• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disney can compite with the Asian market?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRUSCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Disney go on with live actions of japanesse novels and CGI animations...artbook of the incredibles and other stuf, but
Why disney not explore new forms of content or change that inmature look of the life, with every fantasy tale, before decide they finish and no make more classic or good animation series like Gonzo Digimation for diferent segments of clients and ages?
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The classic excuse has been "because they are Disney".

For example, a documentary on the making of Back to the Future mentioned that the producer and director shopped the movie to many studios, and Disney was one of them to show interest.

Disney passed due to the fact that the movie had the son in a love affair with this mother.

(In Universal's care, the Back to the Future trilogy has made a ton of money, and wasn't really that indecent, so this is where "being Disney" hurt Disney.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
BRUSCO wrote:
like Gonzo Digimation for diferent segments of clients and ages?

Gonzo, while being multi-fauceted, aren't exactly the most talented of studios and are responsible for churning out a great deal of crap.

Different audiences, all that stuff, eisner, blah.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, Disney has been around since the late 1920s, and I hear it was even part of the reason anime is around today. And even still, though Disney is worldy renowned for their "immature" content, people still love it regardless. That's the way history has proceeded, and I suppose they'd like to somewhat stay that way as long as they can because they still have fans.

I personally wouldn't want them to change. Anime is still very niche in the U.S. and Disney is really more of the family-oriented stuff that and, aside from Warner Brothers, is the only other popular form of animation for all ages still out there. And because of this, I feel it has it's own right to stay around. I mean, Disney doing something like Full Metal Panic? Come on, that's just too out of place Razz.

Of course, I've been out of the Disney fanbase since The Lion King, which even in itself is supposedly a "rip-off" of Kimba the White Lion (which I haven't seen).

Yeesh, this is complicated... I guess a good way to say it is to quote former NBA player Charles Oakley, "If it ain't broke, don't break it." Wink
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
BRUSCO wrote:

Gonzo, while being multi-fauceted, aren't exactly the most talented of studios and are responsible for churning out a great deal of crap.

Heh, well said. Disney still holds a lot more water than Asian animation does in America, and it will most likely stay that way. Disney is family friendly, and kids entertainment is where the money lies. After all, for every one or two money-making adults, there are usually 2, 3, 5+ kids. That's 5 sets of movie tickets, birthday presents, etc. And as for older people, teens like the 'retro'ness of disney characters, and art enthusiasts prefer Disney's animation quality. And then you add in all the stuff Disney owns, the themeparks, the tv shares...Disney is hella rich, simply put. Sometimes Disney movies fair better in Japan than their own animated feature films do.

(edit) The Lion King isn't a rip-off of Kimba. The Lion King is based on Shakespear's Hamlet.

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Because the sort of things Disney does is generally profitable (they hit a rough patch with animated films after Lilo & Stitch, but I'm predicting that Chicken Little will be their best-performing animated film at least since L&S), so they will continue doing what they've always done (though it will be CGI for a while until 2D is en vogue again).

Anyway, Disney's greatest competition isn't anime, which is, in real terms, just a niche market in the United States, it's Nickelodeon and Dreamworks and potentially Pixar, when Disney stops distributing their films.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree with most of the comments above. I have to say that most of the stuff disney puts out isnt very good (with the exeption of a few things of course) but disney hasn't been very experimental or creative in a while Very Happy
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally looking forward to a lot of new Disney movies. First off, real-life Chronicles of Narnia movies. Sweet!

Secondly, Chicken Little looks very promising. While it may be 3d, and I'm not entirely happy about that, it retains very old-time Disney-esque character desgins.

And I need to go get Treasure Planet on Dvd sometime....that was a good movie, it's sad that it didn't get any attention.

And when Disney is putting out all of Studio Ghibli's classic movies on DVD with amazing dub quality, who can complain? :D I really hope that they bring Whisper of the Heart and Pom Poko here....but sadly, Pom Poko probably won't happen, due to....uh, cultural differences. spoiler[Aka, tanuki testicles... >_>]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
You do know, disney released Princess Mononoki. So why not that Razz
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:42 am Reply with quote
Disney's lost it's way. Right now, Pixar is making the kinda of movies that the core disney studios SHOULD be making. The problem with Disney is that they just don't understand what they're doing wrong.

Sure, Disney movies have always been fairly cutting edge in terms of animation technology (multi-plane cameras, early CG, etc.), but at the core, Disney movies work because they have many layers of storytelling. Practically every successful Disney movie has, first and foremost, been attractive to children, generally through bright colors, smooth animation, one or more adorable sidekicks, soothing female leads, and simple humor. On another level, there's generally material that parents and other adults can also enjoy when watching the film, such as a deeper plot, or humor aimed at the adults in the audience that, while by no means offensive or "adult" in nature, will likely go well over the head of any ten year olds in the audience.

Modern Disney movies, while maintaining the animation quality of previous films, are crap for story. They're mainly knockoffs of anime, trying to capture the "buzz" that surrounds those movies. If they really want to do that, then they should just higher mangaka and anime dirrectors to work on their films. That stuff just isn't "Disney", but nor does it have to be for Disney to succeed. The most successful animated film last year wasn't by Miyazaki, or GitS, it was a CG movie that was a comedy that appeals to all ages.

That's what Disney needs ot get back into if they want to make money, movies that are roughly 40% humor, 30% action, 50% simple romance, that both kids and adults can enjoy. They shouldn't try at the anime stuff, the Japanese just do it better.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
BRUSCO wrote:

well pretty much any studio has a pretty big crap to quality ratio with the possible exception of Studio Ghibli but thats open to debate depening on who you ask.

While everything Ghibli has put out I liked there some that I thought I didn't like nearly as much as others.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:27 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Disney's lost it's way. Right now, Pixar is making the kinda of movies that the core disney studios SHOULD be making. The problem with Disney is that they just don't understand what they're doing wrong.

Yes that's right, I agree.

It's clear that Disney cannot compete with studio like Production-IG, Madhouse or Gonzo since Disney's main target are the kids or teenagers. When Disney will make mature cartoons like Jin Roh, Texhnolyze or Monster, then it could compete one day.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
Sakurazukamori wrote:

Yes that's right, I agree.

It's clear that Disney cannot compete with studio like Production-IG, Madhouse or Gonzo since Disney's main target are the kids or teenagers. When Disney will make mature cartoons like Jin Roh, Texhnolyze or Monster, then it could compete one day.

Compete with small market, late night TV shows and low-running cinema releases which rely on heavily inflated cost-wise (with minimal content) DVD releases to stay afloat?

Disney is straying off course, and I beleive once Eisner is replaced things can only go better, but the Anime industry is in no position to take any kind of market dominance, due to it's obscurity on both sides of the world (Sure, Ghibli films do often hit #1 in Boxoffice charts in Japan, however this is not always the case with a LOT of Anime films made. )
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Compete with small market, late night TV shows and low-running cinema releases which rely on heavily inflated cost-wise (with minimal content) DVD releases to stay afloat?

One day, try to think other than "money money money money". Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 am Reply with quote
Sakurazukamori wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

One day, try to think other than "money money money money". Rolling Eyes

Ok, fine, I'll focus on the content aspect more-

The reason Disney wouldn't make decent adult films (and thus stray away from them) is because the general appeal of a Disney film isn't hardcore realism, or gritty situations. It isn't even so much about Animation, which once again completely decimates Japanese Animation. The main draw of a Disney film, much like a Studio Ghibli film, is something that can not only be enjoyed by children, but also something that doesn't demean adults who watch it.

In the bonus features for The Beauty and the Beast, when it was submitted (half finished) to an art festival, they were expected (and were, at first) to be laughed at because everyone thought "hey, Disney are only kids films! who cares!". They didn't expect a standing ovation for a half-finished film. Since then, they've churned out films such as Aladdin and The Lion King, both set in child-conventional enviroments, but both also possessing deep and moving characters and situations. Atlantis, which featured a very realistic cast and stiuation, which had no songs but was never entirely "off-limits" to any age or race. And there are others- Lilo and Stitch, Mulan, The Gargoyles Animated series (which admittedly lost its flavour around the last 13 episodes), as well as a bevvy of other films, all of which carried mature themes, but were presented in ways all members of the audience could appreciate.

This is what Disney aim for, and this is usually what Disney can get. They don't need to make Jin Roh or Texhnolyze, because people who watch Disney films do not want Texhnolyze or Jin Roh, and Disney do not want to make them.

Ontop of that, the target audience for say, Anime shown on Adult Swim (FMA, gits:sac, Wolf's Rain) is different to the age that Disney aim for (as a basis, anyway). Also, people don't really want adult American animation, they want Anime. They want it because it's Anime.

They have fallen out of favour recently, but I do beleive that once they're over the "3D = gold" stage, they'll be back on track.

edit- I should also re-iterate that what Disney can do is not a bad thing, what they are CURRENTLY doing as a result of Eisner ([expletive] over Pixar, closing a majority of 2D studios) is incredibly stupid. The only change of style needed would be to revert to what they did back in the early ninties till early 2000.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3