• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for a good Anime Movie (OVA)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADavalosJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I want something in english audio and it to have action with mostly guns. And girls to be the hero(es)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like the ROD (Read or Die) OVA might be exactly what you're looking for. It's basically a cross between your typical James Bond movie and superhero comic, with two female agents as the leads. I think it was admittedly geared more towards the guys *cough*Ms. Deep*cough* so I don't belong to the target audience, but the animation was very good, the action amusing and sometimes exciting, the superpowers inventive, and though I ultimately wouldn't actually buy it myself I'm glad I got it under my belt. Not a bad way to kill two hours.

As a final note, I would warn anyone still traumatized by 9/11 to be aware that one brief scene does take place at the WTC.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Try Noir, although, I found it to be a bit boring in the beginning, but it picks up around the middle and builds up better towards the end. I didn't watch it in English, but a friend of mine who has the DVDs said a recurring problem in it for him was that he had a hard time hearing them speak. I don't know if it's just the dub or the Dolby Digital 5.1 detracting from the vocals, but I thought I'd let you know beforehand.

Chrno Crusade looks OK, but I've only seen the first volume. It's a supernatural themed show with nuns, guns, and a demon sidekick. The first four episodes were both fun and good for action, but other than that, I can't really say much else since I've seen so little of it.

And though I haven't seen them, try Bakuretsu Tenshi and Gunslinger Girl, which are due out this year from FUNimation.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Kiddy Grade is one you might like. Although it is more sci-fi themed there is some gun action. The first eps will make you think it's just a normal good guys go after the bad guys type of show, but halfway into it, everything gets twisted around in all directions, and you no longer know who is good or bad.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Geez, ADavalosJR asked for movie or OVA. Noir, Chrno Crusade, BakuTen, Gunslinger Girl and Kiddy Grade are all TV series, and Yomiko Readman doesn't use firearms. Rolling Eyes

The original Ghost in the Shell fits your taste perfectly. It's special edition has just been released five days ago. Battle Angel (Gunnm) is another great story with a girl as the protagonist, but personally I don't like the anime adaptation, and it's not easy to find a copy nowadays. Its manga was a masterpiece. Another possible choice is Iria - Zeiram the Animation, although I haven't had a chance to watch it.

If you don't find hentai irritating, try Kite and Mezzo Forte (both from the same creator).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
No one ever remembers Armitage III. Its a great classic just like GitS. Android female against the rest of humanity. There is the original OVA (4 episodes IIRC), and the somewhat newer release of Dual Matrix.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Geez, ADavalosJR asked for movie or OVA. Noir, Chrno Crusade, BakuTen, Gunslinger Girl and Kiddy Grade are all TV series, and Yomiko Readman doesn't use firearms. Rolling Eyes

Anime smallmouth... I just now realized that. Sorry. But why limit yourself to a movie or OAV? A TV series has so much more room for actual character and/or plot development. Sure, it would probably cost more, but could the chance of more enjoyment lie in the balance perhaps? Shocked

I'm not making a good argument, am I?.. -_-;;
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Like Tony K. says, why limit yourself. Besides, it's not like all movies/ova kick all tv series a**. Besides, I was mostly asleep when I posted that Laughing
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like Chrono Crusade. Gun toting nuns *mouth waters*
Gunsmith Cats has a lot of guns too, obviously. Haven't seen it though. Have read some manga, completely out of order...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Another possible choice is Iria - Zeiram the Animation, although I haven't had a chance to watch it.

Ooh, good call, dormcat. Iria's a wonderful OVA that has everything you're asking for. Also, (this is really quite dated animation, but other than that it has everything you want) the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA has lots of action, mecha, guns, and hot girls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Royal78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ADavalosJR wrote:
I want something in english audio and it to have action with mostly guns. And girls to be the hero(es)

Slayers/try/again/movie , dirty pair flash/original, and bubblegum crisis2040
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
why limit yourself

Ah, if the recommendation list could have TV series included, then the list would be much longer (and easier). I do believe a good TV series can have the story fully developed, with hidden plot and chatacter development, where a 2-hour movie or OVA can not.

For teamed up girls with guns and actions, in addition to Noir and Kiddy Grade, there are Madlax (by the same team of Noir, even with the same voice actress, Houko Kuwashima, for the protagonist) and Najica Blitz Tactics.

Mezzo, the non-hentai TV sequel of Mezzo Forte, belongs to this genre as well, but from what I've heard the quality is nowhere as good as Mezzo Forte.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
why limit yourself

Ah, if the recommendation list could have TV series included, then the list would be much longer (and easier). I do believe a good TV series can have the story fully developed, with hidden plot and chatacter development, where a 2-hour movie or OVA can not.

Mezzo[/url], the non-hentai TV sequel of Mezzo Forte, belongs to this genre as well, but from what I've heard the quality is nowhere as good as Mezzo Forte.

Unfortunetley such is the case,especially since the second volume leaves much to be desired.
Lazuright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'd suggest Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. It's got guns, nukes, explosions, knife's and pointy sticks! It's really a great anime!
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Lazuright wrote:
I'd suggest Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. It's got guns, nukes, explosions, knife's and pointy sticks! It's really a great anime!

Yeah, but... the main protagonist of Cowboy Bebop is Spike, which is a guy. ADavalosJR was looking for movies/OVAs with heroines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1