• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bebop soundtrack

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
I finally found the cowboy bebop soundtrack (volume 1), and I"ve been listening to it nonstop since I got it. its even better because now I"ll be watching the show and recognize the songs in it

I played Tank! for my drum teacher, and he was suprised that is wasn't done by session musicians in new york
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
I played Tank! for my drum teacher, and he was suprised that is wasn't done by session musicians in new york

Heh, yeah. I let my music history and music appeication teachers listen to it, and they were hooked. They even played the CD during class for a few minutes.

And actually, if you listen to track 2, "Rush," there's another version of it on the 3rd OST, Blue, where that rendition is played by NY musicians, hence the title, '"N.Y. Rush," which is also a pretty good piece in itself. Anime hyper
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
sweet
eventually I'll end up accumulating all the discs of the soundtrack, I just know I will Smile

we were going to try to let our band director let us play tank! in jazz band, but then we realized that theres about 5 layers of drum tracks and I'm only one person Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The bebop soundtrack is by far the best in any anime ever made, yoko kanno, i love you...... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
If you enjoy OST 1, don't hesitate to buy the other soundtracks. And if your music teacher likes "Tank!", have him listen to "What Planet is This?" from Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door OST Future Blues.

The OST Box is also highly recommended, as disc 4 features the Seatbelts live in concert.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Toboe06

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
we were going to try to let our band director let us play tank! in jazz band, but then we realized that theres about 5 layers of drum tracks and I'm only one person Laughing

Five? Wow. Do you remember what other instruments were required for that chart? (Or where you found the actual music?) I would really like for my high school jazz band to try it too, if we can.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ya'll might want to check out Dizzy Gillespie; I was listening to some of his old albums, and it seems to me that he was a strong influence on Yoko Kanno's jazz ensemble tracks. I'd imagine your band leaders could dig up some of Gillespie's arrangements, and the result would be pretty close to doing Tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dizzy is awesome Smile

toboe - I never found an arrangement. I just listened to the song over and over and over and counted all the different layers I heard for the drums.
the other instruments are (I believe):
trumpets
trombone
bass
alto sax
probably bari and tenor saxes, too
and at the very end of the song theres the soprano sax
I don't think theres a guitar

keep in mind that this is just guessing, I haven't seen an acutal list for the song.
Toboe06

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks anyway. By the way, I don't know if there are multiple versions of Tank! but the one I have includes a guitar. (It's doubling the bass line, and is kind of hard to hear except for the scratch of the strings.) It also has a gospel organ, and you're right about the percussion; it's likely compiled of a standard drumset, congas, and a shaker and/or maracas.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:16 am Reply with quote
yeah, in the version on the c.d. theres a set, congas, a snare drum (with sticks), a snare drum (with brushes), and some other odds and ends

where'd you hear the version with the organ?
Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is interested, you can check out this website, it's all about them, rfblues.aaanime.net/Seatbelts . It's really cool and has list of the musicians and other info. Really, if your a fan, you might find this really interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
man, I forgot completely about that site!

its a great site
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1