• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
manga/anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryu04

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
now tell me which is better:gundiam or full metal alchemist?
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what you're asking. Is it whether the manga or the anime of those series is better, or is it whether Gundam or FMA is better, ignoring your thread title?

Also which Gundam? And what are your feelings, or are you asking for advice on what series to collect?

Please be more verbose next time you start a thread.
matticans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, if you are asking which one you should get specify so. I still don't get the title of your thread though.

If you are just asking which one we think is better, well then I think this thread should be locked before this turns into another argument thread.

Please tell us what you are meaning. Very Happy
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Besides, if it is a comparison between the two titles, then they're really way too drastically different for that to work. For one thing, both titles rarely overlap thematically, only occasionally coming together on the subject of a young man's coming of age amidst the ethical questions of war & zealoutry (although it is true that the Gundam titles using these themes—MS Gundam, Zeta, SEED, etc.—make up that franchise's much better half). And then as stated, Gundam's all over the sodding place; one incarnation is of a war story with a bit of an evolutionary gig going on, the other's of a cheesy 70s-style kung fu motif, the next is a pretty boy knights-in-shining-armour fest that likes to pretend it's political, then there's the Mad Max-style spinoff and the character-driven 1800s-style series, the other war story with slicker packaging and a slightly different thematic focus, and let's not forget all the varying SD-styled titles. Some of these are really well-done, some of them suck hard, and a lot of them are utterly incomparable to Fullmetal Alchemist in any sort of plausible way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bnewhall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
Which is better: rice or bread?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:

Tough one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:

Well if you're looking to get filled up faster, I'd definitely say rice. I eat a lot of it since my mother does a lot of Asian cooking (mostly Lao, but sometimes a little Chinese too) so I'm pretty use to eating it. Basically, we have two kinds: the kind you eat with a spoon and the kind you can eat with your hands.

Eh.. I don't know how to really explain the cullinary signifcance, but feel free to ask a question if you're curious. I've never really seen a lot of non-Asian families eat rice in the first place, so the whole "eating rice with your hands" idea may seem a little weird Anime smallmouth.

But I eat a lot of American food too, so I like bread as well. Rolls, sandwich bread, hamburger/hot dog buns, and especially pizza dough (if that counts) are all common, yet still tasty depending on what's on it or what you eat it with Razz.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:59 am Reply with quote
Rice you eat with your hands?!?
What is that?

Bread has it's place, but I'd take rice any day. Not any rice, though - it has to be Kokuho Rose. I've allways had this kind since I was a kid - unless I was broke - then it's Niko Niko. I deffinately like this kind of rice better than the jasmine or basmati kind you get in some restaurants. I've never had minute rice or uncle bens, but I'm sure they can't be as good either.

Also, please don't tell me you put butter on your rice Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Rice you eat with your hands?!?
What is that?

You've never seen Indian (not Native American; Indian from India) eating rice, have you? Wink Furthermore, there are rice balls in many anime titles.

I guess you eat sushi with chopsticks. Cool

Tony K. wrote:
I've never really seen a lot of non-Asian families eat rice in the first place

Dude, you are in Texas. Haven't you been a Mexican restaurant?

Most American restaurants, no matter which type of cuisine they have, offer Oryza sativa indica from Mexico or SE Asia. Growing in tropical and subtropical zones and cannot tolerate too much temperature difference between day and night, this long grain subspecies has >25% straight chain starch (amylose), making it less sticky than its Japanese cousin, Oryza sativa japonica, which has shorter grain and grows better in temperate (higher latitude and/or altitude) climates. It contains only 15-20% amylose, making it stickier than indica. Glutinous rice, the so-called "sticky rice" for rice balls and Japanese sweets, contains less than 5% amylose. The >95% (some even with 100%) amylopectin (highly branched starch) making it extremely sticky.

An English page comparing different types of rice.

Graphic comparison of japonica, indica, glutinous japonica, glutinous indica, respectively.

Em, were we talking about "gundiam or full metal alchemist?" Anime dazed

[edit - ^^;; Okay, okay, that's enough. locked. -b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1