• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hopefully bringin change

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This is a little off topic, but I posted a thread in the anime section and now it is temporarly locked to see if threads of that nature should be alowed. But there are many other contraversial topics that dont get allowed, bittorent sites for example. I belive they should be alowed, they are my only source for anime because I am poor and have no disposable income for anime Crying or Very sad . Anyway tell me what you think about some of the contraversial stuff about anime or releated that got your thread locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
No I personally don't think that links or discussions of BitTorrent sites, etc, should be allowed to be discussed here. As well, I don't want to get into an "ethical" discussions so I won't go any further.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
If you're poor, than stop watching anime and go get a job. Idea
Even if the little money I made and college expenses, I still squeeze enough money to buy my anime and manga.

Everybody wants something for nothing and we already got too much dvdrip leecher and people who just only dl fansub already. What kind of anime fan are you.

The only change that probably need to be done is your attitude and respect for anime and the people that create them.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fatal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
bittorent sites for example. I belive they should be alowed, they are my only source for anime because I am poor and have no disposable income for anime Crying or Very sad

FYI, anime torrents are illegal. It's stealing. It's like saying I have no money for food so I'll just take it from the supermarket.

superonizuka wrote:
As well, I don't want to get into an "ethical" discussions so I won't go any further.

Me as well, but it's a fact that fansubs are illegal, licensed or unlicensed.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
If your parents can afford to pay 50 buck for high sped internet acceess, I'm sure they can afford to buy you some anime. Poor my ass.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Fine think what you want, first off this isnt the topic second off me like most people in the world realy do want something for nothing, I bet you are people who whould think throwing money in the sewer is productive. Now Im not saying buying is bad, but even some anime companies think fan subs are great and I do pay for some of my anime, ie hellsing manga and Dirty Pair Flash Perfect... But lets think how much anime have you seen if you buy all of yours, my list includes more then 25 different anime series, WHAT ABOUT YOU??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
First off, cut down on the run-ons.
Secondly, I seen a about 10-15 (I haven't counted, but it is probably less than 12) series of which I have purchased. I work long hours for my anime and manga, as well go to college and intern at a research clinic.

wait a sec...

Quote:
I bet you are people who whould think throwing money in the sewer is productive.

Yeah, if that were true, I think you are the type of a person who would just like to freeload and mooch of someone's labor.

Quote:
But lets think how much anime have you seen if you buy all of yours, my list includes more then 25 different anime series, WHAT ABOUT YOU??

I really don't understand exactly what you are saying, but I am assuming you want to watch in quantity over quality of what you watch.

But, again, I will reiterate my stance on, no this shouldn't be allowed here. But then again I don't see a purpose to this, since it is leading towards another for or against fansubs/downloading debacle. Whether one of us wishes for or against it.

Last edited by SuperOnizuka on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
demonkinsin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
So, Are you saying that you would'nt get a job and earn an honest days cut to pay for a passion that most anime fans have but instead download anime for free, illegaly, and instead of help the anime buisness by buying your anime/manga but instead hurt it by downloading it?

And don't say your not hurting because however much you think you are'nt, you most definately are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fatal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
Fine think what you want, first off this isnt the topic second off me like most people in the world realy do want something for nothing, I bet you are people who whould think throwing money in the sewer is productive. Now Im not saying buying is bad, but even some anime companies think fan subs are great and I do pay for some of my anime, ie hellsing manga and Dirty Pair Flash Perfect... But lets think how much anime have you seen if you buy all of yours, my list includes more then 25 different anime series, WHAT ABOUT YOU??

WOW. First off, I know that reply wasn't for me. And to get back on topic, immature, illogical and useless threads like this one shouldn't be allowed. Especially on the "Internet's most trusted news source" forum.

Now, as George Costanza says, "We're in a society here!" Getting something from nothing is pure bullshit. That's not the way it works. Going back to my previous post, fansubs are illegal and is considered stealing. Downloading anime on the grounds of not having money is lame, which would lead to a reply like darkhunter's.

On the last point, I bought most of my anime (over 300+ anime R1 and R2 dvd's last time I counted, and that was LAST year) and I have seen waaaaaaaaay more than 25 anime titles. In fact, I've lost count, and that's not counting fansubs (yes I d/l as well, but that's a different topic that I'd rather not talk about)
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
If your parents can afford to pay 50 buck for high sped internet acceess, I'm sure they can afford to buy you some anime. Poor my ass.

High speed internet is a needed thing to make money Smile. Im pretty sure his parent won't buy anime for him too! Not everyone is made of money! I am one of those people that do download some stuff and buy some. Just cause your family can afford internet acess, I am sure you can go buy a 60k car! Oh and I do got internet access and im poor, you got a problem with it?? Mad
I am sure he is the same as me, but more rich Smile. I have never brought anything, I don't think I have spend over 250$ on stuff I don't need.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Why don't you use Netflix? I hardly spend my money on anime since I get mine through Netflix. You can even get movies like Battle Royalle which will never be in video stores or online stores like Amazon.com.

Edit: Didn't see the part about you being in Canada. I don't know if Netflix also delivers stuff to Canada too.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this post as being usless, but do you download music? Thats illegal. But there are many, many artists out there who have been inspired by songs that they may have never heard otherwise. Also like I said before, there are anime companies that acctully want fan subs. They help market the product. If you like what you see, mabey you will buy it. I saw Dirty Pair Flash fan sub and decided to buy it, but it took me about two months to save for it. I would like to say that I dont share the anime I download, for you who says this hurts the industry. So Fatal how much did you invest in anime? I love anime but even I have a life and expences. Anyway how many people use fan subs, I dunno but people make them for the average guy, I would never have started liking anime if there wasnt fan subs, but now I do absolutly love it, so you can bite me!
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The Netflix looks like a really cool way to watch dvds! Too bad, I dont got money for it. Crying or Very sad Darkhunter maybe you can buy it for me Smile. hehe joking but if you do private msg me Smile!
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Well the arguement on downloading music is a good point you have there. Technically I remember hearing its not illegal to download mp3's as long as you dont share them. I dont know of this is true so im not going into that. First off, if everyone downloaded anime there would be no anime at any store in english because the downloading would have killed the market for anime since there would be no return of money. That means that the anime industry mainly runs on people actually buying the dvds. Second, if you do download stuff why do you have to tell people that are most likely going to bash and flame you for saying you download. Downloading can be a way of expressing your rage against industries that charge way too much per dvd but it should not become a way of life. And never use the excuse im poor because most of you wouldnt even be thinking of anime if you were "really poor". You can not have money to spend on the things you "want" but you should be grateful you have the things you "need". Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The debate of fansubs is a tricky one. Here is an old thread I made a while ago talking about fansubs and bootlegs.

I don't really remember what my mindset was when I made this, but as of today, I'll say I don't mind fansubs to a degree. However, as an honorable person, I'd at least like to pay a little money to the people that made it possible for me to watch many of my favorite shows on TV or DVD.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like showing my appreciation to people for the good things they do.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2