• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fushigi Yugi box set

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazuright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
I hear people telling me how they love Fushigi Yugi. And now I want to buy it. But look at the thing! Both the box set’s (not including OVA set) are each at least $200! According to animebathhouse.com each only has 4 disc’s. And if a vol. Is only about $29.99 that should only come out to be at least $130-140.

I’d like to know why it’s so expensive and would it be cheaper to buy the vol.’s separately?
And also what do you think of Fushigi Yugi?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Try here, it don't come any cheaper than that unless it is bootleg.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Fushigi Yuugi is an Excellent series, in my opinion. I never really cared too much for shoujo titles prior to seeing X (TV), but that, this, and Kare Kano really opened me eyes a little more, and I like that genre a lot now.

As for FY itself, it's a pretty entertaining series with a lot of emotional elements. I've heard a lot of people call it a soap opera of sorts because of the amount of melodrama that's in it, which is understandable what with the main character being a girl and all of her bodygaurd companions being guys.

There are love triangles and fickle emotions galore, but at the same time, the whole magical and supernatural theme keeps it exciting, as well as sad or suspenseful from time to time. You may not like the main character because of her more than prominent indecisiveness, but she does have her moments where you totally forget her faults.

The animation was done by Studio Pierrot (who are also the people that did GTO and Naruto, just to name a few), the music is by Yusuke Honma (who, to me, is notorious for his excellent, excellent score in GTO), and the voice acting, well...

I watched the whole thing in Japanese, but sampled the dub from time to time. However, I grew so used to the Japanese voices in a matter of 3 episodes (of which I'm pretty familiar with a lot of their voices anyway), that I didn't really feel like listening to the dub and taking the time to adjust. Not that it seemed god awful to listen to, but I some of their voices just didn't have the same feeling. A loss of eloquence would be a better way to say it.

In any case, whatever your preference is, I'm willing to bet you'll at least like it a little in Japanese if you end up disliking the dub, initially.

Overall, though, I like the series a lot, and would recommend you try to get it.

Hm.. and it is pretty expensive, being a Pioneer product and all. There are lots of bootlegs on eBay, so don't buy those. I'll try to do a little research for the box sets and individual volumes and post them back up here when I have results.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lazuright wrote:
I hear people telling me how they love Fushigi Yugi. And now I want to buy it. But look at the thing! Both the box set’s (not including OVA set) are each at least $200! According to animebathhouse.com each only has 4 disc’s. And if a vol. Is only about $29.99 that should only come out to be at least $130-140.

I’d like to know why it’s so expensive and would it be cheaper to buy the vol.’s separately?
And also what do you think of Fushigi Yugi?

The DVD's are $19.96 for vol 1-3 and $18.59 for vol 4 and 5 on DeepDiscountDVD.com. There should also be 8 DVD's total for the 52 episode TV series (same count there was with the two boxsets that were $199 each - 4 DVD's per box)

The TV season boxsets on DeepDiscountDVD are $159.16, and $59.96 for the Oni boxset and $23.96 for the Eikoden boxset
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I caught a few eps of this when it was on Internation Channel back in the day, but never really got into it. Then my sister started collecting the Manga. I was bored one day, so I picked up the first volume for a quick read, and never looked back. As girly as it is, it's addictive as all heck.
I talked to the guy who runs the Anime store by my house, and he said the old box sets are mad spendy, but they're re-releasing it on DVDs w/8 eps per disc. This way, if you buy the DVDs seperately when they're released, you'll only pay about $200 - the price of 1 season box set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1