• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robotech anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote
I was watching Robotech: The Masters, and i thought (as i usually do) what the japanese voices and english subtitles are like. I soon figured out the DVD contained no japanese dubbing and no subs. The DVD wasn't bad quality or anything i just got it from my local video store and every other anime I've seen on DVD had japanese and english dubs on it. Robotech doesn't seem like the everyday japanese anime anyways so I was wondering if it was an original japanese anime like trailers of it say it is.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
I was watching Robotech: The Masters, and i thought (as i usually do) what the japanese voices and english subtitles are like. I soon figured out the DVD contained no japanese dubbing and no subs. The DVD wasn't bad quality or anything i just got it from my local video store and every other anime I've seen on DVD had japanese and english dubs on it. Robotech doesn't seem like the everyday japanese anime anyways so I was wondering if it was an original japanese anime like trailers of it say it is.

Here is what Robotech is-

Originally, A US company named Harmony Gold intended to purchase and sell the Macross line from Big West or whoever. They tried to put the Macross TV series onto US TV, however they were short when it came to the ammount of episodes (Macross was only 36 half hour episodes). So they went and aquired rights to two other series Genesis Climber Mosepedea, and Mosepedea, two shows produced by the same studio as Macross, but storywise completely unrelated

Harmony Gold, along with Carl Macek, altered the series for more US appeal, and reworked the various stories so that each different show would follow into each other. This became "Robotech", an 85 episode English only series. Harmony Gold tried to extend the series, so they commissioned Robotech II: The Sentinals. As you can tell, it gets about three episodes-worth into the story, and stops. Apparently, due to financial reasons they could not continue production, so it was cut short and never aired on American TV.

You can find the Japanese versions of these series on DVD in the states, though the Animeigo sublicense for Macross has expired. You live in Australia, so you can pick up each 3 remastered series in three 5-6 disc boxsets at any local JB hifi and what not.

Harmony Gold also tried to make a Robotech film, using parts of Southern Cross, and both old and newly animated footage of the OAV Megazone 23. This failed, and has a single VHS release in the UK. It's said to be fairly terrible.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

So they went and aquired rights to two other series Genesis Climber Mosepedea, and Mosepedea, two shows produced by the same studio as Macross, but storywise completely unrelated

I think you meant for one of these Mosepedeas to be Southern Cross.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Megazone 23 is out on DVD here in the US.

Robotech does combine Macross, Southern Cross and Mospedea. Harmony Gold combined these three because FCC rules state that shows on network TV have to be a minimum of 52 episodes so that if it repeats you have enough episodes to show without having a repeat in a long time.

Harmony Gold never had the intention of trying to air the individual shows on TV. It sublicensed these to ADV (Mospedea and Southern Cross) and AnimEigo (Macross) to sell the VHS/DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ADV has said in the past that if they ever have enough money they will buy out Harmeny Gold.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Harmony Gold combined these three because FCC rules state that shows on network TV have to be a minimum of 52 episodes so that if it repeats you have enough episodes to show without having a repeat in a long time.

That's not true at all. There are no regulations whatsoever on how many episodes a show has to have.

Industry standards are 13 for weekly(aka Sat morning) cartoons and 65 for 5day/week for a first season.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I took a class to get my FCC General Radiotelephone Operator's License. Thats how come I said what I said.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1