• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
a naruto dbz connection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graywolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
now dont attack me but i was just wondering. i know that my anime account says i watched all of Naruto but that was because i thought they were stoping in the 90 something.Embarassed

any way the series seems to remind me of DBZ (long periods of talking to tell eveyone whats going on fallowed by three episod fighting.)I still say it was done better and had way more deepth, but cant help finding the connections.

Have i snifed to many magic markers or is there some thing i dont know?

Sad NOT IN THE FACE! Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd call those similarities rather than connections since there's really nothing linking the two shows together, but they do have some things in common.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Well, I'd call those similarities rather than connections since there's really nothing linking the two shows together, but they do have some things in common.

Emerje

I agree, they have some things in common the long fight scenes, consisting mostly of talking, but I'm not a picky person so I don't mind. I do believe it has more depth that Dragonball Z though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
I do believe it has more depth that Dragonball Z though...

Are you kidding or what?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
DBZ's fight scenes seem to have grunting and glowing while Naruto's have panning over facial expressions and flashbacks. They both drag on too long, although individual battles seem to take longer in DBZ.
msi435

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
Naruto is DBZ with ninja's and better writing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
DB/Z is very probably among the influences of Naruto's manga-ka. When they started Shonen Jump here, they asked top 3 favs of all the writers, & DB/Z was on almost everyone's list.
Notice how Shuda/Rave Master looks like a fan art version of Vegeta? Dragon-guy's human form(forget his name right now) does also. In the first volume of Jing:King of Bandits, Jing looks eerily similar to DBZ's Goku(like the adult version made into a kid vs the DB version of Goku), although the author moved away from that in later issues.
Talk of the face that launched a thousand ships, DB/Z changed the face of manga & thus anime. In a Newtype Toei interview, a Toei exec commented prior to DB shonen manga was notorious for poor art-that Toriyama's art was revolutionary in its day.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
frostedsaiyan wrote:
I do believe it has more depth that Dragonball Z though...

Are you kidding or what?

Wasn't really but I'm starting to get the feeling of regret for saying it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Meh, if you can't handle watching long fights in DBZ, read the manga instead. Fights are like 5-10 pages. It's just that Toei wanted each chapter to be an episode or something like that and thought that if they did that, then an episode would be like 10 minutes which was why they just had to extend the fights. Then again, that didn't stop DBZ from being one of the most revolutionary animes of all time.

I don't think Naruto could recapture that kind of revolution, but manga-ka's always have influences on one another. Toriyama-sensei has influenced other manga-ka's like Katsura Masakazu-sensei of Video Girl Ai and DNA, and of course he influenced Kishomoto-sensei.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
graywolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
i see so it is aiming for the same fan group
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
No, it's aiming for the same 6-12 year olds that DBZ did. To sell them toys and other merchandise while cranking out hundreds of repetative mindless episodes.

So yes, it is the heir apparent to DBZ, but not in the way you think it is.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
DB/Z aired at 7:30 pm-family viewing time in Japan. Thus the target audience was, like Case Closed & InuYasha, families--something mom & dad would be comfortable & enjoy watching with the kids. It's not meant as our Saturday morning babysit the kids Saturday morning fare.
Yeah 6-12 yr olds enjoyed seeing Vegeta & Goku's naked rear ends. Vegeta's, at least, was a fan-service moment. Vegeta is much cooler in the Japanese version. And 6 yr-olds really relate to Kakashi reading Make-out Paradise.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
And 6 yr-olds really relate to Kakashi reading Make-out Paradise.

Kids don't have to connect with every single character in a show. Just look at Master Roshi in DBZ, he's 20x worse than Kakashi and Jiraiya combined.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
But we Americans do like to belittle things by saying it's for kids. I'm 44 & believe me, my co-workers think I'm insane for liking anime because everyone in my generation knows cartoons are for kids.
I was shocked watching Addams Family yrs later. I watched it as a kid, but I never got the double entendre.
Kyo Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
yeah i have to agree but.....i like Naruto alot better than DBZ ecspecially more than GT i dont reall care that much for DBZ GT
but Naruto i love that anime but i like the manga better....the Bleach manga is pretty good to have any of u read that...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2