• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
fruits basket and gender ambiguity and family

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grungygrunty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:24 am Reply with quote
okay everyone posting for help with a paper (for any one in my class hello Very Happy you know who you are )

any way im writing about fruitsbasket and how it relates to gender ie the boys that dress and act like girls and how tohru and the somas represent a family and how this relates to japanese culture.

any help will much apreciated, thanks
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:48 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand what you're asking about. Like, you're using the fact that Tohru, Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure living together represent a "family" -- ok. So why choose Fruits Basket?

Also, the two guys that dress like girls (with the exception of Yuki in that one instance) - what about them? I mean, what is the premise for focusing on Momiji and his school uniform and uhh...the monkey boy?

Not trying to shoot your topic down, just trying to get you to clarify your post a bit.
grungygrunty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:43 am Reply with quote
im using fruits basket because it is my favorite show, i know it like the back of my hand. Im trying to write a paper on the gender ambiguity ofthe male characters, such as momiji and ritsu, and how it relates to the japanese culture. questions going through my head is that can this be from kabuki? and stuff like that.

The family thing comes from the fact that the Japanese culture is very family oriented. Tohru goes to live with Yuki and the rest even after her grandfather returns (true her family sucks) but that breaks the traditional family apart. Fruits Basket shows a different perspective on the family, i was just wondering if anyone had an idea on what that says about the japanese society. If any thing.

ps. thanks for the reply
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:58 am Reply with quote
I would recommend you look into some of things for what could be considered "legitimate sources" in an english class. You won't get very far if you use an internet forum as your source; as for the topics your discussing I am unfortunately ignorant of them mostly except that the japanese family is a very vital part of their lives (normally). If I am mistaken on even that someone please correct me; I wish you much luck with your paper.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but it may be beneficial for you to mention that

(manga spoiler)spoiler[Akito is actually a woman.]
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey I myself am Japanese, but I always wondered where that trend comes from and how it gets into anime. I also have been told many possible reasons for this, but none seem to be right.

Here are some of the reasons I was told:
1. The loss of male "masculinity" due to the defeat of WWII.
2. Part of the Ikiyo culture during the Tokugawa Era (1600-1867)
3. Part of some weird "mother complex": possibly its recent trend or older.
4. Just some weird stuff they put in to make it more entertaining.

Maybe this might help you if you plan to look for serious reasons. Confused
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Because you know Fruits Basket like the back of your hand, or it's your favourite show, doesn't nessecerally make it the wisest of choices when it comes to writing an assessment piece. Step back, think about it, and make sure the things you are discussing are actually in the show, and that you're not just heaping a bunch of sentiment on things that are for the most part completely normal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1