• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] What is a song?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
For those of you who keep calling background music songs, I'm here to discuss and ask people what your definition of a song is.

Everywhere I've looked (including the Dictionary) each of the definitions I've seen seem to be in the neighborhood of "a musical composition with words" or something to that degree.

I can understand if you didn't know the difference because of how the word itself was used as you were growing up, but could I get some support?

If you're a music major and can prove me wrong, then please feel free to dismiss my idea (hopefully with some written proof from a credible source).

And no, don't use the metaphorical definition like "song of bullets." Inanimate objects don't sing, they make noise. I'm talking about a 100% bona fide vocal sound emanating from some animal. Thanks! Very Happy

EDIT: Changed the subject title to be more specific.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
For those of you who keep calling background music songs, I'm here to discuss and ask people what your definition of a song is.

Everywhere I've looked (including the Dictionary) each of the definitions I've seen seem to be in the neighborhood of "a musical composition with words" or something to that degree.

I can understand if you didn't know the difference because of how the word itself was used as you were growing up, but could I get some support?

I agree with the fact that a song contains lyrics, but I still, for some reason, call every piece of music a "song". I guess it's like you said, where we're used to the word because of all of the "songs" out there. You just don't hear about "music" a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Based on the dictionary definition, you're right. Technically, anything called a "song" should have lyrics in it.
However, I think due to a gradual shift in its usage and implications, it has become common for people to use the word to describe both compositions with lyrics and short musical instrumentals. I know that I use the word interchangably without much thought, simply because of its evolving connotation. I mean, I wouldn't go so far as to call the third movement from Beethoven's ninth symphony a "song," but I might do it to Chopin's Nocturne Opus 2 No. 9. Similarly, I would never think of describing any part of Mozart's Magic Flute as a song, although technically it is a musical composition with lyrics.
Part of it, I guess, is that I grew up playing piano and violin, and was told to rehearse "songs" week after week. So I guess I'm a little more partial to loosening up the true definition of "song" than other people.
Also, I often find that common usage is often a better gauge for the truest meaning for a word than the textbook. But to each his own! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Tony, does it really worry you? Just because a piece of music is named (or not) a song, does it changes anything about it? Ok, you're right, but I think this mistake is something absolutely normal. What's going to be your next crusade? Agaisnt the term "Mature Shôjo"? Anime smile

(Please keep in mind that I don't want to offend anyone... Embarassed )
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Well it doesn't bother me if people call a piece of music a "song" (well, not too much Razz), but if they at least know the difference between the actual definition and today's connotation that has "evolved" to how most people use it, I guess I'll get by.

It's just that a lot of people don't realize this common misconception, so I thought I'd try to clear it up a little. Just do me a favor and tell all your friends about it Anime smile + sweatdrop.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
so if its music (like Tchaikovsky, or a school band or something) without lyrics, what is it, if not a song?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
so if its music (like Tchaikovsky, or a school band or something) without lyrics, what is it, if not a song?

A musical piece, a musical work, a musical score and various other names depending on how specific you want to get.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me for stating this, but what does this have to do directly with the discussion of music related to anime? It just seems too off topic for these forums. As such, although it is interesting, I'd suggest this thread be locked.

In the meantime, keeping with the topic of the thread, I excelled in musical studies for several years in my formal education and the differences were never brought up. I suppose it all changes once one enters college and goes deeper into it beyond high school level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Forgive me for stating this, but what does this have to do directly with the discussion of music related to anime? It just seems too off topic for these forums.

Actually, I brought this up because of other threads I've been seeing recently where a majority of people keep referring to background music tracks (or whatever you want to call them) on anime OSTs as "songs," which technically is not the case.

So while the thread may hold no direct relevance to anime in particular, I still feel it is an issue worth discussing. Sorry, but I like music in general and would like to (as I said before) clear the common misconception between the "pieces of music" and actual "songs."

Sorry Anime smallmouth.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
I love music as well, so it's all good. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Tony here.

My piano teacher used to be very vehement about the difference between a song and a piece (just like she would be vehement about the difference between a piano player and a pianist-- namely, the former being someone who just plays the right notes on a piano, while the second one plays music).

A song is a musical piece with lyrics that you *sing*. Singers sing songs. You can't sing a violin concerto, nor can you sing a flute duet. Even if you have a piece named, say, "Song of the Wind," you'd still be playing a piece.

Anything lacking words is typically a piece, or a work.

The difference between the two is like night and day. You may not think that it's important, but to those raised studying classical music and playing an instrument, it's very important.

(One might also argue that songs are typically used to describe more "popular"/lowbrow musical pieces with lyrics. One would not describe Wagner's Tristan und Isold as a series of songs, but would refer to them with more descriptive names, like airs, arias, and preludes.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
One would not describe Wagner's Tristan und Isold as a series of songs, but would refer to them with more descriptive names, like airs, arias, and preludes.

Ah, you beated me to it. Most instrumental music scores have a specialized name describing its style. Some have more defined formats (symphonies, concertos) while others have more freedom in styles (e.g. rhapsodies).

I still have problem memorizing different formats of dance music. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1