• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beckett manga? No more kenshin? Is it me or does this suck?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animage~

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Do you sometimes feel like anime has taken a downfall in the last year? First Beckett, the publishers of tcg magazines started publishing anime magazines obsessant on 'noob' anime like yu-gi-oh and pokeman. Then they started publishing reversed manga and such. I feel like my eyes have been greatly "killed type word". Then Kenshin had been replaced by Justice League on toonami (this happened a long time ago mind you). Do you feel like your life has been wronged by 2004?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Animage~ wrote:
Do you sometimes feel like anime has taken a downfall in the last year? First Beckett, the publishers of tcg magazines started publishing anime magazines obsessant on 'noob' anime like yu-gi-oh and pokeman. Then they started publishing reversed manga and such. I feel like my eyes have been greatly "killed type word". Then Kenshin had been replaced by Justice League on toonami (this happened a long time ago mind you). Do you feel like your life has been wronged by 2004?

Kodocha, FMA, Slam Dunk and several other big titles got licensed this year. THis year sees the release of the forever delayed Gundam Zeta. Kenshin is out on four DVD collections (one OAV set from ADV, 3 from Media Blasters. Directors cut version of seisouhen this year for what its worth). Madman Ent. licensed nearly the entirety of Studio Ghibli's catalouge and even got Princess Mononoke (which was seen as impossible due to Miramax). Justice League is 1. better, and 2. doesn't have a DVD release anyway. Big O II came out. So no, even if Anime was my life (which it isn't), I don't feel wrong simply because Beckett decided to jump aboard of a horribly mangled version of Kenshin got pulled from the public.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Animage~ wrote:
Do you sometimes feel like anime has taken a downfall in the last year?

Why? If you actually look, the industry just keeps growing and improving, really.

Animage~ wrote:
First Beckett, the publishers of tcg magazines started publishing anime magazines obsessant on 'noob' anime like yu-gi-oh and pokeman.

They've been doing this for the longest time. I seem to recall them publishing DBZ rags (and yes, they are rags) as far back as around 2000. This is hardly new, and it seems as though Bucket's grossly overshadowed by the likes of Newtype & Anime Insider anyway.

Animage~ wrote:
Then they started publishing reversed manga and such.

What are you talking about? The past couple years saw unflipped manga become the norm. Prior to that, it was all flipped, but lately that's becoming a growing taboo.

Animage~ wrote:
Then Kenshin had been replaced by Justice League on toonami

And Rurouni Cut-up replaced Gundam SEED on Toonami even more recently. Don't worry, your bastardised & butchered shell of a once-great show is still running, it just got pushed over by a superior product (even if it did push out another superior product...).

Animage~ wrote:
Do you feel like your life has been wronged by 2004?

Hardly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animage~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:06 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Animage~ wrote:
Then they started publishing reversed manga and such.

What are you talking about? The past couple years saw unflipped manga become the norm. Prior to that, it was all flipped, but lately that's becoming a growing taboo.

When I say reversed manga i mean that it reads like an american book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Animage~ wrote:
When I say reversed manga i mean that it reads like an american book.

Left-to-right, you mean?

Yeah, and I'm telling you that within the past couple years, the original right-to-left format has become the norm. Viz, Dark Horse, and the like used to flip manga to a Western format way back when they first got into the domestic manga business. But thanks to companies like TokyoPop & ADV, the whole notion of leaving manga intact has become standard and barely anyone even does "Westernised" or "flipped" manga anymore.

Basically, you've got your facts backwards when you say "they started publishing reversed manga and such."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:04 am Reply with quote
Animage~ wrote:
Do you sometimes feel like anime has taken a downfall in the last year? First Beckett, the publishers of tcg magazines started publishing anime magazines obsessant on 'noob' anime like yu-gi-oh and pokeman.

Given the quality of such rags, I can't see how some parent would justify paying $9.99 for one of them. Makes Newtype's price hike look like a bargain in my mind.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:32 am Reply with quote
When popular and good anime have been liscenced all year round you would think this has been one of the best years yet but if you hat all recent anime then this might be a problem.
Dragononi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like the Anime Insider mag myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animage~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
When popular and good anime have been liscenced all year round you would think this has been one of the best years yet but if you hat all recent anime then this might be a problem.

I like contemporary anime. I dont like the newer ideas like hentai and video game based anime:(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1