• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
what inspired nadesico? (spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
i think that i heard that it was supposed to be a spoof on old mecha anime. i've seen similarities to macross do you remember love with the main character getting all the girls (kinda reminds of of vandred, even though that came out later), ep. 10 i think it was, there was a character in that gekiganger anime that akito was watching, aquamarine; she reminds me of the plot in macross II. but the mecha designs in gekiganer seem to be inspired by super robots though.
and does anyone know if this inpired vandred?
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
What Mecha anime didn't it spoof?

It's main one is Eva. In fact, if you can get hold of Eva Vs Nadesico, you 'll see the starting credits of both series are nearly identical. (Can't give you a link, because I've lost it - Sorry).

All the characters seem to be based on Eva too. Just for example:-

Shingi - Akito
Rei - Ruri
Asuka - Ryoko

See if you can ID the rest (a fun competition with friends Razz)

JBV^_^
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
It's main one is Eva. In fact, if you can get hold of Eva Vs Nadesico, you 'll see the starting credits of both series are nearly identical. (Can't give you a link, because I've lost it - Sorry)

If my memory is not faulty (which it might be) the beginning of Dual! is a spoof of EVA, which makes sense since Dual! definately copies EVA's mecha design.

JackBassV wrote:

All the characters seem to be based on Eva too. Just for example:-

Shingi - Akito
Rei - Ruri
Asuka - Ryoko

Not really, Ryoko is not anywhere near as b****y as Asuka and Ruri, while being somewhat like Rei, does have a personality. These character types are the same types we see in basically every mecha show for the past 20 years.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
yeah, pretty much every mecha anime made (up to that point) influenced Nadesico.
though it isn't exactly influenced, because the creators of Nadesico intentionally made it a spoof of all mecha anime

I love Nadesico, its one of my favourites
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
Well the SCi-Fi-UK channel TX'ed EVA, followed by Nedesico and it was uncanny how much they were similar, except where EVA was all serious drama, The other seemed to take the piss out of it with the same sort of plot situation. I loved it.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well the SCi-Fi-UK channel TX'ed EVA, followed by Nedesico and it was uncanny how much they were similar, except where EVA was all serious drama, The other seemed to take the piss out of it with the same sort of plot situation. I loved it.

I don't get that. In what way are the plot's of the two shows similar? They both have mecha, which don't look anything like each other, other than that what are the similarities? One is set in space and involves a human war. The other takes place on Earth involving cosmic struggle between angelic powers.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:

It's main one is Eva. In fact, if you can get hold of Eva Vs Nadesico, you 'll see the starting credits of both series are nearly identical. (Can't give you a link, because I've lost it - Sorry).

Ehh.. yeah.. Eva vs Nadesico was done by a fan. (in other words, cut footage to resemble Eva OP)

That should be fairly obvious to anyone who has seen the series.

Anywayz, it looks a bit like this...

Nadesico spoofs Eva, Gundam, Macross, and pretty much every other mecha anime made before it, while also throwing a serious plot into the mix.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I don't get that. In what way are the plot's of the two shows similar? They both have mecha, which don't look anything like each other, other than that what are the similarities? One is set in space and involves a human war. The other takes place on Earth involving cosmic struggle between angelic powers.
Well when I mean similar I mean in tone and inter action between characters,not in exact frame for frame. If one plays each, episode number to episode number back to back it will become apparant, believe me. Wink
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I just borrowed the complete DVD set from my friend, and am really liking this show. Not quite sure how I missed out on a classic like this for so long. The whole Gekiganger 3 thing is HILARIOUS! NOOO KEN!
Although it's only my 2nd experience with Xebec shows (Dai Gard being the first), they seem to be the kings of light-hearted Mecha-action. I just started to download the Fafner subs, so hopefully, that show is just as good.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
i can't believe they took gai daigoji out so early in the show! what were they thinking, he was the funniest!
Nionel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, Gai was awesome, but that's not the point here...

Anyway, as far as character designs, mecha designs, ect. for Gekiganger III is concerned, they mostly spoofed on Great Mazinger and I didn't actually notice this until I saw a trailer for Mazin Kaiser (updated version of Great Mazinger released in 2001) and noticed how similar the characters looked, and reading the plot summary just made it even more obvious, especially if you remeber what happened while Minato was watching the final episode of Gekiganger near the end of the series[/url]
owen_c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Gekiganger III was mostly inspired by Getter Robo, from the creator of Mazinger. This had the same structure of 3 smaller robots which combined into a large robot. Also the name similarities.

I shouldn't know this.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
wasn't there an actually Geckigengar series made after Nadesico came out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
wasn't there an actually Geckigengar series made after Nadesico came out?

It was actually more of a one-shot OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
There's a Gekigangar OVA. It's best suited for old-school mecha anime fans. Others probably won't find it all that appealing. Kind of like being on the outside of an inside joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2