• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A little snow fairy sugar

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... I like this show more than I want to admit. The review on this site for the show is pretty accurate. Yes, it's very cute. Yes the beautiful music does sorta soften the cuteness a bit, and yes, it makes me think of L'il bits and Noozles. Maybe that's why I like it.

So who else likes this show? Any other guys?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I think it deserves a higher rating (currently 6.70549, rank: #678); I rated it Excellent (9). Being cute 'n' sweet does not necessarily equal to being shallow. With its loving story (with no offending material at all), cute characters, fantastic background artwork, beautiful music, and solid voice performance, it's the best anime series for children and any adult who wants to re-experience the happiness of carefree simplicity as a child.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Damn straight. A Little Snow Fairy Sugar is an excellent anime title for all ages. And "Sugar Baby Love" was the reason I bought Yoko Ishida's Sweets CD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I used my kids as an excuse to buy this series because I like it too. I even liked the dub.
kainzero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
this is a PHENOMENAL title. yes, it is very "sugary" (ohhhhh punnnnned). however, i thought the beginning episodes may have thrown a few people off, because it WAS pretty boring as they look for kirameki.

but the story arcs turn good when sugar "runs away" from saga. the bear pianist was a great story arc, and it's the character growth between saga and sugar is really nice throughout the entire series. the final story arc was some killer drama too.

i remember reading that saga's tale is not a tale about growth, but a tale about regression back into childhood. i found that really interesting as well.

spoiler[watching sugar trying to prevent the flower from growing was so sad Crying or Very sad ]

oh yea! the teacher is hot! and ginger too!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I used my kids as an excuse to buy this series because I like it too. I even liked the dub.

I dont have kids, so I have no excuse to use if I buy it, unforutnately. It's not something I want to be seen picking up. But I do still want it.

I got teary at the end of the Bear Pianist arc, cos I'm a pussy.

I'm not done with the series yet, so I dont want to know anymore than what has been said, which is pretty much nothing, but is more than I really want to know.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:29 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one to use this little ploy Wink .

I've always wanted to see this series, ever since I saw that little fairy "splat" into the window on the trailers. Looks cute. And cute in not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of times I need "cute" or innocent after being traumatized by things like the ending of Figure 17, or Evangelion. Actually, I used Excel Saga as shock therapy to wash EVA EoE out of my mind.

Unfortunately none of my local area rental stores carry the full series, only a single DVD or two......., argh! But it's my intention to buy the series sight unseen one day soon. And from the enthusiastic replies I've seen here, that doesn't sound like a bad thing either, "cute" or not Smile .
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I just finished it. I got choked up. How embarrassing. But it was really touching. The cuteness never got to be too much. It was definately part of the shows charm. However there was one ep where it did-the turtle/dove episode. Ye gods. That one was hard to watch. This really is a good one. I've never used so many short sentances at once.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Aww, you guys are making this show sound really good. Now I'm going to have to go see it. I like cute stuff in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rektagunn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
molloaggie wrote:

I don't have kids, so I have no excuse to use if I buy it, unforutnately. It's not something I want to be seen picking up. But I do still want it.

Yeah, you don't need to have kids as an excuse to buy and like it too. It's one of those shows that if you know what to expect (i.e. a laid back show for the whole family without any of the action-packed scenes and / or catastrophic events so typical in anime nowadays), then you'll enjoy it. I approached it that way and I love it!
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
molloaggie wrote:

I don't have kids, so I have no excuse to use if I buy it, unforutnately. It's not something I want to be seen picking up. But I do still want it.

I got teary at the end of the Bear Pianist arc, cos I'm a pussy.

I'm not done with the series yet, so I don't want to know anymore than what has been said, which is pretty much nothing, but is more than I really want to know.

If you don't have kids, then you probably don't have anybody that you'd need to be making excuses to anyway!

It was really funny when the kids caught me sniffling and felt the need to comfort me. This series just reminds everybody of the small things that mean a lot to your friends.
Maclam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
yes this show is a very good and i'll probably end up buying it sooner or later.

This serie somehow make me nostalgic, it's sweet as it can be and there's awesome lesson you could learn out of it Smile

Kinda remind me those classic disney Smile
not the new one where there's songs for 75% of their show Smile
Sugar Baby Love

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
sugar fanatics listen to me i plan to send a mail to geneon (one of company holding this anime) demanding a request to create a prequel of sugar: a little snow fairy with a good ending a scene with the reunion of sugar and saga. the reason why i need all of you? in order for them to do this we need to mail flood their site to show the great demand for this great anime. my plan is to share the word through the web through different forums of anime that have relationship with this anime and ask their support to join this mail flooding if you know some sites please help so we could have a good ending with this cute anime

PS let us help saga and sugar reunite by sending mails of request to the different companies and production related to this anime
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
Sugar Baby Love wrote:
*Spoileriffic NecroPost*

Way to go ruining the ending for those who haven't seen it Rolling Eyes Yeah, good luck with that, because Geneon (who didn't have anything to do with actually making the anime, aside from the translation, dubbing, etc. ) probably won't be so receptive of the requests of one fan who happens to be dissatisfied with the ending. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Somehow, I don't think this is what they meant by "use the Search function to look for your topic" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

To add my own comments--I'm a guy, I like cute anime in general, and I loved this series, even the ending--it was very appropriate for the story and was conclusive, which you don't see in many anime. I'm not embarrassed about liking it or about shedding a few tears--my only embarrassment is not buying the DVDs sooner than I did.

(Mods, I don't mind if this post is deleted/sacrificed if you want to send this thread back to the graveyard.)
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, u guys have all seen so many anime titles that i've never even heard of. I'm sad seeing how little I actually know. This series sounds interested, I will definitely check it out once im get a break from everything.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2