• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Movies in certin areas

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
Dont you hate when an anime movie comes out in theaters, but never around you. I relly cant stand it. It is like when your in a never ending hall way, and tring to get out. Laughing Why don they play them in all areas? Crying or Very sad
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Because many people think of anime as a disney cartoon, and seeing how most anime is not for children, it will not sell well. As for being in a never ending hallway, well, I've never been in one of those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Because many people think of anime as a disney cartoon, and seeing how most anime is not for children

Huh? Most anime IS for children, but people over here see a little blood and like to blow it out of proportion. It's just that they do so much animation over in Japan that it seems like they're doing more "older" titles, but comparativly they're still doing more kid friendly and younger teen titles than titles that aren't ment for children.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
It's because anime is only a niche thing, and there's only enough of an audience to support very limited releases. Wide theatrical releases cost the studios tens of millions of dollars just for the cost of making a couple of thousand of prints and a moderate amount of advertising, so they only do them for the films they think would likely turn a profit in wide release, and serious animation is a very tough sell to North American adults, the wider audience not being interested in animation beyond stuff like The Simpsons, South Park, and Shrek.

The big studios only really license anime films for the profits to be made from the sale of the DVDs, where the overhead is much lower. The limited theatrical releases are just gravy for the fans, and only appear in those areas where there is likely a large enough concentration of fans to support the film on even just one screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh Ok. Its suck when they play like 2-3 hours away. I cant stand it. Its like when ghost in the shell 2 came out.
AHZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Because many people think of anime as a disney cartoon, and seeing how most anime is not for children, it will not sell well. As for being in a never ending hallway, well, I've never been in one of those.

I once had a dream that I was in a never ending hallway. If anyone can figure out any secret meaning to that then let me know.

Emerje wrote:
Huh? Most anime IS for children, but people over here see a little blood and like to blow it out of proportion. It's just that they do so much animation over in Japan that it seems like they're doing more "older" titles, but comparativly they're still doing more kid friendly and younger teen titles than titles that aren't ment for children.

I haven't seen "most" anime so I guess I can't give any facts about that. But, it seems to me that even the anime they show on fox kids (or whatever the hell they call it) has to be edited a lot to be considered appropriate for the age range that they cater to in America. So maybe it's acceptable for kids from other cultures, but certainly not in this country.

Just because it's animation doesn't mean it's for children. I'm a grown man and I'll always be a fan of animation. So, I don't agree with your opinion that most anime is for kids.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
AHZ wrote:

Just because it's animation doesn't mean it's for children. I'm a grown man and I'll always be a fan of animation. So, I don't agree with your opinion that most anime is for kids.

Actually Emerje is quite correct. Most anime titles are meant for kids. Children in Japan see alot more blood and violence in anime then most people would permit here. So, especially for 4kids shows, most of that is edited out for the TV broadcasts. And yes, it's edited down to be considered "appropriate" as we in the US see it, but that does not change the fact that most of it was created specifically with young viewers in mind.

So no, just because it's anime doesn't mean it's for children, but about 8 or 9 times out of 10 on average, it is (ignoring Hentai and Ecchi of course). It just happens to appeal to an older audience over here because of the differences in what our respective culture's deem appropriate for certain age ranges.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
AHZ wrote:

A grown man watching Naruto, an anime about a 12 year old boy "coming of age story" and claiming that it's a show for adults because it has a few violent scene here and there is ridiculous. If you like kiddy anime with fanservice and mecha than like it. Japan is more lenient towards what kids can view: nudity (ranma, db), cigarettes, alchohal, violence. The most popular shows in japan: Prince of Tennis, Doraemon, Inuyasha, One Piece, Girl bravo, are shown in timeslot that most kids can watch. Kids make up the mojority of anime viewer in japan. We do have adult type show: Last Exile, Wolf's Rain, WHR, but certainly shows that have high/jr. high school boy/girl main character appeal more to the grade school kids. (7-15).

As for anime in certain theaters, it's a niche. That's not the only thing that's available in certain theaters, but most import films are release in selected theates. The new international hit movie KungFu Hustle is coming to L.A. and NY theaters first, because there's just more of a fanbase for those type of film in those cities and the most protential to make money. LA and NY having two of the largest population (not to mention the hugest asian populartion who will likely support it).
AHZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
A grown man watching Naruto, an anime about a 12 year old boy "coming of age story" and claiming that it's a show for adults because it has a few violent scene here and there is ridiculous. If you like kiddy anime with fanservice and mecha than like it. Japan is more lenient towards what kids can view: nudity (ranma, db), cigarettes, alchohal, violence.

Read my post again, because that was my whole damn point in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1