• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most original manga in the last 5 years?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaiza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:28 am Reply with quote
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Being someone who doesn't read many different titles, (berserk,vagabond) I wanted some insights on what you readers think. I want to get an idea so I can read new things and old ones I missed. I hear death note, and blade of the immortal are good.

ARIGATO
JustinSane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
I am yet to read both of these but from what I hear and have watched of the anime Monster (only monster has an anime currently out in Japan now) and 20th Century Boy which are both by Naoki Urasawa seem to be some of the best stories in current day manga. I mean if they were licensed and on shelves in US bookstores I could be telling you for a fact that they are incredible. Well, it is rumored that viz has the licensing rights to Monster but I don't think that was ever confirmed but hopefully they both will be out soon unless Viz or another company is holding out on us.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
Compared with Japan, the American manga market is really lacking in innovative and original products, especially since our market is limited in genres. As for the two mangas you mentioned, both are original to a degree. Death Note has an original concept, especially compared to the rest od today's shonen genre. Blade of the Immortal is also pretty original in terms of how it's presented, though it's over ten years old.
As for the most original mangas that I've read, I would recommend anything by Iou Kuroda. His works are full of innovation and originality, and remind me alot of American alternative comics. His art style is simply amazing. "Sexy Voice and Robo" and "Nasu" are two things by him that I would recommend, and "Japan Tengu Party Illustrated" is supposed to be amazing.
Taiyo Matsumoto's works are overflowing with originality, and his newest one, "No.5", is perhapse the most innovative yet. Filled with oddities and crazy ideas, it's definitally not your standard manga. Any of his other works (particuarly Black and White) are highly recommended as well.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:10 am Reply with quote
I really liked flcl. It has a good (though strange) story, it has a spectrum of emotion and I just really liked the odd, sketchy style. Besides that, its only 2 volumes so you can buy it and not have to wait for years to see how it ends.
Taruto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Personally I think Pita-Ten's a pretty original Shoujo manga, especially since the storyline behind the cutesy opening is completely different from what you'd ever imagine.

It's one of very few manga series I've been dying for the next volumes to be released for, and that I've not been able to stop reading @__@;;
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Taruto wrote:
Personally I think Pita-Ten's a pretty original Shoujo manga, especially since the storyline behind the cutesy opening is completely different from what you'd ever imagine.

It's one of very few manga series I've been dying for the next volumes to be released for, and that I've not been able to stop reading @__@;;

Get ready for a ride, because Pita-Ten gets DARK fast past Vol. 5. You would have never figured this starting out. I love this series.
Taruto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Taruto wrote:

Get ready for a ride, because Pita-Ten gets DARK fast past Vol. 5. You would have never figured this starting out. I love this series.

I know Wink I just wish it had've been like that in the series. spoiler[They completely changed it nearing the end and missed out the entire "Kotarou and Kotaroh" storyline, or at least, I'm sure they have.]
I've seen up to episode 21 or so and there's still no introduction to any of that storyline, and when the series is only 26 episodes, I doubt they'll be able to cram it in a few episodes AND the ending. ~_~
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
I think Gon is one of the most original title I've read (or view) in a while.
Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck what do you mean it gets DARK? Taruto what is it that they missed in the anime? The curiosity is overpowering since I've seen the anime but haven't read the manga, I'd love to know. Anime cry
Taruto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Osaka wrote:
Taruto what is it that they missed in the anime? The curiosity is overpowering since I've seen the anime but haven't read the manga, I'd love to know. Anime cry

Well, putting it simply, spoiler[nearing the end of the manga (volumes 5-7) the manga gets kinda depressing, bringing up a load of history of the Higuchi family and such concerning Shia, "Taro" and a kid called "Kotaroh" who could see Angels. It's kinda hard to explain it, but of what I know, none of it was in the series in any great amount of detail, if any. If you're really interested in the differences between the series and the manga though, you could probably look it up online.]

It's probably best if you think of buying it or borrowing it from somewhere, since it is really different and highly unexpected. It really takes a turn on the silly beginning to the story with all the hyper giddyness and such. I can't wait for the last volume~ ;__;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1