• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
gundam anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'v been trying to find all the gundam anime series and movies and here is what I got so far

mobile suit gundam 0079
mobile suit gundam movie I,II, & III
mobile suit gundam the 08th ms team
mobile suit gundam the 08th ms team movie
mobile suit gundam 0080
mobile suit gundam 0083
mobile suit Z gundam
mobile suit ZZ gundam
chars counter attack
gundam F91
mobile suit victory gundam
gundam wing
gundam wing endless waltz
G gundam
gundam X
gundam seed
gundam seed destiny
turn A gundam

I would like to know if this list is complete or am I missing something. I've heard of a second 08th ms team movie & a turn A movie but can't seem to find anything about them. I also would like to know the order I should watch all these in. I'm about to finish gundam wing then see the movie, then I'm starting on seed since I've seen half the show on cartoon network already.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
Firstly, a humble request to ANN's staff: since this question is asked so much by people who refuse to actually go through old threads and look it up, perhaps one of these "how many Gundam and how should they be watched?" threads should be stickied? Answering the same question literally every other week-and-a-half gets kinda old...

cloud1989 wrote:
I would like to know if this list is complete or am I missing something.

It's pretty much correct,* but there are a few things I want to point out...

*I should note that there are several "lesser" Gundam anime, which are either special theatrical presentations or OVA shorts devised for marketing purposes. These would include the 0087: Green Divers IMAX feature, MS IGLOO shorts, SEED Astray promos, and Gundam Evolve. None of these are necessarily vital to understand Gundam, and really aren't worth mentioning any further...hence them being "lesser" anime in the Gundam canon. Not that they're bad (Evolve's downright impressive at times), but they're more or less mere bonus material.

cloud1989 wrote:
mobile suit gundam 0079
mobile suit gundam movie I,II, & III

mobile suit gundam the 08th ms team
mobile suit gundam the 08th ms team movie

I've heard of a second 08th ms team movie & a turn A movie but can't seem to find anything about them.

The movies mentioned here (Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy, 08th MS Team: Miller's Report, and the two Turn-A Gundam movies), as well as 0083: Last Blitz of Zeon, Gundam SEED Special Edition, and the upcoming Zeta Gundam trilogy, are actually compilations. They take the original TV or OVA series, and compress them into a shorter movie format (or mini-series format in SEED SE's case) for fans who don't feel like sitting through a longer, more drawn-out series. Sometimes they work (the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy is arguably better than the original series), sometimes they don't (Last Blitz of Zeon), and sometimes they feature extra scenes or even storylines to help flesh out the original story (Miller's Report & SEED SE).

Also, there is no second 08th MS Team movie.

cloud1989 wrote:
I also would like to know the order I should watch all these in.

Sigh...the big, hard-to-answer question.

Here's the thing with Gundam: not every Gundam anime is connected to one another. There are, as of this moment, six separate "alternate universes" that exist independent of each other, and that can be watched without having to see any other Gundam anime. Now most of these alternate universes consist of only one or two series; G Gundam is the only Gundam title set in the "Future Century" timeline, Wing & Endless Waltz are the only "After Colony," Gundam X is the only "After War," Turn-A is the only "Correct Century," and SEED & SEED Destiny are the only "Cosmic Era" (so far...). However, the original "Universal Century" timeline is much, much more expansive, with numerous sequels & largely-unrelated sidestories. Chronologically (with regard to the story's continuity), they flow something like this:

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

If you want to see everything in order, watching them in that succession is advised. However, you can skip a few and still be fine. 08th MS and 0080 have practically zero bearing on the story at large, and can be skipped over if you want. 0083, while tying the end of Mobile Suit Gundam & the beginning of Zeta Gundam together in terms of the politics involved, is also not exactly vital to grasping the concept of either series. Lastly, Double Zeta can be skipped, as it has no real bearing on Char's Counterattack (Zeta could be skipped too, really, though it is referenced in the movie fairly often...it's possible to skip, but really not advised at all).

Hope all that helped...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
that told me everything I need to know but I have one more question. If the three gundam movies are a complilation of the origial series and are better should I skip the series & just watch the movie.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:38 am Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
that told me everything I need to know but I have one more question. If the three gundam movies are a complilation of the origial series and are better should I skip the series & just watch the movie.

By my understanding, that's what quite a few fans have done. It's much easier on the wallet (movie trilogy goes for around $60 depending on where you shop, which would only get the first fifteen or so TV series episodes if you're lucky), plus it tells you everything you need to know without a lot of the unnecessary filler that popped up in the TV series. Of course, whether you prefer to watch your anime with subtitles or dubbed into English is also a majour factor here. The movies are not dubbed into English at all, while the TV series isn't available locally in any other way except English (due to massive deterioration of the original Japanese audio track from years of neglect & such).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:54 am Reply with quote
well I like dubs a little better than subs but I really don't care about what language its in as long as I can understand it. I decided to get the movie boxset but the only one my bestbuys has it the new set with 5 movies. Since it includes millers repot should I still by the 08th ms team series or will the movie tell me everything I need to know.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:12 am Reply with quote
I suggest getting 08th MS Team anyway. Miller's Report only recaps as far as episode eight, and really does more of its own thing than actually recapping the story in full. It's actually more "supplemental material" used to flesh out a certain critical point in the middle of the series than it is a genuine compilation movie.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote
Unfortunetly, i nover got around to watching the rest of War in the pocket which had an interesting story premise from what i could remember. (war between different factions witnessed from a child's perspective.) Maybe one of these days i'll pick up where i left off. Hmm maybe the cartoon network will re-air the series. Then again, i'm not happy with the network's mono audio.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Unfortunetly, i nover got around to watching the rest of War in the pocket which had an interesting story premise from what i could remember. (war between different factions witnessed from a child's perspective.) Maybe one of these days i'll pick up where i left off. Hmm maybe the cartoon network will re-air the series. Then again, i'm not happy with the network's mono audio.

Sorry to get off topic but I love that series. It's actually one of my favorite! It's a bit short though, cartoon network aired it a couple times then took it off. I doubt they'll show it again in the future. Maybe if they have a Gundam Marathon or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Firstly, a humble request to ANN's staff: since this question is asked so much by people who refuse to actually go through old threads and look it up, perhaps one of these "how many Gundam and how should they be watched?" threads should be stickied? Answering the same question literally every other week-and-a-half gets kinda old...

Better yet, since there're already too many stickies at the top of these forums, how about you repost/paraphrase what you wrote into the "General Anime Questions" sticky and refer to that?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Matt Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
cloud1989 wrote:

By my understanding, that's what quite a few fans have done. It's much easier on the wallet (movie trilogy goes for around $60 depending on where you shop, which would only get the first fifteen or so TV series episodes if you're lucky), plus it tells you everything you need to know without a lot of the unnecessary filler that popped up in the TV series. Of course, whether you prefer to watch your anime with subtitles or dubbed into English is also a majour factor here. The movies are not dubbed into English at all, while the TV series isn't available locally in any other way except English (due to massive deterioration of the original Japanese audio track from years of neglect & such).

The 0079 movie trilogy was actually dubbed about 5 years ago. I remember because David Lucas played Char, and it was a different cast than the dubbed 0079 TV Series that Cartoon Network aired back in 2001.

And just my opinion, the 5 dvd boxset of the Gundam movies was mentioned, I'd recommend it, I've seen it for as low as $45 at the local Best Buy.

Zeta Gundam was also recently released in a DVD Box Set, retailing around $200...might wanna wait a bit on that though. With the 3 Zeta movies coming out later and all.

But if you really wanna get it all cheap, I suggest Ebay.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Matt Alan wrote:
Zeta Gundam was also recently released in a DVD Box Set, retailing around $200...might wanna wait a bit on that though. With the 3 Zeta movies coming out later and all.

But if you really wanna get it all cheap, I suggest eBay.

Or you can get it at Deep Discount DVD for the amazing price of $120. I reserved it in September an am a little surprised they didin't sell out by now, but oh well. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet either since I want to rewatch the 0079 movie trilogy and then all of 0083 first. Anime smile
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Matt Alan wrote:
The 0079 movie trilogy was actually dubbed about 5 years ago. I remember because David Lucas played Char, and it was a different cast than the dubbed 0079 TV Series that Cartoon Network aired back in 2001.

True, but this dub is not made available in any of the current DVD releases of the films. The single volumes, stand-alone trilogy box, and movie five-pack all feature the sub-only discs.

Matt Alan wrote:
And just my opinion, the 5 dvd boxset of the Gundam movies was mentioned, I'd recommend it, I've seen it for as low as $45 at the local Best Buy.

Amen to that. I got it for Christmas personally, and absolutely love it. Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy, Char's Counterattack, and Miller's Report all for less than the cost of the Gundam Trilogy box by itself. It's the sort of thing every (and I mean every) halfway serious Gundam fan needs if they don't already have any of these films.
Akumajou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
If you want to see everything in order, watching them in that succession is advised. However, you can skip a few and still be fine. 08th MS and 0080 have practically zero bearing on the story at large, and can be skipped over if you want. 0083, while tying the end of Mobile Suit Gundam & the beginning of Zeta Gundam together in terms of the politics involved, is also not exactly vital to grasping the concept of either series. Lastly, Double Zeta can be skipped, as it has no real bearing on Char's Counterattack (Zeta could be skipped too, really, though it is referenced in the movie fairly often...it's possible to skip, but really not advised at all).

Sorry to go a bit off topic here but being a long time Gundam fan I just had to say that you are so right about the Char's Counterattack having almost no real bearing with the Zeta and Double Zeta stories specially with all of the ridiculous stuff that was done in those two series. I find that people get most confused after watching 0083 Stardust Memories because they assume that because of all of the references to the One Year War, that it be relevant to the first Gundam series, when that 43 ep series was really a series that was trying to break away from the Giant Robot formula of being a glorified toy commecial to please sponsors, hence why that series was cancelled due to poor ratings and found a different audience than the intended target audience.

I also think that newbies to Gundam need to be advised as to the first series age and old style animation so that they have the patience to enjoy the story because every newbie I have encountered is almost always one of these people who think that anime is good because of the awesome animation art styles, probably the same people who thought that it was a good idea to dub Gundam Wing and Seed series before the original 43 ep series.

As for the 6 different universes, its not really, long time Gundam fans may agree that its really only two universes:

Universa Century or UC universe and Alternate Century Universe.

UC tends to deal more with what the first series featured like Newtypes, Ace pilots, politics, and somewhat a near realistic minus some really god-awfull moments like Quess Paraya's infamous physics defying suitless space walk in CCA.

AC tends to deal with the same things UC deals with but in most cases the near realistic rules established in UC are usually broken with super ridiculous moments like the G-Wing first ep featuring a Orbital re-entry in witch the MS survives because of its metal and prior to that the firing of a ridiculous beam that expands to take out an entire battalion all coming from a seemingly standard size beam rifle, G-X's Double X did feature a ridiculously powerfull double shoulder mounted beam cannons that lets just say squashes what G-Wing did, MFG-G features martial arts but at least we know what we can expect given the premise, there is still debate as to if Turn A is part of UC or not and I am not sure but I tend to think so and G-Seed is currently the most UC of the AC series, that is it seems to borrow heavily from UC series but also, due to some timeline reasons could be its own new universe. (Given that I think it was announced it was an AC series)

The best part of the UC universe is when it comes to videogames since a MS from G-Wing would not make not even the most realistic sense of reality in the UC universe unless the game features an alternate mode or is part of the Super Robot Taisen series that mixes up different universes. On that note an MS from Victory Gundam would be far too advanced UC technology to be fighting against a MS from Zeta Gundam.

Other than that I agree with the chronology just as long as people understand that the tv series cannot be compared to side story OVAs like 8th MS, 0080, 0083, etc because tv series have a totally different purpose that OVAs.

Also if the person really enjoys Gundam, then Gundam Evolve and the Gundam videogames may also be recommendable since they feature short scenes and short stories for the enjoyment of the Gundam fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1