• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
factualpuddle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
i just want to make one thing clear.....his name is not ALUCARD it is ARUCARD, I've seen lots of people sayin that it was alucard and i just put my dvd in and watched the credits and it Arucard, and its not dracula, it is Dracura<---spelled backwards(and thats also a famous vampire....i think) well TY for readin this post.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Alucard, Arucard...what is the difference? Well for one, the "l" and "r" sound pretty much the same. I'm pretty sure there is no "l" sound in the Japanese language, at least as far as I've heard, so Names that can be up for debate are Arucard, Arise, etc. where it would be very reasonable for the "L" to be there instead of the "R"
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
factualpuddle wrote:
i just want to make one thing clear.....his name is not ALUCARD it is ARUCARD, I've seen lots of people sayin that it was alucard and i just put my dvd in and watched the credits and it Arucard, and its not dracula, it is Dracura<---spelled backwards(and thats also a famous vampire....i think) well TY for readin this post.

It's only Arucard because of conventions in changing words from English to Japanese and vice versa. If a McDonald's appeared in an anime, then you'd probably also be arguing that it's not actually McDonald's, it's Makudonarudo. Whether you like it or not, it's Alucard.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the L and R when translated to English are quite frequently interchanged despite what the original sound was. The Japanese have no L or R, what they have is a kinda of combination of the two. Sometimes it comes out more like an L, other times it's more of an R.

Look in the case of Inu Yasha. In the original Japanese langauge, Kirara is clearly pronounced with R's, but in the English dub, they call her Kilala (one of the reasons the English dub of IY is not played in my house, only the sub is watched).

Either way you look at it, his name is Alucard (or Arucard depending on who translates it). Also depending on who you talk to, he is either supposed to be the son of Dracula (named Alucard) or Dracula himself with his name changed. The later is highly likely because of certain scenes in Hellsing itself interposing Alucard's picture with that of Vlad Tepes (the original Dracula) and the brief glimpses of impaled corpses (another of Vlad's hobbies).

More likely, the reason the credits list him as Arucard is due to copyright issues, afterall Konami USA holds the right to the name Alucard due to the Castlevania games. This actually happens rather frequently when copyrights are involved.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
and the brief glimpses of impaled corpses (another of Vlad's hobbies).

Ahhhhh... Vlad the Impaler. By far my most favourite of the greatest sadists who ever lived. He did everything from boiling babies alive and forcing their mothers to eat them to forcing the entire rather large aristocrat family of his enemies to work themselves to death building him a luxurious castle. He didn’t even give them new clothes so when their clothes was torn off due to wear and tear they had to work naked. That is of course not mentioning the impaling (a most horrible way to die) of thousands upon thousands of Turks, criminals and even his own citizens. Truly all the portrayals of the savagery of Dracula in movies and books cannot hold a candle to the real thing.
p8nt junky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
factualpuddle wrote:
i just want to make one thing clear.....his name is not ALUCARD it is ARUCARD.

Ask a japanese person to use the word Alucard in a sentance and he would flip you off. The reason it is Arucard - in my proffessional opinion - is because japanese can't say the whole L thing. Im sure they wanted to be traditional and use the names Alucard and Dracula BUT cultural linguistics just wont allow it man. Very Happy
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
p8nt junky wrote:
is because japanese can't say the whole L thing.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the "R" sound in Japanese can equally be considered "L" or "R," seeing as how it's really a combination of the two sounds. Properly (again, someone with a bit more fluency in the language—Cookie, perhaps?—correct me if I'm wrong), the actual sound is a half-trill of the tongue, which conveniently is what you should get when you try and combine the "L" & "R" sounds, and depending on the speaker and how they speak it, can sound more like one or the other (for example, my experiences with Megumi Hayashibara's music has most often had her pronouncing it closer to an "L" sound).

The reason it's often translated as a regular "R" sound though, I believe, has more to do with some sort of Romanisation standard for text than the actual sound being made. In this case though, since it's clear that the intent was "Dracula" spelled backwards, it should properly be "Alucard."

And for the sake of saying as much, the way they actually pronounced his name in the show was closer to "A-akaado." So really, in this instance the whole mess is sorta moot. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The "R" sound in Japanese may also sound more like an "R" or more like an "L" due to dialectal differences.
p8nt junky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'll have to tell my friend to bring this one up in his japanese class Laughing

Nagisa Wrote
Quote:
the actual sound is a half-trill of the tongue, which conveniently is what you should get when you try and combine the "L" & "R" sounds, and depending on the speaker and how they speak it, can sound more like one or the other

Im sure other things such as the chubbiness of ones cheeks, thickness of ones tounge and mucosal consistancy are also factors Razz
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
I also notice that the R/L sound sometimes has a strangely D like sound to it, though this seems to only come up at the very beginning of words.
ex. Ryousuke (Initial D), Ryoma (Shin Getter Robo)

Of course I could always just be hearing things. Though I think I read a Japanese/English dictionary that mentioned that.

I think Rolling Eyes .
p8nt junky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
factualpuddle wrote:
its not dracula, it is Dracura<---spelled backwards(and thats also a famous vampire....i think)

If you finished the hellsing series you'd now he was talking about Dracula because Alucard impales tha last guy he fights which obveously means they are refering to vlad the impaler who gave rise to the Dracula myth in later years.

On that note, have you read Bram Stoker?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:44 am Reply with quote
Funny, I thought we'd be talking about how Hellsing could've been one of the better "animes" out there if the ending didn't COMPLETELY SELL OUT, and leave tons of unexplained holes. But here I find a discussion on "r"s and "l"s.

Watch the scene in the Chinese restaurant in A Christmas Story and you have your answer on that.

As you can see, I have issues with the show.
p8nt junky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:53 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Watch the scene in the Chinese restaurant in A Christmas Story and you have your answer on that.

Wow someone actualy said it . . .
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
p8nt junky wrote:
Wow someone actualy said it . . .

I'm not sure how to take that. However, I vowed to become the advocate for the Devil in my writing/post this year. I'm being blunt but honest here.
p8nt junky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
No no, no complaints here. i was just shocked to see someone so bold with the high probability of a japanese person reading the post (we are on an anime forum after all)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4