• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which one should I buy, Gravitation or Weiss Kreuz?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi, it's me again! Okay, I'm going to take a few people's advice and try to expand on my anime viewing. I've just been clicking on various animes in the Encyclopedia and two seem to be of interest to me: Gravitation and Weiss Kreuz.

Now, there wasn't too much information, but it's just so not to give away anything about the animes, so I was wondering, in terms of characters and plot, which one would be worth watching more? And please give some reasons why, thanks! Wink
Appaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
There's a few major difference sto note between these two to decide for yourself with would be better for you.
Chibi sillyness or just dumb situations to get humor out of?
Angst: Still staying cheerful because they're always there to help eachother out, or loads and loads of super-angst?
Well, here's the decided factor: Blatant shounen-ai, or yaoi suggestions?
If you picked "A" for 2 or 3 of these, get Gravitation. If "B", then Weiss Kreuz.
I myself prefer Weiss Kreuz, but that's mostly because I prefer guys killing eachother rather than singing together. ^_~
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote
i personally liked gravitiation more then Weiss. the best way I can decribe them without giving out deteils is Gravitation is like an evening sitcom (silly, humor, and alittle drama) and Weiss like a daytime soap opera (lots of "plot twists," alittle over the top with most of them)...
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both but Gravitation definitely had a better hook in me. I thought the plot was more well thought out then Weiss. Of course I do enjoy the shounen ai genre as well but it isn't often that you fine a show with such a good look at the music world. Of course I'd have to say if you want to watch a show with a bitchin sound track Gravi is a must.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
These two titles are both fangirl classics, what with the angst and bishonen all over the place Very Happy . They are quite different though, so I guess it all comes down to, as Appaku said, how you prefer your bishounen: with potent angst, or angsty with a little bit of sugar.

[I apologize for my long windedness but I didn't realize I'd write this much Anime smile + sweatdrop . I didn't go into specifics so it shouldn't be spoilery.]

Weiss Kreuz is a lot darker than Gravitation in a lot of ways. Visually the colors are muted, the stories are meant to be very dramatic (but because of presentation , can often be unintentionally funny), and the main characters have all had intense trauma at some point in their pasts. The story is about four "florists by day assassins by night" who carry out missions to assassinate people who have committed tremendous evils against society. Sometimes these missions will be very personal and the boys have to resolve their feelings with their sense of duty, resulting in loads of super angst. Its not blood and guts by any means but, because it is about assassins, there is quite a bit of killing going on so be prepared for that.

In terms of characters this show has a bit of a boy-band feel, but not in a bad way Anime smile + sweatdrop . Aya's the cool moody leader; Yoji's the ladies man; Ken is the sporty boy-next door; and Omi's the cute, slightly annoying, young one. All four of the main characters are interesting in their own way and are fleshed out throughout the course of the show; each having several episodes in which their character is the focus. Weiss definitely isn't for everyone, but I found the show to be very enjoyable, despite the melodrama and at times, horrific animation.

Gravitation is a boy's love story centering around Shuichi, who is a young man trying to become a famous songwriter singer with his band 'Bad Luck', and Yuki who is a romance novelist with a dark past. The story focuses primarily on our two heros and how their love evolves and grows in the public eye; but there are secondary characters that are of interest, moreso than in Weiss, including rival bands and crazy but caring friends and managers. I found the romance in Gravitation to be very well done, silly and cute at times to painful and poignant at others. It isn't an 'instant love' kind of story which is why its so good. The animation is very nice and the colors are brighter and more vivd than Weiss (which is an older show).

Gravitation also has quite a bit of humor in it. Shuichi is often in chibi-form (particularly around Yuki= super cute!); in a strange costume; or even in drag. The manager of bad luck is K, a gun-toting American who is a bit insane and has a penchant for non-chalantly shooting at people. Shuichi's idol from the band Nittle Grasper (I forget his name, Ryuichi? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ) is also often in costume and carries around a little pink rabbit for security purposes. He acts as Shuichi's conscience in a way and is a good part of the show.
Eiri Yuki has to be one of yaoi/shounen-ai fandom's top five favorite leading men; and for good reason (you'll know when you see it Wink ) He is at the root of most of the drama in the show and was a very well executed character in my opinion. Well, to be fair all of the characters are well executed, but Yuki has quite a presence. He's actually a lot like Aya from Weiss in that his exterior is cold and aloof but when it concerns the ones he loves he shows his vulnerable side.

I could go on forever but I don't want to say too much ( if I already haven't) Anime smallmouth . As I said, both shows are really great and worth the investment. They both have interesting and attractive characters and engrossing plots, and in my opinion, great music. However, like most people, I'm sure you'll find the music in Gravitation to be less 'dated'. Its hard to recommend just one and you'll have to choose based on what you'd like to see, but if I had to, I'd say Gravitation. Its just so good. I think Weiss has to be your cup of tea, but Gravitation has more universal appeal.

If you want romantic comedy/drama with a lot of silliness balanced by real emotion, go with Gravitation. Its also relatively short at 13 episodes ( there is an OVA that will be released later this year) and the story feels complete when its done. It will leave you wanting more but without lots of questions. If you prefer old-school angsty drama (melodrama) with a lot of dark themes and a little intrigue go with Weiss. It has a 25 episode first season with a 13 episode second season (Weiss Kreuz Gluhen) and at least one OVA (unlicensed).
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd go for Weiss Kruex, beause it has more closure, and while I was watching Gravitation, I got sick of hearing the same pop music in every episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I think Gravitation, although I haven't seen or heard of the other one. I think it is one of those rare cases when I watch and enjoy shounen ai, but probably because of the pretty looking boys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sanzo_Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ohhhhhh Gravitaion is awsomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I watched it 2 times in a row LOL
I just Love itttttt , the story , the characters everything Smile
but it is drama , its not action like the other one
i think weib kroz uhhh i like to call it knight hunters is action (never seen it)
but Gravitation is drama and comedy ITS AMAZINGGGGG !!!!!
Seanb
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Sanzo_Girl wrote:
i think weib kroz uhhh i like to call it knight hunters is action (never seen it)

Next time, let's take some extra time and try to type replies in regular english, thanks.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gravitation is like about singing right?

And Knight Hunters *or whatever the name is*

is about... vigilantes I think

I haven't reall seen either, but they're pretty different off the bat

well, everyone else seems to have better answers, but this is a simple one...

take you pick... unless you haven't done that already Anime smile;
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Seanb wrote:
Sanzo_Girl wrote:

Next time, let's take some extra time and try to type replies in regular english, thanks.

Did you know that you replied to a post that was made about six months ago? Also, her last post was made one day after that, so I don't think she even comes here anymore.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Woah, Jesus, I hadn't even realized that Shocked
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1