• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation changes its DVD ratings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that particularly with Tenchi Muyo! GXP, FUNimation changes its DVD ratings from the typical age rating you see in anime to the TV rating scheme.

It was 13 Up for DVD's 1-6, and then on DVD 7 and 8, it changed to TV PG. I wonder why that is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
On your question, Kusanagi-sama, they just adopted the Television Rating System, which is regulated, instead of sticking with the "Suggested" Rating, which isn't regulated and could lead to more confusion for parents. The Suggested Ratings are labelled by the companies personally, which is why they look different from each other (although the u-turn arrow looks to be more professional).

(And, when it comes to changes, it's the personal rating of the individual DVD. For example, the first two Ghost In the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex were "13 Up", but the third is "16 Up" because of the serial killer episode most likely. (I, too, believe that spoiler[images of someone carving T-Shirts out of human skin is much, much more disturbing than the very brief nudity of the first two. Confused ] I don't think we will see that show air, personally.)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you are right, that episode/DVD would probably garner a 17+ rating, and it would probably air edited slightly on CN.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Very Happy I prefer the TV rating system because I think it is a better representation of the content in a show, while the suggested rating suffers from differences in which some companies rate their titles.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Sorry double-post...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1