• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Excel Saga worth buying?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
is excel saga any good, I've been anxious to watch i for a while, it looks very good but i want some opinions from those who have actually seen it
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga's Encyclopedia entry. It includes ANN user ratings.
tvgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Hell ya its worth the money I just bought it and am almost done with the series but its one of the most random, spontaneos, and funniest series ever. Half the time you watch the plot less wonder you damn those guys are on something. Though i thought the last episode was one of the greatest if you dont like nudity or suggestive content i would suggest skipping the last episode its not as extreme as most make it out but its still pretty damn extreme.
Appaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
Well, I throughly enjoyed it, but didn't find it worth buying. Fortunitely, a friend of mine did and I borrowed it all from her. ^_~ It depends on how much you like off the wall and sometimes not-so-kid friendly stuff. If it doesn't sound worth buying, it's popular enough that I'm sure you'll find a good place to rent it.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
I agree with Appaku, its interesting to watch, but if I was going to spend money on it, I'd probably go with the manga version.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
Oh heck YES it's worth buying, especially when you know anime fairly well, since it spoofs just about everything cliche in anime and manga under the sun. Nothing is too sacred for Excel Saga to spoof. I had to watch it in stages so I wouldn't burn out my capacity to be humored, because I found it so funny that after a few eps I'd start to feel burned out because I had laughed so hard.
Yunamaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
Of course it is! It is sooooooooooooooooo awesome. It is the funniest anime I have ever seen in anyone lives!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry, the anime is just plain dumb unless you think it's funny when someone get run over by a car...

I have to disagree with everyone and I know there's a lot of fanboys for this series, just like Love hina or Azumanga. After watching so many anime, Excel Saga's humor didn't do it for me, seem kind of repetitve. Even though it's a paradoy and some of it was well done, most were very idiotic. I have this feeling that that the writer were trying too hard to make it the anime funny (it's just not natural). I guess if you're into random idiocy, than Excel Saga is good fun. And if you have a crazy, hyper "off the wall" sense of humor (especially those "types" of girls) than you will enjoy this. For me though, it's outrageously stupid.

What I do like, and what you offend wont' hear people recommend is Dokkoida. Yea I know, people are going Dokkoida what? The character are actually likeable. It's one of those sleeper hit that nobody knows about yet. This is a rare gem among all the "supposely" comedy show. It's hard to describe it, but one thing's for sure, it's soo "japanese" to it's quirkiness to it's parody of ultraman. But that's just my opinion, I prefer my comedy with some sense of quirkiness and cleverness with a touch of crude homor.

It's best if you rent Excel Saga first and see if you like it.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Sorry, the anime is just plain dumb unless you think it's funny when someone get run over by a car...

You're not much of a fan of slap-stick comedy, are you? because when done well, someone getting run over by a car is pretty darn funny.

One of my FAVORITE scenes from Excel Saga is spoiler[during the menchi episode where the kids are chasing Menchi, and then they start picking on the puchuu and it turns ugly when they toss a big rock on it and it yells out "DIVINE JUDGEMENT" and drops a massive boulder on them.]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I have to disagree with everyone and I know there's a lot of fanboys for this series, just like Love hina or Azumanga. After watching so many anime, Excel Saga's humor didn't do it for me, seem kind of repetitve. Even though it's a paradoy and some of it was well done, most were very idiotic. I have this feeling that that the writer were trying too hard to make it the anime funny (it's just not natural). I guess if you're into random idiocy, than Excel Saga is good fun. And if you have a crazy, hyper "off the wall" sense of humor (especially those "types" of girls) than you will enjoy this. For me though, it's outrageously stupid.

"Outrageously stupid" and "random idiocy" was kinda the whole point, I thought. Few comedy series have done both so well.

I also have to disagree with it being repetitive. The series goes out of its way to be different and fresh, with each episode having a specific theme (although I will admit that some worked better than others).

Although I wouldn't consider myself an Excel Saga "fanboy", I do highly recommend the series for anyone who's a dedicated anime fan and/or student of Japanese culture. Probably not a good series for anime newbies, though, since they'd miss a fair number of the jokes. It's also worth buying because the DVDs include some of the best sets of extras you'll see on any anime DVDs, especially the "pop-up" notes features.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Royal78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, i do like that kind of anime, the kind of off-the-wall random plot entries and mouth dropping confusion that comes with it, kind of like FLCL or even love hina, im definately going to try and buy it at suncoast as soon as i get some money, thanks guys
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Royal78 wrote:
Awesome, i do like that kind of anime, the kind of off-the-wall random plot entries and mouth dropping confusion that comes with it, kind of like FLCL or even love hina, im definately going to try and buy it at suncoast as soon as i get some money, thanks guys

Don't get it at suncoast. They sell it at MSRP. It's available at Best Buy for $60, and I'm sure that deepdiscountDVD.com has it for even less than that.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I know there's a lot of fanboys for this series, just like Love hina or Azumanga.

It's best if you rent Excel Saga first and see if you like it.

Darkhunter hates my favourite comedies Razz

Excel is superb, BUT only if you like a series where nothing is sacred. The number of anime that is pokes fun of is huge (The Fist of the North Star episodes are brilliant).

Of course, it helps if you know the various anime, though the Additional Video info you can select helps.

It's also one of the few series I cannot keep up with when subtitled (My japanese isn't that good, yet).

When you get it, enjoy.

WARNING: Watching Excel saga in a single session will cause your brain to melt!

lol
JBV^_^
Benizuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I think its worth having, of course, depending on how much for...

It's hilarious, and gets better after actually watching it. I still find it funny when something happens to me I don't really like to yell "Noooooo!" like Pedro.

spoiler["Why does Benizuka suffer?!"] Laughing

And don't plan on watching it all at once. It's best in one or two episode viewing sessions(your brain WILL melt, as someone mentioned). That, I believe, is another plus for owning the whole series, since you can only watch it episode at a time, it prolongs the freshness. (and none of the funniness)
Royal78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
hmm, well i cant really order stuff online yet (parents are skeptic), so ill pay a visit to best buy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2