• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
inspiration from anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quote
Have any of you ever been inspired by an anime to do somthing not anime related?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
That's a really cool question! I have been inspired by anime, in a way; I was a theatre student in school, and studied a ton of Shakespeare and Commedia del Arte, an old Italian comedy style. I got sooooo sick of them; at first I liked the stuff, but pretty soon it was just classroom assignments, and even though I had good professors, it got so very old.

Then I got hooked on Ranma, and eventually I realized that Ranma, which I enjoyed, was just the latest version of the kinds of stories Commedia and Shakespeare's comedies were about. Ranma rekindled my enjoyment of the material I was studying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I should have put this in my first post. Anime smile + sweatdrop

R.O.D. has inspired me to read more. Why? I have no idea. It just did. So i read more than most people do my age and...more advanced stuff i guss....

FLCL, Haruko inspired me to play my Bass. I was playing it before i saw FLCL and was playing it 24/7 but now.....im playing it 2x as hard and 25/8....
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ya definitely, bebop inspired me to make music, not to sell my self but you can check it out at www.soundclick.com/mellophonic it's low quality but it's the music that counts!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Word! Very Happy I don't think many people realize how much of an inspiration and influence visual arts can be to musicians and songwriters. When I first started toying around with writing music and lyrics, I was watching serial experiments: Lain constantly. In the past couple of years, I've been very inspired by Haibane. But I really need an anime to inspire me to get off my lazy rear and get everything put together and recorded! Confused
Perfectsword, props for a unique thread Cool
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It inspired me to start learning the Japanese Language. But I think that the same is true for many anime fans.
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
A lot of things inspires the music I write - anime is definitely one of them.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I taught myself Go because of Hikaru No Go. -_-;;

God forbid I should ever get hooked on Yakitate!! Japan.
biliano*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Excellent question, Perfectsword. Wink

I'm with kamiboy in saying that anime has inspired me to learn more about the Japanese language and Japanese culture. Anime also inspired me to learn how to make curry.

As far as anime series, Kaleido Star inspired me to always do your best and never give up, no matter how difficult the situation might be.
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Duh!
If it wasn`t for anime I would never get interested in the japanese language, and then I wouldnt be here at the Japanese Philology Department, and probably wouldnt meet my japanese fiancee... I guess I owe alot to anime.
Also it inspired me to play Go and practice Aiki Jujitsu.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Anime inspired me to do a lot of new and interesting things. It also helps me progress in some things I'm doing now. One of the things it's inspired me to do is look into Japanese culture more. Focus, more on Asian subjects and such. I'm really interested by it. Also, I've applied some of the ways characters do things to help me in some of my goals. I want to become a professional skateboarder, so if I get scared to ollie a set of stairs, I actually think what someone like Naruto would do, and how he wouldn't back down. It pushes me to do it. Also, anime has given me interests in the martial arts. I've been looking into the different styles for a while now, seeing if I want to study under any. Well, I'm sure there are many other things I could put down, but I can't think of anymore, heh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I taught myself Go because of Hikaru No Go. -_-;;

God forbid I should ever get hooked on Yakitate!! Japan.

Actually I did the same thing...I downloaded and played with people online. I still have to play Cookie. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies inspired me to kill myself
Just kidding - but it did make me feel like I'd never be cheerfull again - like a Dementor.

Actually, I'm like Perfect Sword. Anime has enspired me to read more too. I've been reading every manga I can get my hands on - even the Yuu Watase stuff my sister's got. It's just like reading the book a movie was based on - the book (manga) is better in almost every case, but it's fun to see it in full motion. I've also been watching Saiyuki (very slowly - TAN), and then took a break to re-watch the ROD OVA. I came to the part where they were fighting Genjo, and found out that Saiyuki is based on an old book. Now I want to get my hands on it - it can't be any worse than the Anime Wink
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Onegai teacher inspire me to marry my hot alien teacher

GTO inspire me to become a perverted teacher who end up helping my student out.

Thank you anime.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Comic Party inspired me to try drawing comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3