• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can I get a Manga site that is responsable???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see a manga review site they never update.

Mangabits: they haven't updated their site since July.

Mangamaniacs: they haven't since August... OF LAST YEAR!!!

The site that update are shojo manga sites

I don't nothing against Shojo or Shojo manga sites but It not only thing out there and people who like Manga don't have a good, all-around, updated manga site.

So unless theres a good manga review site that somebody can tell me I don't see a site that promotes one of Japan's biggest export.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
How about Animeondvd.com, they have a manga review section that is constantly being updated.

I always thought about geting a couple of expert reviewer together and starting a manga-datebase type site, kind of like animenfo but focusing on manga.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote
[url]icomics.com[/url] has perhapse the most diverse assortment of manga reviews on the net, and it updates fairly normally.
[url]comicreaders.com[/url] also has tons great reviews and updates frequently (and one of their reviewers, Chad Boudreau, has recently started posting here).
cboudreau

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the plug, Kagemusha. That's right, dmanjdb, http://www.comicreaders.com reviews manga, although we don't review as many as we'd like to. The truth of the matter is, there is a lot of manga that needs reviewing, but we don't have enough writers. So, if anyone is interested, make sure you get in contact with me. Smile

I would have to agree with dmanjdb's comments about manga review Web sites in general. It IS tough to find a really, really good manga review site. Personally, whenever I do a search on the 'net for manga, I almost always get a list of anime Web sites in my results. That makes sense obviously considering the relationship between manga and anime, but a review of the anime doesn't really tell me what to expect from a manga.

What I'd also like to be able to find is a Web site that has reviews of hot manga currently being published in Japan, that is not yet published in North America. (I should add a note here and specify that the site should be in English, since I don't know Japanese.) I've been working on making just such an idea into a column for comicreaders.com, but I'm having a hard time tracking down some good information in this regard (although I will say some of posters on this forum have given me good leads).
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you everybody for the sites!!!

I wish I can help you on the reviews but my grammar is horrible.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
cboudreau wrote:
Thanks for the plug, Kagemusha. That's right, dmanjdb, http://www.comicreaders.com reviews manga, although we don't review as many as we'd like to. The truth of the matter is, there is a lot of manga that needs reviewing, but we don't have enough writers. So, if anyone is interested, make sure you get in contact with me. Smile

After browsing your website, I notice another good review for Nambul. I think this manga should deserve more respect because unlike most manga, the context is important. Even though it got good review on many site, it never get the same respect/attention from the general manga fans in the U.S., probably because it's niether shonen or shoujo.

Can't wait to check out Hyun Se Lee's work: Mythology of the Heavens.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:22 am Reply with quote
I would really like a website devoted to manga in Japan as well, but alas I have yet to find one. I recenty read that Warren Ellis is reading a bunch of scanslations lately, so maybe artbomb will post some of their witty reviews in the future. Some friends of mine are interested in starting a site about manga, so maybe I can get involved and write some good reviews for things that have yet to be published in English. Based on what's being said around the net, I'm really eager to read Japan Tengu Party Illustrated, which is by an amazingly inovative manga-ka and has had comparisons to Akira and Nausicaa thrown about.
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
ANN for some time has wanted to increase the amount of manga it reviews. As others has posted, there's SO MUCH manga that has or is being published, it's VERY hard to keep up. It is disappointing to see the website you listed not be updated. I was disappointed to see Manga BonBons close this year.

Also, there's been more regular books about manga coming out. Here's an example.
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-1856693910-0
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:21 am Reply with quote
I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about Nambul, but, yes, this is a seriously underappreciated series. I'm in a rather fortunate situation as CPM has been shipping me each volume of Nambul for review purposes, so I'll be able to follow the series as continues.

Of Lee's other work, the only one I've checked out so far was Hard Boiled Angel. It consists of short cop/detective stories. It doesn't have the drama of Nambul, but it is still interesting; kind of like City Hunter, if the protagonist was a woman.

Back to the topic at hand...

There seems to be a lot of interest from manga fans for reviews of manga, both translated and Japanese. I better get cracking on more reviews for comicreaders.com! Seriously though, I too like mangabits and mangamaniacs and was sorry to see that they've not updated in a while.
Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
hahaha I have had the same problem. I just decided to not look for one Very Happy. IT is hard to find a consistent manga review site because a bunch of them are just fan sites that are probalby controlled by one or two people. Smile
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I think the review section on ANN seriously need a make over with more 1 or 2 more staff to review
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ANN does kinda-weekly manga reviews with Liann's Right Turn Only column. Also, we've been slowly increasing the number of manga reviews on the site.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ANN does kinda-weekly manga reviews with Liann's Right Turn Only column. Also, we've been slowly increasing the number of manga reviews on the site.

I mean the manga review are mix in with the anime review, I relly think it should have it's own area.
Plus it's hard to find information on a title, without having to go through all the RTO.
Victoronehalf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The lack of good manga sites out there is distressing. I simply do not understand why everyone is so obsessed with anime, when manga is such a larger industry.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Here's another site.
http://www.geocities.com/sgonhue/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2