• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim and Cartoon Network "splitting"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This is sort of odd to explain.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA503657.html?&display=Features&referral=SUPP

Basically, Cartoon Network will be treating Adult Swim as its own network, separated from the rest of the station. They'll still be on the same channel, but Adult Swim will simply be referred to as another network under another management and under another Nielsen age bracket. Similar to Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite. AS will even get its own Nielsen Media network code (for example, Nickelodeon is NICK and Nick at Nite is NAN). Not sure what else this bodes for, but read the article to see.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
CN and AS split, Naruto gets licensed, SA gangbang prank broken into bits, the internet falling apart.... Ok, what's happening? What kind of bizzaro [expletive] world did I wake up in today?
emory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
CN and AS split, Naruto gets licensed, SA gangbang prank broken into bits, the internet falling apart.... Ok, what's happening? What kind of bizzaro [expletive] world did I wake up in today?
This change won't have any real effect on the viewing audience. This is all just behind the scenes, official paper and print, let's make mo money stuff. I just thought people would be interested in reading it.

BTW, it says AS profits are $70,000,000 a year. Hoo baby.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a good idea for them to do that. The restrictions on what they can air will probably be less strict. They will also get better commercials more that are not aimed at the lower age groups.
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
Well, that's a good idea for them to do that. The restrictions on what they can air will probably be less strict. They will also get better commercials more that are not aimed at the lower age groups.

Ya I hope they get beter commercials. Well atleast ones that are better than those damn little kid CD commercials that air all time. I hate those Evil or Very Mad . Well now that Adult Swim is its own thing do you think this might lead to more air time or do you think it will just stay the same? But truthully i would probably have to agree with emory, and say that this will not matter really.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I always thought that Cartoon Network and Adult Swim were separate entities, just based on their target demographics alone. Why did it take A.C. Nielson this long to "split" them? Was it because of the protests by the other networks? Confused

However, I do agree with both the article and all of you that said that this "split" will generate better advertising dollars for CN as a whole. As it was reported in the article, Adult Swim generated $70 million of advertising sales, which is only 7% of the reported $1 billion of late-night advertising revenue. We could possibly see more commercials, say like auto ads, running on AS now that Nielson is giving it its own channel code, which could lead to a definite increase in sales, maybe to the tune of a 3%-5% increase in ad sales. (These numbers are arbitrary, of course.)

emory, thanks for providing the link. Wink That was a good read. I printed the article for future reference. I'm going to track this in the future to see how well CN does in their overall ad sales.

Last edited by biliano on Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
This is a wonderful idea. I hate the idea of morning programming getting $ which should be allocated to AS. I'm also a little suprised that almost no women, watch AS. I've been under the impression shows like Inuyasha and .hack have a decent sized female following. Are the non-anime titles skewing the figures? I hope AS doesn't start tailoring to the male demographic with more fan service (harem shows) and ultra violent action titles.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
It's still all the same people in charge, like with Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite, they just want to distinguish Adult Swim so that those advertisers that avoid Cartoon Network completely might reconsider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm also a little suprised that almost no women, watch AS. I've been under the impression shows like Inuyasha and .hack have a decent sized female following.

I'm surprised by this as well, since InuYasha does have a very strong female fanbase. I don't think that Family Guy and Futurama are skewing the figures, though.

Quote:
I hope AS doesn't start tailoring to the male demographic with more fan service (harem shows) and ultra violent action titles.

You won't see harem anime on AS. Ever.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Quote:
I hope AS doesn't start tailoring to the male demographic with more fan service (harem shows) and ultra violent action titles.

You won't see harem anime on AS. Ever.

Sorry, but the moment Adult Swim Action went on air, back when comedy and action were split between Sunday and Saturday, AS had a little harem show called Tenchi Muyo. However, it was the Toonami version, and it was just there to fill up space in the block until AS acquired more anime. It soon dropped off the schedule and no one really minded, as it had been played to death on Toonami.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Are the non-anime titles skewing the figures?...

I'm not fully understanding that comment. Skewing the numbers to what side, because if anything it's the American anime that paved the way and had been carrying [as]. Viva la Family Guy, Futurama, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman!
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Sorry, but the moment Adult Swim Action went on air, back when comedy and action were split between Sunday and Saturday, AS had a little harem show called Tenchi Muyo.

Well, in my defense, I started watching Adult Swim around the Fall of 2002, when I first saw InuYasha and Yu Yu Hakusho. I wasn't aware that Tenchi Muyo aired on AS for a while. I'll take back the comment I made earlier.
AkiChan12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I have a few questions ><;;

1. Will adult swim Have it's own channel(><;;Wink
2. If it doesnt have its own channel, will it still be on at the same time as usual, like will the schedule ( 11-4 sunday-thursday & saturday) change??
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
AkiChan12 wrote:

2. If it doesnt have its own channel, will it still be on at the same time as usual, like will the schedule ( 11-4 sunday-thursday & saturday) change??

Well, I'm sort of expecting (though it may be wishful thinking) that Adult Swim will also air on Friday nights once the split happens. Now, Friday isn't technically AS even though they play .Hack and Gundam after midnight. They start airing Dexter and Tom and Jerry at 2 AM EST. So, if AS does start airing on Fridays, that will free up a few more slots for new anime.
matticans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
AkiChan12 wrote:

There not getting their own channel as it states here.

And I think they are still going to have the same time spots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2