• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report: 3/21 Pillows concert in NYC......It was Kickass!!!!!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
I just got back from the Pillows concert held at the Knitting Factory in NYC still pumped full of adrenaline and I have to report that it was amazing! For those of you who don't know, the Pillows are the band whose music was used throughout the anime FLCL (Fooly Cooly). One of the things I Loved about FLCL was the great music and the band's live perormance did not disappoint. They played almost every song that was used in FLCL, including "One Life", "Little Busters", "Ride On shooting Star", "Hybrid rainbow", "Last dinosaur", "I Think I Can" along with a few other songs that were from their other soundtracks.
The lead vocalist, Yamanaka Sawao, also took some time to address the audience before each song saying things along the line of "I like Crazy Dance!!! You will all do Crazy dance for me!!!" and telling an anecdote about visiting the Statue of Liberty, noting that it was "BIG!" and sharing other observations such as "America is ........BIG! The Buildings......BIG! The people.......BIG! The Noodles(The opening girl band).....Small. The Pillows.......Small.....". Yamanaka even took an opportunity to jump into the audience and surf on the crowd, although the second time he attempted to do so, his manager had to intervene and hoist him back onto the stage by his belt as it seemed that he landed face down onto the crowd's hands.
I think the greatest indicator of how great the concert was the audience's response as they were completely invigorated and charged up by the band and were jumping up and down, shaking the already unstable floor and singing along with the band during the refrains. I left the concert with my eardrums happily blown out. You should definitely seize the opportunity to attend one of their upcoming concerts if possible, as their music is great and their on stage presence amplifies that greatness even more
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing this with us. I will attend this concert if they come into my area (highly doubtful).
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ah, i wish i coulda gone. :/ was working, unfortunately.

did you have to be 21 to get in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there were any age restrictions besides having to be 21 to purchase alcohol[/quote]
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I had the honor of meeting Sawao Yamanaka before the concert. I got him to autograph my Little Busters CD. I also gave him an article that I wrote for my paper about them. When I told Sawao-san that it was about about why the Pillows are the greatest band since the Beatles, he smiled.

I just hope that someone translated it for him. I hope he enjoyed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1