• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you find it hard being in anime fan nowadays

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyanamisFamily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
Hello

i am Ayanamisfamily

since the age of 11 i have been a passionate anime fan but i have found going into anime chatrooms that Otakus are bullying the newbies and scaring them away from our beloved Japanese Animation

i also notice that rooms rarely talk about anime and when the chance arises last merely minutes before the subject is changed

some of you may have noticed this
some of you may have been a victim of this
some of you may be the cause of it

either way i decided to make a forum so those who believe they being treated badly by other anime fans for any reason or if you know that you are one of those who treats others badly should discuss it here

i also would love to here about how you got started in anime if any of you are willing to share, for example i got started at 11 after watching a video called "Urotsukidoji" that i friend of mine had borrowed off another friend

well enough chit chat see you all later have a nice day and may the good graces of anime guide you in your lifes Very Happy

Bye Bye
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
philg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad somebody else noticed. I've been watching the way the more 'knowledgable' anime fans are completely bullying all the new anime fans who are either clueless and want to learn more or the anime fans who just say understandably stupid things about stupid anime that no true anime fan likes. And anybody who writes something, say.. controversial or wrong on this website... people attack that person and then that thread will get locked. It's sort of unfair.

Oh and I started off with The Castle of Cagliostro, Spriggan and Gunsmith Cats around the age of 11 too.... but I only remembered how good anime was mayb when i was 14...
Lazuright

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
It's kinda sad. I usually thought anime fans would encourage others. Thats how it was for me. I havn't a "Anime Bully" and i hope i don't, i just may have to hit him.

I got started on anime when i was about 8 or 9. Back then i didn't know it was anime. It was Sailor Moon Monday thru Friday sometime in the morning. Years passed until i watched another anime, and again at the time i didn't know it was anime, it was Escaflowne. Which was on Fox Kid's or Kids WB at the time on satudays. Those SOB's, the canned it halfway through. After that i spent about 2 years searching for it. During that time I was introduced to something that i knew was anime. It was Hayao Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke. After that i loved anime. Shortly after i relized that i had already loved anime, by liking Sailor Moon and Escaflowne, i just didn't know it at the time. Kinda stange, but thats my fairy tale.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
We bully because we care.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
We bully because we care.

Ya don't take the "bullying" that seriously; if you do then you should not be on forms. It doesn’t matter if it is a anime form or even a star trek form, people will disregard "newbies" it's just the way it is, if you don't like it then don't post Razz . ANN isn't even that bad compared to other places, I have posted some "controversial" topics and I wasn't harassed. Sorry for being kind of harsh! Wink

But....

Ya my first anime experience was when I was 7 or 8 on sci-fi channel on Saturday morning they would show stuff like Roujin-Z and Akira. Then a friend and I rented Lily Cat and that’s when I began to watch anime seriously! Most of the anime I watched was my cousin’s (he had a job Very Happy ) until I got a job and bought my own!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
comorbid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Ya don't take the "bullying" that seriously...ANN isn't even that bad compared to other places, I have posted some "controversial" topics and I wasn't harassed.

Hey, otaku bully other otaku, too - I'll always remember the chewing out I got on another forum for not liking Metropolis.

Personal opinion, a lot of us really need to stop taking our fandom so serioulsy - I mean, it worked for Otaku No Video, right? Wink
Juniper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
AyanamisFamily wrote:
Hello

i am Ayanamisfamily

since the age of 11 i have been a passionate anime fan but i have found going into anime chatrooms that Otakus are bullying the newbies and scaring them away from our beloved Japanese Animation

i also notice that rooms rarely talk about anime and when the chance arises last merely minutes before the subject is changed

A few points:

1) Few anime chat rooms actually talk about anime. Why? Because people go to these rooms for each other's company. If they talked about anime all the time, it would get VERY boring. You can't talk about anime non-stop. And, if you want to start an anime conversation, things like, "what's your fave series" and "who's the hottest anime grrl" are usually frowned upon. People come to these rooms and talk to each other about random stuff, because they're there to have fun.

2) Newbies are bullied because they act stupid. When you go into a chatroom with something like, "hey guyz wuts ur fave animes" or "do u liek inu-yasha," you WILL get made fun of. Newbies who conduct themselves in a fashionable manner don't get picked on. And generally, when they tell you something like, "Don't use "u" and "y"," or "stop whining about yourself," they expect you to stop it. "Otaku" are just like people IRL. If you don't expect people to take you seriously IRL when you act like a fool, don't expect the same out of anime fans online.

3) No one can scare you away from anime. If you like it, like it. They can only chase you away from a chatroom. If they banned you, or chased you away, they probably have a good reason for it. They're only trying to wisen you up.

Older fans DO care about newbies. But it's all about tough love. When I first started watching anime, I got tough love, and it's helped me out a lot. Nothing can be accomplished in life by everyone humouring you and holding your hand. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
El Oso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personal opinion, a lot of us really need to stop taking our fandom so serioulsy

I would agree, but the ones that are so serious are the best ones to poke fun at Laughing
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"do u liek inu-yasha," you WILL get made fun of.

Was anyone here at AnimeFEST this year who was at one of the VA panels? The guy stood up and asked the VAs "Do you watch da Inu-Yasha?" just like that with except with long pauses. Man that was golden hilarity at its finest.

Anyway yes there will be elitists out there. But screw em. Everyone always starts out as a beginner and everyone also has their guilty pleasure animes and such. Interacting with anime fans as an anime fan can be difficult at times, but being an anime fan and trying to climb the social ladder, now that's quite the task seeing as how our fandom comes with a nice set of stereotypes.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Juniper wrote:
Newbies are bullied because they act stupid. When you go into a chatroom with something like, "hey guyz wuts ur fave animes" or "do u liek inu-yasha," you WILL get made fun of.

Personally I am not as much bothered (actually not at all bothered) by newbies as I am by the bullies "disciplining" them. But then we have people like "Tony K." who are shining examples of how to deal with the odd stableboy, unfamiliar with the aristocratic etiquette, who wander into the midst of the high society ball that is this forum. Where others either form a posse and hang the poor unenlightened fool or merely, when they are in a more merciful mood, only proceed to flog them till the skin on their back falls off, he and few others like him proceed with curtsey and politely not only answer the unfortunates inquiries, whatever they may be, but also explain his wrongdoings to him.

Seriously, why go out of you’re way and flame when you can simply ignore the individual? Unless flaming somehow brings you some kind of pleasure by asserting your superiority over the lower creatures? I seriously don't get flaming and bullying, and I certainly can't stand it. Luckily I can give again as well as I receive; the newbies however, are on their own.

Last edited by kamiboy on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
the high society ball that is this forum.

While I realise it's an analogy, HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Seriously, why go out of you’re way and flame when you can simply ignore the individual?

Because if you ignored every single person ever no one would change. Sometimes, certian people, especially young or new ones respond best to abuse or a sharp sense of urgency. The words eventually sink into them in a sort of "I hate it, but if I want to stay here or elsewhere, I'll do it", and it eventually grows into them for other areas in life, subconciously of course. Of course though, for every person out there who is like that, you've got 5-10 people who are as thick as bricks who will neve, ever learn.

Last edited by Steventheeunuch on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey I personally have never been bullied about anume and if someone tries to I am enough of an expert on the subject that I can just burry them into the ground. Having seen over 24 different anime series has taught me one thing though. You have to have a different respect for each anime that you watch... What I mean is that say you start out by watching something like Akira, now they say this is suppost to be a starter anime Confused anyway I would not recomend this to someone just starting out, I think it would acctully turn them off of anime. As for someone a little bit more experienced in watching anime should not watch something like EVA with deep seated meenings and a contraversial ending that most hollywoodized people would have trouble excepting. Now I don't mean that these series arnt good, I just mean that you need to be ready to watch them or your going to be disapointed.

Anyway I got started watching anime when I was around 4 or 5 watching Sailor Moon on YTV East (Back when they had YTV East) at the time I din't know it was anime but I knew I liked it better then the shows that came on after it. Plus they where hot Razz . My anime love then moved to Dragonball that would come on every Saturday. They then moved to DBZ in place of Dragonball (in the middle of the series Evil or Very Mad ). I watch DBZ for a while and went on with my life, unbenonced of what I was acctully watching. Then in a miraculous move, my freind starting brining over all sorts of different anime series, the first was Dirty Pair Flash. On VHS Embarassed , then it moved to Burn Up W, Blood the last Vampire. My love for anime had bloomed, I started going out on my own in search of these fabled tales, unkowing of what I was going to find. My searches then lead me to EVA. This nearly turned me off compleatly. I though that this was an absolutly horrible series, and the ending didn't make me laugh either (for thoughs who have seen it). My anime like had been shaken, I went on to watch Akira. Another anime that I though (at the time) was so horrible that words could not describe its impact on the world, and young minds like myself. I decided to try once more on anime before I gave up compleatly, I picked... Hellsing... WOW! This was it, The god of anime had not betrayed me, I was hooked from there on. Knowing that there would be good and there would be bad anime. I would then go on to see such memorable titles as Full Metal Panic, .hack//sign, Last Exile and Read or Die. I also saw some pretty bad anime like Galaxy Angel and DBGT. But anyway I should be going, I leave this to any Newbies "Never give up anime is an awsome thing that can be loved or hated, it can make you laugh of cry, there are good and bad with all kinds of endings for you to enjoy, give it a chance and you may just fall into a dream world like me"

Farewell for now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
keichi san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
being an anime newbie can be hard but i agree, but sometimes the newbies just act dumb. im not saying bully them just tell them how it is
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kainzero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
for example i got started at 11 after watching a video called "Urotsukidoji" that i friend of mine had borrowed off another friend

Uhhh.... hehehehheh. Very Happy

I can't talk about anime forever, and I don't really enjoy discussing "What's your favorite" or "Do you like (insert series here)" or something. I like discussing points about anime, and I also like meeting people through similar interests... that's why I post on forums =P

It's always hard to integrate yourself into a clique because people are so used to themselves and tend to tell a lot of inside jokes (this is true of any group of friends), but when you do get into it, it's fun.

I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore, so I'll stop =X
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
We all start somewhere, and eventually through knowledge, courtesy, occasional humility - very occasional if you're Gatsu or Aaron :wink: - and a glance through a thesaurus every now and again you can rise to dizzying heights.

The catch though is in realizing that those of us who are already sitting upon the dizzying heights have an ample supply of round rocks that can be easily tumbled down the craggy slope, crushing your bones into a paste resembling Cream of Wheat, only without raisins or cinnamon. You get no raisins nor cinnamon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5