• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need help on suggesting Manga titles!!!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommimacevovi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, My Sociology class required us to write a term paper with the topic of analysing a cultural objects using certain reading position, so I decided to analysis Japanese Manga and analyse them through sexuality and gender angle. Razz

Now here's the problem Crying or Very sad : I decide to analysis Action manga (My def. of Action is any type of action that will be life threatening if conducted in real life (like fighting, racing, war, etc.). So I have several choices right now at my desposial along with their reasons:

Hellsing (Male dominance/some potential homosexual tension exist between characters spoiler[Alucard and the Major]), Tenjo Tenge (female subordination techniques along with Male Masculinity), Initial D (same as TenTen), Gundam Seed (Male Masculinity and potential homosexual identity between some characters spoiler[Niccol and Deakka with Yzak]), Ghost in the shell (Female empowerment along with subordination, not to mention the potential bisexuality of some characters spoiler[The Major, but I doubt it's actually true]), and Trigun (Male reverse masculinity/dominance (Vash's Gun to protect, not to kill; also his and Wolfwood's caring nature toward other people) along with female subordination (spoiler[Millie's affection to Vash). ]

Anyway Sad the problem is I need more title that fall somewhat into my definition of action. Please give as many suggestion as you possibly can. I will be eternally grateful of any help possible.spoiler[]
JustinSane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tommimacevovi"]Hellsing (Male dominance/some potential homosexual tension exist between characters spoiler[Alucard and the Major])

By any chance are you referring to "the Major" as Integra(sp?) because if so, Integra is a woman.
Tommimacevovi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="JustinSane"]
Tommimacevovi wrote:
Hellsing (Male dominance/some potential homosexual tension exist between characters spoiler[Alucard and the Major])

By any chance are you referring to "the Major" as Integra(sp?) because if so, Integra is a woman.

No, I am talking about The Major (the Nazi vampire)
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, both your list of manga and the sexuality/gender angles are quite eclectic, so I'm not really sure what kind of suggestions you're looking for. It seems to me that if you rationalize enough, you can find gender roles in just about every action manga there is. From a purely female empowerment standpoint, I would suggest looking at Battle Angel Alita or Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, both of which deal with strong female lead characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LOUKEST8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
If I understand your topic right, it's sexual tension in action manga, right? It seems to me that you need to narrow that some more, to have something you can reasonably work with in a paper. What type of sexual tension, specifically? yaoi, yuri, hetero? The problem is that so many manga have sexual tension of some kind, the choice seems kind of random unless you narrow your topic.
Tommimacevovi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Damn...I really sux at explaining stuff... Evil or Very Mad

anyway, what I was trying to discover in all these manga are the gender aspect of the manga, where male character are always the lead one, they're violent, buff, emotionally stable, etc; the female characters are always dependent on the male character to save them, emotionally unstable, etc.

In cases of reversal where female character have the lead (Ghost in the shell, etc.) , I am more looking at how female characters are protray as object for men's desire (more like how they're draw, emotional states, stuff like that)

Sry for not clarifying this up. BTW: some of those titles you guys suggest helps a lot, thnx. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1