• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ranma 1/2 Manga Gets Live-Action Special with Yui Aragaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I am scared...

DEAD SCARED of this!

I'm scared too. This is scarier than an episode of A Haunting.
Though it's interesting, I'm skeptical as to how this will work. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
tetron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
well if they do have enough money in their budget, maybe CGI on the panda/pig/etc.?

although I am very interested in the guy using a panda suit xD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The actresses are too old! Laughing
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Twenty-somethings playing high-schoolers? SCANDELOUS! Laughing

If they camp this live-action special up BIG-TIME, it might no be the worst ever offense committed to film. In fact, taking a page out of Stephen Chow's directorial notebook might be a good start in the right direction.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
A live action Ranma 1/2? Somehow that sounds terrible and interesting at the same time.

But given the theme of the show (Ranma transforming) I am not sure if this will be done all that well.

And with P-Chan, I imagine a stuffed pig making pig noises will be used instead of a real pig.

To be honest though, I'd like to see one grand finale that ties all up most of the lose ends (or at least give the series a true series finale) more than anything. I'd even settle for a manga one shot or something.

Bob Loblaw: Technically in season for, Akane briefly stated that two years passed in the series, so the cast members (Ranma, Akane, Ryoga, etc) should be 18, maybe slightly older. It's been a LONG time since I've seen the series, much less the fourth season, so I am not really sure what episode that was during the fourth season.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
So it's not just Hollywierd that remakes old stuff.

The article says something about a "revival" of the manga-what exactly does that mean, I wonder?
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
c'mon, guys.

it's damn Ranma 1/2. it's a gag comedy and it's gonna be camp since it is already campy to begin with.

the animals are gonna be easy stuff.

Genma Panda will just be somebody in a panda-suit, P-chan, Shampoo, Mousse, etc, will be done ala Babe film. just basic camera-tricks and stuff.

the most intriguing part will be, of course, Girl-Ranma. i hope they don't make the actor look like a really horrible-looking drag-queen when transformed. Natsuna's already cute as is.

the other thing is the martial arts stuff. if this is a hk-production, it'll be easy choreography with lotsa wires and shit, you know. however, it's a japanese production, so i dunno, maybe the old and corny sentai-stuff karate thingy. hope they do better, tho.

i also think they're not gonna go full ecchi on this. prolly only really really sanitized bikini-tease and stuff.

dialogue's gonna be crap and stilted, as always in most non-artsy japanese productions.

overall, i think this live-action really has potential. i don't think production is gonna be that expensive, either.

just hoping they don't add any CGI and other crap. hope they do it just old-school tv-style.

Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Twenty-somethings playing high-schoolers? SCANDELOUS! Laughing

Hey, y'know that would've been one of the complaints in the West. Just pre-emptive strike. Laughing

Though Chow wouldn't be bad....

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Bob Loblaw: Technically in season for, Akane briefly stated that two years passed in the series, so the cast members (Ranma, Akane, Ryoga, etc) should be 18, maybe slightly older.

None of 'em ages. Kuno and Nabiki never graduate, IIRC. Laughing
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, ha I didn't see this coming, really strange (but kinda cool) that Ranma's still getting billing all these years later.

I really wonder how well this would work... the series was a child of the late 80's early 90's, a different time with a different spirit and a totally cornball, positive, wacky and campy atmosphere. A lot has changed since then, the general tone and pace of society is a lot less innocent and more gritty/subdued, I can only wonder how closely they can capture the original spirit of the work in this brave new world of Hatsune Miku's, K-ON and Catherine.

I mean, I could imagine popping an old VHS and seeing a goofy live action version from the 80's and thinking, yeah, this is about right... But in crisp HD, set in contemporary Japan with its modern fashion, music and cultural sensibilities? I just dunno if it'd be the same (not necessarily bad, but probably not the same, unless they're deliberately anachronistic). I heard somewhere that the Maison Ikkoku live-action series got cancelled, so perhaps it didn't translate very well to a modern sensibility? If so, I'd wonder if that may reflect at all on this production, but then again, since it's just a one-shot special I suppose they'll go all out in one swing. Hehe, I'm really curious how this'll turn out! Razz
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
A live action Ranma 1/2? Somehow that sounds terrible and interesting at the same time.

Sums up what I think also. I would laugh if they announce Gonzo is doing the CG, then cry.....
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Someone posted this information on another site:

Quote:
Apparently there’s a live-action Ranma 1/2 drama/made for TV movie coming in December.

http://news.searchina.ne.jp/disp.cgi?y=2011&d=0927&f=national_0927_031.shtml

Cast:
Akane - 新垣結衣
Ranma - (Male)賀来賢人 (Female)夏菜
Genma - 古田新太
Soun - 生瀬勝久
Kasumi - 長谷川京子
Dr. Tofu - 谷原章介

I'm wondering if only the first portion of the manga will be shown before the extended cast was introduced. I am uncertain if this is the full cast list or not - I don't see Nabiki anywhere. Or maybe it's an original storyline.

Having seen some episodes of different Kamen Rider series and the entire series of GARO, I probably won't be too off-put from the CGI. It's not actually all that bad. Several scenes were hokey in the series I watched, but they weren't bad. And this Ranma renewal is only a 2-hour or so thing vs. a 25-50 episode series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
It be a shame if they excluded Nabiki cause I loved her more than Akane. But no offense to any of the Akane fans out there.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Alas, this is almost certainly going to be another jilted, soulless piece of fluff like pretty much every other live-action special based on a long-running manga. Oy.
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't get you people sounding so negative with this. Whenever they make a Japanese adaptation of a manga, it's really precise compared to the American versions.

Anyways, I'm still watching it, since most of the actors in this are pretty good. Gakky (Aragaki Yui) literally made me cry during Koizora and SMILE, Natsuna was good during Gantz and Kimi ni Todoke, and I love Tanihara Sousuke after seeing him as Maity in Lovely Complex. <3

Now I wonder if they'll add in Shampoo...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This is a one-shot TV movie and not a whole series, right? Can't be that bad.

The pilot episode of Ranma 1/2 still gets me every time. I love the bathroom reveal scene. If they can recreate the basic setting and keep the humor I'll want to watch it! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3