• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your favorite theme?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok..

Based on the manga titles you read often, what is your favorite theme? By topic I mean, say, you like both Ranma 1/2 and...Futaba-kun Change. The theme you favor would be gender-bending. (Sorry, I can't get this out right...if someone has a better word for me to replace "topic" with, it will sound better.)

For me, although I just barely realized it, the favorite theme is something along the lines of ronin and samurai. For example, Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal. There's just a certain element in them that I really like, possibly that the protagonist is (usually) invincible, or maybe that they kill a lot of people. But for sure, this is the one type of manga I would buy ALWAYS.

And please, try to make it as specific as possible. No genres, please.

Last edited by xjadedragon750x on Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
I believe the term you're looking for is either "theme" or "cliché", or possibly "stereotype".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I first thought this was going to be which topic from the forum we like more, hehe ^^

Anyways. I use to like stories with magic, fantasy, and...hum...why not? A bit of love never is bad, huh? I can't say I would buy them ALWAYS, but most titles I have read have been (for me) really interesting, and I'm managing to know if there's any way to read some mangas of this style, such as Suikoden III.

Why? Those arguments entertain me, and I'm expecting from most mangas to entertain myself while I read them...
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I guess what I like most is Reality. But that doesnt mean I hate fantasy (on the contrary Wink i am big fantasy geek Razz). But I like every story to have a sense of reality to it.
For example - if the main character is a medium level fighter I dont want to see him kicking the crap out of the main villain. I also like it if the characters act accordingly to their nature and have alot character development.I guess thats it.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Alright. I've changed it. There's a lot of repetition, but theme is the word I was looking for.

I left the stuff alone so people wouldn't get confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It's somewhat trite, but I'm enthralled by the theme of "fallen angels," or various takes on it.

(Incidentally, this is my first post in this forum. Should I celebrate? Or introduce myself? Or shut up?)
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
It's somewhat trite, but I'm enthralled by the theme of "fallen angels," or various takes on it.

(Incidentally, this is my first post in this forum. Should I celebrate? Or introduce myself? Or shut up?)

You should definitely introduce yourself! (There is a thread for introductions in this forum but, I'm sorry, I don't know how to link to it. Anime smile + sweatdrop ) Anyways, welcome!

I personally gravitate towards romance in general, but more specifically I like slice- of- life/ first love type stories where the characters are fairly ordinary, meaning no magical powers or anything like that, and most of what goes on is everyday stuff. Stories where characters can't (insert magical incantation, individual fight technique name, etc. here) their way out of a pinch. I almost always try out series like that.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
I fall easily for the "girl gets sucked into another world" themed story lines. Fushigi Yugi, Red River, and Far From Away are a couple of my favorites. Basara falls into this category even though the girl already lives in the other world. Oh, and Desert Coral too but that time the guy gets sucked into the other world.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1