• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2004: Best in the U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Others have taken a look at the best anime coming out in Japan in 2004, so I thought it might be fitting to take a look at the highlights (and lowlights) of anime titles released in the States in 2004, whether on TV, in theaters, and/or on DVD. (In the case of series spread over more than one year, only the episodes that premiered in 2004 are considered.)

These awards are based entirely on my own personal analysis and ratings. If you disagree, feel free to offer up your own alternate picks, but remember that I'm talking about anime officially released in the U.S. (not Japan) in 2004 and be sure to explain yourself!

Now onto the awards, which are all series-focused unless specified otherwise:

Best Overall: Last Exile
For the last few years GONZO has had a reputation for producing anime that is visually and stylistically brilliant but lacking in other areas. With this project they finally brought all of the elements together, resulting in a complete, well-rounded story with a fascinating setting, interesting characters, astonishing visuals, and no major flaws. Though there are other strong contenders for this title, no series released in the U.S. in 2004 offers a stronger overall package. This is GONZO’s magnum opus, and it’s a real treat.

Best Writing: Saikano
Also the winner for Best Drama and Best Romance, this tragic love story ranks among the best-written anime series ever. A serious, frank, and emotional look at the way two teenagers try to stay together despite the fact that one of them is an ultimate weapon, Saikano always remains focused on its characters and never pulls its punches in its powerful dramatizations of the way its characters live, love, and (especially) die. Uncomfortable to watch at times? Maybe. But you’ll never regret it or forget it.

Best Humor: Azumanga Daioh
Not everyone “gets” this series, in part, I think, because many of the jokes unfold at a more leisurely pace than most viewers are used to. For those that do, though, it is the most consistently funny series of the year.

Most Outrageous: Puni Puni Poemy
The series includes an elementary school student’s lesbian erotic fantasies, and that’s just for starters.

Prettiest Artistry: Ai Yori Aoshi-Enishi
Last Exile may have the best composite look, but based purely on aesthetics this second season of Ai Yori Aoshi edges it out. Now if only it had a story to match. . .

Best Overall Character/Costume Design: Twelve Kingdoms
Gorgeous character/creature designs and sumptuous costumes abound in this fantasy epic, which hits its peak artistic stride in volumes released in the U.S. in 2004.

Best Individual Character Design: Sanshi, Twelve Kingdoms[i] vol. 4 and 5.
Runner-up: Ran, [i]Texhnolyze

The best of the lot from Twelve Kingdoms is the nyokai Sanshi, who ranks as the most beautiful character of the year despite being an amalgam of woman and a few different animals. The runner-up pick stands out because it’s an excellent design which bucks the pervasive anime trend to make girls look excessively cute.

Wost Costume Design: Alv and Dvergr, Kiddy Grade
New Wave looks are apparently alive and kicking in the distant future. . .

Best Setting: The Twelve Kingdoms, Twelve Kingdoms
Although a carry-over from 2003, this fantasy series continues to offer up the richest, best-developed, and most interesting world of any anime series.

Most Graphic (Non-Hentai) Series: Texhnolyze
Sex, nudity, and lots and lots of blood, severed limbs, and mangled bodies. What more could you ask for? A great series, but definitely not for the kiddies.

Most Disturbing Episode: GITS: Stand Alone Complex episode 10.
If you can watch this episode without being bothered by the content then you’re probably psychotic. I can’t see how Cartoon Network is going to be able to broadcast it, even late at night.

Most Dramatic Death Scene: Saikano episode 9
Runners-up: Saikano episodes 5 and 10, Gunparade March Episode 5
Dramatic death scenes are a dime a dozen in anime, but ones that are truly convincing and affecting (both in execution and in the fallout afterwards) are a rarity. These four episodes offer the cream of the crop, each one representing a case where a prominent character suffers a tragic death which isn’t painless or heroic. Of them, the death scene for spoiler[Akemi ] in Saikano episode 9 is the strongest and the one most likely to bring the viewer to tears.

Best English Vocal Performances – Ensemble: Inuyasha
Yeah, a couple of the voices are of decidedly different styles than their Japanese counterparts, but they are no less effective. Not a single role – even the minor or recurring ones – is off the mark, and all are skillfully performed.

Best English Vocal Performance – Individual: Melissa Hutchinson as Chise, Saikano
Although there are weak points elsewhere in the English dub of Saikano, Ms. Hutchinson turns in a brilliant performance in the title role. The way she modulates her voice for the different aspects of Chise is quite effective, so much so that her switch from Normal Chise to Weapon Chise voice is truly chilling. In fact, I would rank this as one of the best English Dub performances from any year.

More to come. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I broke this up into two posts because it was getting rather long. Cool

Best English Version of a Song Originally Sung in Japanese: “Fate/Fake,” the opening theme to Kiddy Grade
Japanese songs often don’t translate well into English unless totally reworked, but this one manages to capture the meaning and style of the original without sounding awkward. It’s also a great song in its own right.

Best Openers : Fullmetal Alchemist, Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, Last Exile, GitS: Stand Alone Complex, Witch Hunter Robin
A truly good opener is one that has a great song, effectively sets the tone for the series, and is interesting enough that you want to watch it over and over again even if you can skip past it. 2004 saw such an unusually strong crop of quality openers that I had trouble picking just one as the best, so I’m copping out and choose the best six instead.

Best Closer: Saikano
This one wins primarily on the strength of the wonderful song “Sayanora” by Yuria Yato.

Best DVD Extra: Bonus episode “Miyuki” on vol. 1 of Ai Yori Aoshi-Enishi
NOTE: I have heard that the DVDs for Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi shared the “ADV Notes” extra first featured on the Excel Saga DVDs but I did not personally see those DVDs myself. If correct, then that extra deserves this award instead.
Although extras included with this series are otherwise limited, this sweet, charming 16-minute bonus episode featuring Kaoru’s encounter with an Aoi-lookalike Santa spirit during a Christmas prior to reuniting with Aoi is a real treat. It’s fully-dubbed and shares the impressive production values of the regular series, so it’s exactly like getting a free episode.

Weirdest DVD Feature: “English With Weird Subtitles” option on Puni Puni Poemy
Somebody actually took the time to subtitle both episodes of this OVA series completely in Pig Latin. No, really.

Biggest Anime-Related News: The Anime Network’s linear channel launches
Runner-up: Cartoon Network acquires Fullmetal Alchemist for broadcast
In July(?) of 2004 the ages-long dream of many an otaku finally became reality: a 24/7 all-anime linear feed cable channel. Yeah, it only broadcasts anime from one American distributor and only airs dubbed anime, but owner ADV Films is already looking at expanding it both ways. And damn it all, how cool is an all-anime, all-the-time channel?
The runner-up award goes to Cartoon Network for proving once again that it actually does listen to anime fans by acquiring the full run of the hottest new anime series in the fansub community and broadcasting it in its Saturday and Thursday night Adult Swim blocks.

Best Movie, Anthology, or Stand-Alone: Mamoru Oshii’s Memories
I’m going with this one because a) Tokyo Godfathers is technically a 2003 release (it came out in just enough theaters to qualify for Academy Award consideration) and b) I don’t want to give this award to GITS: Innocence. Why? Because that movie, while an artistic masterpiece, was so overburdened with philosophizing and excessive use of quotes that the plot and character development suffered for it. Memories, on the other hand, presents three great short stories with wildly varying artistic styles. Maybe it isn’t as pretty as Innocence, but I found it more entertaining.

Most Disappointing Title: Mahoromatic Summer Special
I was a big fan of the Mahoromatic TV series, so I was horribly disappointed with the shoddy quality of this episode-length production. It’s a bad sign when the extras are more worth watching than the main feature.

Best Series That Hasn’t Been Mentioned Previously: Kino’s Journey
If Saikano hadn’t come out this year than this series about a traveler and her talking motorcycle would’ve probably gotten my nod as best-written series of 2004. Series which can truly make you think are few and far between, and this one is quite good at that.

Biggest Damn Mecha Ever: Deucalion, Kiddy Grade
Appearing late in the series, it's the size of a planet. No kidding.

Coolest Super-Human Power: Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, Tsukihime
Maybe it isn’t the most outwardly potent ability, but being able to look at anything (or anyone) and see exactly where to cut to completely dissect the object/person in just a couple of strokes? That’s way, way cool.

”I Really Am Older Than I Look!” Award: Pretty nearly every major character in Kiddy Grade.
See the series and you’ll eventually understand.

And last but not least. . .

Best Quotes – English Dub:
(comical)
“We must protect our virginity for our country!” Ensemble, Virgin Fleet episode 1
(serious) "When I think about it, I should have noticed back then. . . On that day, when I held Chise in my arms, I didn't feel her heart beat." Shuji, Saikano episode 1.

Okay, so technically the first one came out in 2003, but how could I pass that one up? The second quote (which ends the first episode of the series), when taken in context, defines the entire rest of the series in one powerful sentence. Of the many memorable lines from that series, this one is perhaps the most important and the one that has stuck with me the most.

Well, I had fun doing this. Feel free to agree/disagree/post your own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
graywolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
well i see some one has been working hard but i agree with the turn outs.

thans for the list it was a good read that i needed in this late hour
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
Best extras?
Sorry-Wedding Peach box sets-the bonus interviews with the Japanese casts (Kazuki Yao explaining they were going to add initions to the second season of Wedding Peach-like Sailor Moon did-but settled for adding it to his character Pluie.) The one angel getting stuck between bldgs & another under a bridge due to their wedding dress skirts on the mecha angels.
Cast commentary. Particularly anything with Monica Rial-she's insane. And my daughter loves bloopers.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
Missing:

Best Action
Best dubbed

But in order to do a best of, you need to watch a lot of animes. Saikano seem to dominate, while Wolf's Rain, Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell (three of the greatest release of 2004) is no where to be mention.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Coolest Super-Human Power: Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, Tsukihime
Maybe it isn’t the most outwardly potent ability, but being able to look at anything (or anyone) and see exactly where to cut to completely dissect the object/person in just a couple of strokes? That’s way, way cool.

Yes, it's cool - but I have to present an opposing view, referring to Read or Die the OVA, which aired in the U.S.A. in 2004:

Coolest Super-Human Power: Paper Manipulation, Read or Die

(If Windy Tales had reached the U.S.A., I'd be mentioning wind manipulation as just as cool - but we'll leave that for next year's list...)

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Missing:

Best Action
Best dubbed

But in order to do a best of, you need to watch a lot of animes. Saikano seem to dominate, while Wolf's Rain, Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell (three of the greatest release of 2004) is no where to be mention.

I think it is a good list, even if it is limited. But I think, more importantly, that maybe ANN should have something like this on the front page or something. Maybe I have just read through Gamespot's 2004 awards that influenced this where they rated the best and worst of 2004, but I think seeing a 2004 achievement thing on ANN would be cool to read through.

How about...

Most awaited license- Naruto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Worst ending: GUNGRAVE
when you see the ending you will know why

Best comedy: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Paradies abound and contains a character who used the F word every three seconds.

Best new action show: Samurai Champloo
Samurai who break dance as they fight, nuff said...

Best entrance: Dragonball Z: Bojack Unbound
After all these years I finally found a scene to impress me again in DBZ. Trunks is getting attacked and out of nowhere his sword and sheath coming flying and then a rooftop explodes and Vegeta come flying through arms crossed and smiling.

Best thief show: Mouse
A teenage thief with three busty assistants, what more could man want.

Worst T.V. Mistake: Gundam Seed
They should have never aired it so cut up. You can't air a politically and emotionally charged show for a younger audience who would rather watch Dragonball GT.

Best T.V. Choice: Full Metal Alchemist
Getting some killer rating on adult swim, about what Inu-Yasha gets.

If i can think of anymore, I shall return[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Onmyoji wrote:
Best comedy: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Paradies abound and contains a character who used the F word every three seconds.

Repetitive jokes that lose their appeal about five episodes in, right around the time you actually want them to get to the plot. I'd give this to Azumanga Daioh before I ever came close to considering Abenobashi.

Onmyoji wrote:
Best new action show: Samurai Champloo
Samurai who break dance as they fight, nuff said...

Topic's about the best US releases of 2004...Champloo's due out in 2005.

Onmyoji wrote:
Best thief show: Mouse
A teenage thief with three busty assistants, what more could man want.

Plot? Decent characters?

Onmyoji wrote:
Worst T.V. Mistake: Gundam Seed
They should have never aired it so cut up. You can't air a politically and emotionally charged show for a younger audience who would rather watch Dragonball GT.

Oh come on, Gundam SEED wasn't that cut up. Hell, they allowed more in it than they seem to have done in the likes of Rurouni Kenshin & Yuu Yuu Hakusho. The only thing I'd personally take issue with is how they handled firearms, but that aside they did a respectable job. No worse than the editing in 0083 & 08th MS Team, now that I think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hym

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Best Movie, Anthology, or Stand-Alone: Mamoru Oshii’s Memories
I’m going with this one because a) Tokyo Godfathers is technically a 2003 release (it came out in just enough theaters to qualify for Academy Award consideration) and b) I don’t want to give this award to GITS: Innocence. Why? Because that movie, while an artistic masterpiece, was so overburdened with philosophizing and excessive use of quotes that the plot and character development suffered for it. Memories, on the other hand, presents three great short stories with wildly varying artistic styles. Maybe it isn’t as pretty as Innocence, but I found it more entertaining.

I'm not gonna argue about your taste although some of your opinions are poor but Memories wasn't done by Oshii neither was it released in 2004, check Encyclopedia.
owen_c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Someday I'll probably compile a list myself, but for now I should build on hym's correction:

Memories is from 1995, and Mamoru Oshii had no involvement in it whatsoever.

The directors are:

Magnetic Rose - Koji Morimoto (Animatrix: Beyond and many excellent Japan-only films). The screenplay is by Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent)

Stink Bomb - Tensai Okamura (Wolf's Rain)

Cannon Fodder - Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira)

Also a notable credit is Yoko Kanno who composed parts of the soundtrack.

Memories is a great anime which packs a lot of energy and drama. And it means something when someone who thinks it is from 2004 greatly applauds the visuals...they are far ahead of its time.

[EDIT: Apparently the US release of Memories is from 2004. It still isn't from Oshii though, and its age is worth mentioning.]
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hym, Owen: I believe people were talking about anime released in the US in 2004 :)... Memories was given a no-thrills low profile release. (though it has a nice interview segment where Morimoto talks about how he and Kon had to escape the gravatational pull of Otomo, and Okamura pretty much just says I did what Otomo told me to :P).

Quote:
I'm not gonna argue about your taste although some of your opinions are poor but Memories wasn't done by Oshii neither was it released in 2004, check Encyclopedia.

Its not like his quotes on Innocence were "It was boring" or "It didn't have boobs" at least he gave a reason behind his thoughts, and I think his criticism is perfectly valid, even though I'm sure you don't agree with him (and nor do I to a point).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
My bad on the Memories name thing; it should have been Katsuhiro Otomo's name attached to that one, not Oshii. (The one show I didn't double-check my facts on. . . )

And as was noted elsewhere, its first official release in the U.S. was in 2004, even though it was originally made in 1995.

I didn't do a separate category for Best Dubbed because I didn't think it was necessary given the other awards. I almost did do a separate one for Best Action Series, but it would have ended up being Last Exile again. (The race and aerial combat scenes were spectacular, weren't they?)

For the person who mentioned Wedding Peach, I considered doing a Gag Reflex Award for that one, but decided that might be a little rude. Cool I'll take a well-done bonus episode over cast interviews (which are commonplace) any day as a DVD extra, though.

And concerning Wolf's Rain: It was a solid series, but not a spectacular one in my book. I considered putting one or two of its death scenes up for the Dramatic Death Scene award, but Saikano was just too clearly superior in that category. Had I done a Most Original character Design award, it would have won for Cheza.

Thanks for the comments, guys 'n gals. I did put a lot of time into it, but discussions like this are why I read this forum.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:35 am Reply with quote
Worst Idea of 2004: Yu-Gi-Oh the Movie. Not even Najica's Panties would top this. Heck, I would want Najica's Panties than get the Yu-Gi-Oh DVD if I was the target demographic.

Worst Anime Magazine of 2004: Newtype USA. In the span of 5 months, the handlers at Newtype removed DVD's from the newstand edition and made it a "subscriber-only" option. Then, for reasons unknown, they introduce both the DVD and a price hike at the same time. If thats not the worst idea in Magazine History, I dunno what is.

Worst Overhyped Series: Gungrave. WTF happened to this? What a waste of a rental. Serves me right for renting this POS.

Questionable Theme Song: Rave Master. What the hell were you thinking Tokyopop? Quit using Dj Milky and keep him writing the drug-addled chronicles of a crack-whore. Two Turn Tables and a Microphone does not make you a DJ. Wearing skimpy cholthes and being female might make you one. (Continues to listen to his DJ Lady Tribe CD....)

Butchered Anime of 2004 (TIE): One Piece and Rave Master.

Either it was the most ridiculous concept for a Anime Character with the worst overbite known to man being aquired by one of the most reviled Anime Companies in America, or "Rave-A-Long."

The jury is still in ICU.

"I don't wanna hear it.....I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!!": The bitchin' over One Piece being aquired by 4Kids. It got butchered, live with it. A fitting tribute to one of the worst anime to come out of Japan.

Ultimate Rumor of 2004: Naruto being aquired by (insert company name here).

Yes, it could be aquired by 4Kids. Live with it or buy stock in 4Kids and see if you can get a majority stake in them and stop such travesty.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
Round 2.

Sexiest Female Character: Motoko Kusanagi, GITS:SAC. Something about that swimsuit with the biker jacket looks sexy (And not, it's not a "Fetish" Outfit Anime Insider!! You Bastards!!)

Sexiest Male Character:Amon, Witch Hunter Robin.

Yes, i'm straight, so shut up.

Interesting Plot: R.O.D. Read or Die.

spoiler[A book that is the crux of a song that kills people? And there is a British Library Special Forces that can get any Army within hours? ]

Most Interesting Plot Twist: Witch Hunter Robin, Redemption Day

spoiler[ORBO IS MADE FROM WITCHES, WITCHES!!]

Apologies to Charleton Heston for that.

Worst TV Mistake: The 40 Billionth rerun of Cowboy Bebop.

Gundam Seed has nothing on the constant irregularity of seeing spoiler[Spike dying for the 75th time. He's dead, live with it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3