• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Angel Alita L.O. Availability

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I shelved Battle Angel Alita Last Order on my "to read" list for a while and I recently decided to follow up and actually do it. After reading the first volume, I'm hooked and decided to commit to reading the series. However, I noticed a trend of unavailability from most major providers I normally check with (Rightstuf, amazon, borders, etc.). It's not impossible to find, but you have to stretch yourself a bit in terms of flexibility (and dollars) in order to get the volumes you want. Does anyone know why this is the case? You can order them straight from Viz, but the website says there's only 1 copy available for some volumes!

For such a relatively new manga, isn't it a bit strange there's so few copies of it available? Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, why does volume 3 cost 18 dollars compared to the standard 10 dollar price tag that is applied for the other volumes?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Viz has some serious reprint issues with its series that aren't Naruto or Vampire Knight. I like to imagine that it throws a dart at a dart board to decide which obscure series to reprint next.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I don't buy manga often so I didn't know Viz was so inconsistent. I'm still puzzled why Volume 3 is so much more expensive.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote
basically they only print x amount of books based on y amount of sales of the previous volume. Its why you can always managed to get vol.1 of a series but the mid volumes disapear first. volumes 5 6 and 7 of Last order were the hardest for me to get.

If i could go back in time id have not bought so much anime and got more manga and i would have kept up with all the series i wanted as now I've got back onto it im kinda overwealmed and finding all these great series to start aint helping lol.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
I am interested in this series too (mainly because it is so popular) but if there is a film being released for this, I would assume that someone, hopefully Darkhorse, would re-release it as it would be more likely to get higher sales afterwards. For this reason, I will be holding back before trying to empty my wallet on this series.

I have taken a different approach to series with already OOP titles. I am going to ignore them until there is nothing else to buy. I am more worried about manga ceasing to be published in book format or in English at all than I am about spending lots of money. For that reason, I would much rather spend £100 on 15 books at RRP or less than on 1 book where 97% goes to the rare-books dealer.

Don't get me wrong, I will still go back and get these books eventually....and at the expensive cost if necessary.
englaived

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
wow i guess im lucky, my girlfriend and I moved recently and i found a box full of BAA mangas just finished volume 9 today. great read
vilmaxiii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
ebay is pretty much best place to go i see set's sellinbg al the time rangeing from full vol1 to 12 for $150 or even low bids at like 45$ keep an eye out!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1