• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragononi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network has shown a lot of Gundam animes. Does anyone know if they plan to show Gundam X or Gundam ZZ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the fact that neither is "licenced" yet, X may have a chance, but I don't think ZZ, or any other UC Gundam, will be aired on TV again.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Those shows haven't even been announced for US distribution yet, so any confirmation on that's still a long ways off. Personally though, the only Gundam titles I see them picking up from this point on are Gundam SEED Destiny and Gundam X, with Gundam X being a bit of a stretch. Their dubious treatment of the Universal Century aspect of Gundam pretty much ensures that F91, Zeta, ZZ, & Victory will never get a TV run, and I don't think they'll want to touch Turn-A because it's the least action-oriented of the Gundam series and "OMG THE GUNDAM HAS A MOUSTACHE THIS SHOW SUCKS!!!" or something retarded like that. Rolling Eyes From what I've heard, Cartoon Network definitely plan on getting SEED Destiny (which surprised me because a dubious treatment of SEED caused it to fall short on TV despite very healthy DVD sales), and Gundam X probably has a chance because "it looks like Wing," assuming Cartoon Network haven't given up on Gundam completely by that time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's CN's fault for Gundam not being so good for them. They treated the series pretty poorly and with GUndam, you need to keep it coming consistantly, not have off periods, else people will lose interest and go away. If they'd just show it like it should be shown (consistantly. no retarded ideas like showing only half of the series then waiting an entire year to show the rest, etc.), then they'd find that ALL the gundam series can be VERY good for them ratings-wise (despite my despising of the Gundam English dubs. though honestly, I got into Gundam thanks to CN showing Gundam Wing . . . dubbed).
Dragononi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Thats how I got into Gundam too, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
From what I've heard, Cartoon Network definitely plan on getting SEED Destiny (which surprised me because a dubious treatment of SEED caused it to fall short on TV despite very healthy DVD sales)

Where did you hear that? It's definitely a lock for YTV, but I didn't think CN would be eager to pick it up.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
If Zeta can produce decent sales (Which I believe it has) there is a chance that ZZ could be shown on CN or AS. I have not yet seen all of Zeta nor any part of ZZ, but if remember doesn't one need to seen Zeta to understand ZZ? Someone could get by watching Zeta by themselves without seeing MSG right? SO I think Zeta would need to be shown first and have a strong following for ZZ to be shown.

Anyways moving on, X I think has a very good chance to be shown. This show is very simple to follow (More so then G Gundam maybe) and is completly action packed. The only problem I see with this show getting on CN/AS would be that if after Destiney runs will be there a crowd that will be still watching Gundam. After having SEED recieved so low marks (Based on heavy editing/time slot position) and was removed for RK reruns. I find it hard to see the network heads spending money on something that just has not produced the way they wanted it to.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
It didn't get the results they wanted because they didn't utilize it right. If they'd had unedited eps in AS and the edited crud at about 5 PM during Toonami, they'd have gotten the results they wanted (allows time for HS students to get some HW done, and allows for most kids to get home from after-school sports, and still show it before dinner time). Essentially, if they decide to finally treat SEED right and get it in a proper timeslot as well as without alot of heavy editing (not much is even NEEDED, btw), then they'd be golden, and GSD could then bring them even MORE results.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:12 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
If Zeta can produce decent sales (Which I believe it has) there is a chance that ZZ could be shown on CN or AS.

So why not just show Zeta if it's the one selling well? Besides, strong DVD sales probably wouldn't be much of a motivator to give the sequel a TV run, especially considering how SEED's gone thus far (sells well, but ratings are "only about average"). Of course, the fact that both Zeta & ZZ are from the 80s and older shows that aren't named Robotech or Voltron don't usually fare very well would also be a reason for them to avoid both entirely.

Deltakiral wrote:
I have not yet seen all of Zeta nor any part of ZZ, but if remember doesn't one need to seen Zeta to understand ZZ?

Yes, because Double Zeta picks up right after Zeta ends, and Zeta essentially covers the beginning of the main conflict in ZZ (the Neo-Zeon War against Haman Khan).

Deltakiral wrote:
After having SEED recieved so low marks (Based on heavy editing/time slot position)

SEED wasn't that heavily edited, though the fact that the timeslot was essentially a "dead zone" between the Dragon Ball that the majority of Toonami's audience only cares for and Adult Swim when a different audience comes in didn't really help. G Gundam could pull off the "post-DBZ encore" because the "radical fightin' robots" aspect appealed to Dragon Ball fans; the fact that SEED is more the political/dramatic war story reminiscent of classic UC Gundam...that similar appeal is lost.

Sir_Brass wrote:
If they'd had unedited eps in AS and the edited crud at about 5 PM during Toonami, they'd have gotten the results they wanted

I think the collective dream of "dual Toonami/Adut Swim" runs of shows will never really happen, to be honest. For one thing, the schedules wouldn't allow for it; "afternoon Toonami" runs five days a week, current Toonami only once, and Adult Swim runs two separate schedules: the three-night weeknight schedule and Saturday schedule with a Thursday encore. The only time these schedules overlap for a show to have an equal amount of new episodes per week is Saturday, and having the same show air in two versions on the same night just wouldn't work (once in the afternoon and later that same night, yes, twice within less than two hours of each other, no). Secondly, both programming blocks are already a bit crowded with their own shows; Toonami and Adult Swim have enough on their collective plates without having to find a way for them both to squeeze the same show in somehow. And thirdly, there really is no genuine precedent for it, because "Toonami Midnight Run" is not Adult Swim. It was an extension of the afternoon Toonami, whereas Adult Swim is a completely different entity; the fact that they're both late-night blocks that show anime is almost completely coincidential, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
gundam X doesn't have much chance to get aired on TV because the show was a bit of a failure in Japan. Don't think that something like that is appealing to licensing companies
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
TF wrote:
gundam X doesn't have much chance to get aired on TV because the show was a bit of a failure in Japan. Don't think that something like that is appealing to licensing companies

Bandai have announced plans on importing every majour Gundam title, however. On top of that, Gundam X is experiencing a bit of a revival in Japan, punctuated by the Region 2 DVD release of the series.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Always a good thing, I think Gundam X never got the credit it deserved, as I think its one of the best series out there. ZZ on the other hand wasnt too good at all, so I dont think anyone over here would miss it. But it would be nice to see GX stateside.
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
ZZ may come soon. Since Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam is coming this summer and if Bandai didn't mess with it then mobile suits from ZZ would be in it. There for that would mean that dub voices were recorded for it and so that could mean that work has begun on the series.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
TF wrote:

If I remember correctly the initial OVA sales of War in the Pocket were very low compared to sales of Char's and Stardust Memory. It still was aired on CN. I also believe The Big O season one was not too popular in Japan. If anything the question should be if CN is willing to invest in something that is older than a chunk of it's fans. The shows that have done poorly for CN have been shows like 0079 Gundam and Lupin III, both which were highly regarded in Japan.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
If Zeta can produce decent sales (Which I believe it has) there is a chance that ZZ could be shown on CN or AS.

So why not just show Zeta if it's the one selling well? Besides, strong DVD sales probably wouldn't be much of a motivator to give the sequel a TV run, especially considering how SEED's gone thus far (sells well, but ratings are "only about average").

Well first off I don't know if CN/AS has the rights to play Zeta, but if they did decide to purchase them, it would be after Seed Destiney I believe. To make sure that their is an audience that would want to watch Zeta, since SEED has been called a clone of the original MSG.

Deltakiral wrote:
After having SEED recieved so low marks (Based on heavy editing/time slot position)

Nagisa wrote:
SEED wasn't that heavily edited, though the fact that the timeslot was essentially a "dead zone" between the Dragon Ball that the majority of Toonami's audience only cares for and Adult Swim when a different audience comes in didn't really help.

Editing wasn't the worse thing ever happened to Anime but it's so difficult to watch a show where the handguns fire lazer off and had that terrible sound effect going for it. I mean come on, even my little baby G-Wing got to use guns. But it is very obvious (to me anyways) that Seed had the worse time slot ever. It's way to late for little kids, most teenager are out with their friends, and for 18 and over: most of us have the juggling act of school, work, and trying to keep a steady social life (AKA keeping the misses happy). It also does not help that DBGT is soooooo impossible to watch, I would often times flip to CN and see that seed was going to be on soon but DBGT is on and I would a) Change the channel forgetting that I wanted to watch Seed. b) Call a friend and see what they are doing tonite. c) Try to make some dinner. d) I didn't see that Seed was going to be on, I was at work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2