• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saint Seiya

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, does anyone like Saint Seiya and the Knights of the Zodiac at all? I know it isn't right to judge a series according to whether I like them or not, so I would like anyone's opinion. I myself don't really like it, because of the artwork, mostly, and the story doesn't appeal to me at all. But that aside, I've noticed that the Saint Seiya DVDs are often cheaper, at under $10 as compared to the $20 or $30 for the more popular anime. Even with bootlegs, which are about $13-15 for an individual DVD, Saint Seiya goes for $4.

What makes this different from other not-so-popular series? It's art isn't the worst, but people might not like it. That aside, I don't really see HOW it is so umpopular. I may not like the story, but it seems unpopular in general. Why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't like Knights of the Zodiac either. I only read the first volume but I don't really plan to read any more unless I can get it at the library. The artwork is a bit old school so that's probably why people don't like it. After all those Dragonball years, I think everyone is sick of the type of story Kights of the Zodiac is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:56 am Reply with quote
This is an old title-1986-1989. I think it's 28 manga volumes & 114 anime eps plus a couple OVA's(or maybe an OVA & couple movies.) It was pretty popular in its day & in many other countries.
DO NOT judge it by Knights of the Zodiac which aired on CN. Heavily butchered & altered, plus way too chatty. Saint Seiya dvds from ADV have 5 eps & list at $20, so one can get them for $13 easily. They move out of the tourni opening fairly swiftly & get to the quest story of recovering the stolen golden armor & battling Shun's brother Ikki Phoenix which leads to the assault on Sanctuary & the evil Pope Ares. Baddies die-none of thins rushed ot the hospital stuff. The Knights, particularly Dragon, bleed buckets of blood. When I saw the ep where Ikki's headless body attacks his foe, tried to remember if we saw that on CN or not(I sure didn't remember it.) The dub which ran on CN played up Shun as not likeing to fight-that doesn't seem to be a problem in the manga. In fact, Ikki made the big sacrifice to go to the place Shun was to go to, yet Andromeda Island, as revealed in a recent manga volume, was the 2nd worst place to go so Shun isn't exactly a lightweight.

I know the art isn't stupendous, but it's not a bad story. I know in a Toei interview, the comment was made that DB/Z revolutionized the shonen manga market which allegedly was known for its poor art. (could just be that guy's opinion.) Saint Seiya would have started about the same time as DB.

Not only do we get 5 eps per dvd, we gals get fan service. These knights are very clean. We get a nice slow pan up Shun in the shower, Misty rinsing off in the ocean, & Pope Ares in the bath(he really needs a haircut. We get several shots all blocked by his hair.) I understand this one had lots of gal fans & I can see why--Lots of bishonen Knights. Not to mention fangirl yaoi fantasies--these boys are close so yes, they fill the manly shonen bit, but there are enough loopholes to fuel those fantasies. Yes, Kiki sleeping in Dragon's bed is totally innocent, but not necessarily.
The anime cast is filled with DBZ regulars also(Japanese.)
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know in a Toei interview, the comment was made that DB/Z revolutionized the shonen manga market which allegedly was known for its poor art. (could just be that guy's opinion.)

I know that many people dislike DBZ because of the art, but it isn't too bad. I happen to think that it's really good and flows nicely.

I've only read the Saint Seiya manga in the little preview in SJ. I didn't really like the art; it does seem like an old style, but I think I may like the anime.

But WHY is it unpopular? Someone has to like the story, like CCSYueh, and it's not exactly possible for everyone to dislike this title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mpchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya is not popular, but only here in the States. Its still going strong in asian countries through all these years, and not to menton the recent boom in Japan with the new movie & Bandai Japan's popular Myth Cloth toyline.

The Knights of Zodiac we get here is the butchered version of a pretty old TV show that is well known to have very inconsistant art. With no pretty OVAs, no recent Hades Chapter OVA, no cool looking Seiya movies, I wouldn't expect much appeal for today's kids, when you have abundant new good TV shows around. People like me just buy the DVDs for nostalgic reasons. Manga is very old school as well, and I can say its THE ugliest looking manga I collected. The artist is very creative, but his draftsmenship is limited somewhat. Very flat and odd proportion with bad perspective. Some character faces in certain panels are just jacked up. Very Happy But his design on many of the cloths are awesome though, especially the Golds & the Serpries, and he got significantly better in later volumes.

But for people who grew up with Saint Seiya back then, there are plenty of reasons to like this series. Almost no guys in Japan & HongKong around my age doesn't know about Saint Seiya, and most of them liked it at some point of their lives if not still does. And man, those Bandai Japanese toys....drool Shocked
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It's just the age, I believe. At this point there's just too much "hot new stuff" being brought over to the States, it's hard for the older titles being brought over to catch the eye of younger fans. Why watch/read Saint Seiya when there's One Piece, Shaman King, Gundam Seed, etc.? The art is lacking, although the story is good. Most kids here, faced with a limited budget, choosing between Kenshin, One Piece, Naruto, Saint Seiya & the rest of Viz's shonen line alone will likely go for the titles all their friends are talking about. I don't see them picking up Saint Seiya, particularly when Viz went with the title of the horribly butchered version which aired on CN. (I couldn't figure out why a show about heroes would open with a song about running away. Would it have killed them to give us an English version of Pegasus Fantasy if it had to be in English?)

Times change. Seiya was supposed to be very big in it's day, but there's so much more out in the last 20 yrs, it would be amazing for it to be as big here as it was there then. A-Team was a popular show in the '80's still available on cable, but I don't see too many people talking about it now. So many other '80's fads had their time-Dirth Dancing, etc. Let's not forget disco in the 70's. Seiya came out of the '80's in JApan & seems to continue to be popular among those who have had the continued exposure to it as witnessed by the various movies & ova's, but it just didn't make it here. Maybe if they brought one of the more recent works over, interest in the anime could spark interest in the manga, but at the rate ADV's going, I'm not sure we're even going to get all 114 eps of the tv show. They seem to be moving cautiously-keeping the option of dropping the title--we didn't get a box option on the last dvd which should have been the start of a new set.

I checked the local import shop which always has lots of Seiya plastic figures(including some for $50). The clerk commented that Seiya isn't a big seller, but it's steady with Mexicans so they stock the figures for that clientel.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Saint Saiya is popular with mi raza (my race)because it was a top anime in Mexico, after Dragonball, and the reason its has a weak fanbase in da u.s. is because of its poor dialoge, and old school art. For guys like us, we tend to like newer animes and mangas, but S.S. is the only old school anime i still like (except for Dragonball). But as I say, to each their own, and LONG LIVE SAINT SEIYA!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
I think Seiya's problem is anime hit so late in the US. It seems like anime was more popular in Mexico before it was popular here, so now anime is popular here, there are tons of hit new titles that look much better, makingf Seiya seem more dated.
I love Seiya. I pre-order the dvds almost as soon as Right Stuf puts them up & keep praying ADV will put out all 114 eps-I'm willing to buy 23 dvds. OK, I want all the movies, OVAs, whatever.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE SAINT SEIYA

I've seen every episode so far and all the movies

but you have to get into it more before judging it, cause it will get awesome!

my little brother who basically hates animes and mangas got into it, once he watched Saint Seiya the Hades saga, and man did that kick ass, lots of cliffhanger endings and great fights

but just rent the animes to see if you really like it or what not

but it does get better, espically later on in the first 75 episodes at the end of the santuray chapter, I love the ending fights and what happens afterwards when everything starts to unravel whats really going on!

but if you can't get into it at all even from the beginning, don't bother with the rest
hiragizawa_sai_accvn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
I my opinion, Saint Seiya is popular. I like it. Especially, The Hades chapter. I have just seen this anime, it doesn't bad ^^

I don't like Seiya(sorry Seiya's fan Razz). Hyoga and Shun are so cool ^^ Iam interested in Gold Saints.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1