• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Turn A Gundam's Opening Sequence?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know where I'd be able to watch this? I'm interested in seeing all of the "Classic Gundam Footage" at the start of it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Hm.. my only guess on how to see it legally is to find the official website or something and look for the opening itself, but it's probably either in Japanese or very hard to find.

You could always just download the first episode, watch the opening, then delete it, but now that's a question of your own personal morals as well, I suppose.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Does anyone know where I'd be able to watch this? I'm interested in seeing all of the "Classic Gundam Footage" at the start of it.

The "classic Gundam footage" at the start is actually extremely fleeting. A bunch of "glass shards" fly past the screen with a different scene from a different Gundam series reflected in each little bit, and it's hard to really see them beyond maybe one or two.

I'd post a site that has anime opening & ending videos for download without the rest of the show, but the last time someone did that they got in trouble...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Super Arrow wrote:

The "classic Gundam footage" at the start is actually extremely fleeting. A bunch of "glass shards" fly past the screen with a different scene from a different Gundam series reflected in each little bit, and it's hard to really see them beyond maybe one or two.

I'd post a site that has anime opening & ending videos for download without the rest of the show, but the last time someone did that they got in trouble...

There's also an episode near the middle end where similar clips are shown briefly on TVs in the background of the scene.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
The "Classic Gundam Footage" is so trivial that I had never noticed it until now. Why not just watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam for that "Classic Gundam Footage"?
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
The "Classic Gundam Footage" is so trivial that I had never noticed it until now. Why not just watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam for that "Classic Gundam Footage"?

Really?

Uh... I'd say that, despite it being just a small flash here and there... it has a lot to do with what they're trying to accomplish with the series.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I know this is kind of breaking off from the main point, but...
I've been wondering about Turn A Gundam; I love the music and I like the character designs, but I've never seen the show and I've heard mixed reviews. Is it any good? The last time I took a wager on a watching a series before knowing anything about it was Brain Powered, and I didn't like it at all...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't like the opening music to Turn A, the ending one is good though. As the series goes, im through ep. 21, it takes a while to get into, but once you do get into it, its worth it.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Turn A, and I've seen through 19. Does the show get better at all? I just can't get into it but I want to see all of Gundam so I'm gonna stick with it. But does the pace change? I can appreciate political intrigue and such but this is Gundam, and in my opinion there hasn't been a lot of MS action. Turn A still doesn't have its weapons. I like the idea, but so far I'm not too wild about how its been handled so far. So are things going to change? Are there gonna be bombshells and plot twists along with some more MS action to keep my interest? I hope so, cause I think the series is a little too slow for my taste.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
but I've never seen the show and I've heard mixed reviews. Is it any good?

Short of TranceLimit's post—the only time I've actually heard someone levy a genuine complaint against the series—all the bad press I encounter is centered almost solely around the fact that "holy crap, this Gundam has a moustache and was drawn by an American!" If you ask me, it's a solid series rooted more in political intrigue and hardline character development than mech action & brutal war (which, yes, is quite a change of pace from standard Gundam fare). If that sounds appealing, I'd say it's worth a try. If not, then you'd probably be better off with another Gundam title like something Universal Century or SEED-related.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I've been watching Turn A, and I've seen through 19. Does the show get better at all? I just can't get into it but I want to see all of Gundam so I'm gonna stick with it. But does the pace change? I can appreciate political intrigue and such but this is Gundam, and in my opinion there hasn't been a lot of MS action. Turn A still doesn't have its weapons. I like the idea, but so far I'm not too wild about how its been handled so far. So are things going to change? Are there gonna be bombshells and plot twists along with some more MS action to keep my interest? I hope so, cause I think the series is a little too slow for my taste.

MS action is light throughout the series. The battles that do take place are really well done, I think, but obviously they're much fewer in number than in previous shows. The pace does begin to pick up, but if you're looking for mecha battles, you're going to have to wait until about the last ten episodes or so before they start happening frequently (ie, a major battle almost every episode, like in most Gundam shows).

Cloe: I've only seen the first episode of Brain Powered, so I really can't say how similar Turn A is to that or whether you'd dislike it because you disliked Brain Powered. I will say that I'm a fairly avid Gundam fan (it's just about the only anime I watch anymore, along with some occasional Macross) and, having seen all Gundam TV series, OVAs, and movies, I still consider Turn A to be one of the best (my second favorite, just behind Victory Gundam). It took me some time to get into it, tough. Very first time I saw it, I was a little unsure after the first three or four episodes, but I kept with it and obviously I eventually totally changed my mind. If you don't have the patience to let the show develop, skip it. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Those first few episodes aren't even actually bad on their own merit -- I have no trouble watching them now whenever I rewatch the series. Just, they were quite a bit different from what I expected to see, and it threw me until my expectations were readjusted. Come in expecting something different from other Gundam shows, and you should be fine. But the pace will be slow and the show definitely takes its time before it starts getting to the real meat, so you have to be patient with it.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well I just watched through ep. 22 and I gotta say, 22 was an entertaining episode. I'm trying to readjust my expectations for the show, if you look at it as more of a drama and not so much as a Gundam series its a lot better. I'm sticking with it for the same reason everyone says, things get good later on and there are plenty of plot hints that make me want to watch so that way I at least know what everything leads up to.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Really?

Uh... I'd say that, despite it being just a small flash here and there... it has a lot to do with what they're trying to accomplish with the series.

I never meant that the inclusion of it was insignificant but more the execution of it was insignificant. It's simply a couple quick flashes for two very short sequences. The sequences in the second Turn A movie Moonlight Butterfly were better than the intro's but still did little to properly set the Big Bang.

I like how you put that as "trying to accomplish", too. I think Tomino's Big Bang Idea was a decent thought but no matter how you try to work it, it just seems more and more improbable.

Hopefully the TV series will do a better job of explaining the Big Bang Theory than the movies did.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
If you ask me, it's a solid series rooted more in political intrigue and hardline character development than mech action & brutal war (which, yes, is quite a change of pace from standard Gundam fare). If that sounds appealing, I'd say it's worth a try. If not, then you'd probably be better off with another Gundam title like something Universal Century or SEED-related.

Thanks, that's very helpful (and thank you TranceLimit174 and zaphdash). I actually prefer mecha shows that focus on drama and character as much as/more than action. I'm a huge Macross fan and generally liked those incarnations better than most of Gundam's (for the very reason that there was a little TOO much action in a lot of the Universal Century storyline and most of the alternate universes). But this one sounds like it's more up my alley.

Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
linlinchan wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Really?

I never meant that the inclusion of it was insignificant but more the execution of it was insignificant. It's simply a couple quick flashes for two very short sequences. The sequences in the second Turn A movie Moonlight Butterfly were better than the intro's but still did little to properly set the Big Bang.

I like how you put that as "trying to accomplish", too. I think Tomino's Big Bang Idea was a decent thought but no matter how you try to work it, it just seems more and more improbable.

Hopefully the TV series will do a better job of explaining the Big Bang Theory than the movies did.

spoiler[If you're looking for someone to hammer out exactly what order everything took place in and how each universe led into the next, you're going to be out of luck. Tomino just tells you that it happened, same as in the movie. The TV series makes it a bit more believable in that they say it's been 10,000 years since the dawn of the space age (I believe the movies just said 5000), so over a longer period of time it becomes a little more plausible. But a detailed explanation is never offered. It's really for the best anyway. Dark History isn't the focus of the show, it's only a tool to establish how and why these two groups of people have been separated so long. A long, detailed explanation about how everything fits together would just be a distraction from the actual story the show is trying to tell. It's best if you just accept that it happened without trying to figure it out, and watch the show knowing that all these things occurred at some point in the past to bring us to the point the world is at in the show.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2