

[*sniff sniff* This message smells oddly of street team marketing. There have already been countless threads about Avatar, but thanks for the tertiary heads up. locked -b]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1